Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Volkswagen GTI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i got slammed into, not my fault, i am ok and the cars left side pretty much has to be replaced. I am picking it up today after 5 weeks. I was truly surprised they did not total it but whatever. So after today i will probably take it to the dealership to see what my trade in value is now after the wreck. Its a 2018 xt touring and i have only had it 6 months. Does anyone else here get rid of a car if you have been in a wreck, cars are never the same after they are wrecked i think. Anyway i am probably going to try to get depreciation value etc. too. I might look at the newer foresters or wait for the new Outback. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 Volkswagen GTI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing i did was get a lawyer. I also got banged up a bit and have been seeing a Chiropractor for a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
I've tried to keep cars after a wreck...I've never had one with major issues but It truly is never the same to the most picky...the paint never matches 100%, panels don't always line up just right..and sometimes just knowing it has been wrecked weighs too heavy on my mind.

Diminished value you're entitled to...and on a brand new vehicle it should be a fairly sizable amount if it was a major repair as it sounds it was. I wouldn't trade until you get a diminished value check.

·
Registered
2016 Volkswagen GTI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah totally not going to until i get a check. It is probably a mental thing but after a wrecked vehicle i cannot stop thinking about it lol.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Premium 6-speed manual
177 Posts
My bought new 2002 Golf GLS TDI got hit in an intersection in my native San Francisco in 2009 and the front end was ripped off from right to left . CSAA /AAA deemed the car in such good condition that they repaired it, even though the cost of repairs were less than a thousand dollars below the write off value. Repairs were $10k +.

I new an outstanding body shop that focused on European cars. They realign the engine compartment and repaired a bumper mounting bracket. One new fender, new hood, and all new parts forward of the radiator. The car drove straight and true after repairs. Only the paint, a metallic beige, was the give away, if you looked very, very close to the surface, that the car was hit.

We sold the car at 178k miles four years later when we moved out of state to a person that wanted our TDI real bad. They paid full market price knowing it had been hit and repaired, as we were the original owners and they approved of the body repairs. It still had its original clutch too.

I had a perfect Audi 4000CS quattro in the mid-late 1990s that was t-boned on the driver's side by a 3/4 ton Chevy pick up. The B-pillar and the doors on the driver's were pushed into the passenger compartment over 100 mm. The roof slightly buckled. AAA wrote it off. I sold the wreck to a VW /Audi salvage yard and the owner rebuilt the car for his son.

The Golf's damage and repairs were in the end not as major as they looked. The Audi, in my own view was totaled. I would not have kept it as I would not want a car hit that hard, even repaired according to Audi's procedures or not. AAA sent me a check without even bringing the idea of repairs up for the Audi.

What to do is really is what works best for your needs verses the value of keeping the car. Good Luck!

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,900 Posts
I was in a similar situation a number of years ago with a 6 month old Honda Civic, long before diminished value laws. I was driving it home from it's first oil change when a delivery truck made a right turn from the left lane while I was along side in the right lane. The truck wiped out the entire left side of my Civic, crushed the roof and damaged both right wheels as my car was pushed up against a straight curb. It was so wrecked it had to be towed. I thought for sure it was a total but the truck driver's insurance company decided to repair it.

After getting it back from the body shop a month later, I knew I didn't want to keep it so I shopped it at my local Honda dealers and sold it to the dealer making the highest offer. In the meantime I shopped for an identical new car and bought from the dealer with the lowest price. (Sold and bought from different dealers.) I then pursued my out-of-pocket loss with the truck driver's insurance company. After a long battle and my refusal to sign a release for some very minor injuries, the insurance company finally relented and reimbursed me for my out-of-pocket loss in conjunction with me signing a full release of claims.

Based upon my experience, your injuries are your leverage with the insurance company in making you whole. But your state's diminished value laws may dictate how much your are entitled to for the vehicle damage part of your claim. You may have to make up any property damage deficiency on the injury side of your claim.

·
Registered
2016 Volkswagen GTI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So get this..

I get my car back yesterday and as i am driving home i look in the rear view mirror. I noticed the doors don't line up and the door on the driver set is not correct. I then start to notice there is air noise from the window. Ugh.. so i get home and start really inspecting things. Here is the list i came up with.

• Scratches on the right side, not there before and that side was not wrecked
  • Auto Windows don't work
  • Auto locks don't work
  • Chrome bent on drivers side door
  • Door creeks and clicks when opening
  • Door does not line up
  • foam left under windshield
  • Car was filthy
  • Paint impurities in the driver side door, they were supposed to replace this and paint

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Premium 6-speed manual
177 Posts
I get my car back yesterday and as i am driving home i look in the rear view mirror. I noticed the doors don't line up and the door on the driver set is not correct. I then start to notice there is air noise from the window. Ugh.. so i get home and start really inspecting things. Here is the list i came up with.

• Auto locks don't work
  • Door does not line up
  • Car was filthy
  • Paint impurities in the driver side door, they were supposed to replace this and paint

If these repairs were covered under your insurance, I would take it up with them. Manufactures, like Subaru, have comprehensive body repair procedures right down to what materials to use in repairs. Procedures that are intended to restore the chassis back to an as built condition, and, how to determine if such repairs are possible in the first place.

In this day and age many Dealers, which are independent businesses, rely on independent body shops. All these businesses, Authorized Dealerships or not, unfortunately, are only as professional and technically competent as they want to be.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Automatic
399 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad you're OK. My wife and I were once rear-ended in a Toyota Matrix we loved. We were pushed into the car in front of us for significant damage to both ends. I thought the car should have been totaled but I don't think the shop wanted to lose the work so they low-balled the original estimate by only calculating the rear damage.

The first time they said they were done I inspected the car very carefully before receiving it from the shop and was disgusted with their work. It had panels that didn't fit right and they were painted the wrong color. I told them to return it to me in pre-accident condition just like they said they would when I brought it to them. A week later they said they were done again but one panel was still the wrong color. I told them I was not happy about their work but was taking the car because I was done dealing with them.

Anyway, like Scooby24, we never felt the same about that car and unloaded it not long after, disclosing to the buyer the car's history. He didn't really seem to care because he was buying a cheap beater for his parents. He seemed more concerned that we walk him through driving a manual so that he could get it home.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
236 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad you're OK. My wife and I were once rear-ended in a Toyota Matrix we loved. We were pushed into the car in front of us for significant damage to both ends. I thought the car should have been totaled but I don't think the shop wanted to lose the work so they low-balled the original estimate by only calculating the rear damage.

The first time they said they were done I inspected the car very carefully before receiving it from the shop and was disgusted with their work. It had panels that didn't fit right and they were painted the wrong color. I told them to return it to me in pre-accident condition just like they said they would when I brought it to them. A week later they said they were done again but one panel was still the wrong color. I told them I was not happy about their work but was taking the car because I was done dealing with them.

Anyway, like Scooby24, we never felt the same about that car and unloaded it not long after, disclosing to the buyer the car's history. He didn't really seem to care because he was buying a cheap beater for his parents. He seemed more concerned that we walk him through driving a manual so that he could get it home.
Nice to see your consoling and giving advice after you hail damage.

If these repairs were covered under your insurance, I would take it up with them. Manufactures, like Subaru, have comprehensive body repair procedures right down to what materials to use in repairs. Procedures that are intended to restore the chassis back to an as built condition, and, how to determine if such repairs are possible in the first place.

In this day and age many Dealers, which are independent businesses, rely on independent body shops. All these businesses, Authorized Dealerships or not, unfortunately, are only as professional and technically competent as they want to be.
100% correct talk to the insurance company and tell them the repair work done was not completed to a quality that satisfies you. explain the list, say I never had these problems before the acident and that you will be returned the car to the shop to fix the repair work. unfortunately once you pick a shop your kind of married. you can not bring the car to a separate shop to fix the poor repair work of the first shop. ask the insurance company to please support you and have your case manager or adjuster talk to the shop as well.

• Auto locks don't work
  • Door does not line up
  • Car was filthy
Your married to this poor quality shop. they should have never given it to you. your stuck with them and they are stuck with you until your satisfied. this will be a long ride.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You have the right for your car to look the way it did before the impact.

Also, in my experience, it's usually better to file a claim with your own insurance company - they have a relationship with you, you're their customer. If you put in a claim with the other person's carrier, you don't really have any rights, do you? Sure, you'll have to pay your deductible initially, but your insurance company will go after the other person's insurance company to cover it down the road.

I was rear-ended in my Civic a while ago, and I learned that dealing with someone else's insurance company is not ideal. My company then - the same one I still have today - told me that it would have been a lot better in the long run to just deal with them, even though it wasn't my fault (per witness statements & police reports...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts