Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an eBay message saying I had won something.

It was a real auction, an official eBay listing, and what looked like an official eBay e-mail.

Trouble is, I never bid on the item listed. And the e-mail wasn't addressed to me!

My e-mail address isn't [email protected], and that also isn't my eBay user ID.

If this was some kind of scam, then I'm impressed with the thoroughness. I thought, at first, that I had accidentally bid on something or that my wife had bid on something.

Odd. Happened to anyone else before?

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,888 Posts
Wow! Quick pick eye shadow spun sugar! ***?

It's too weird to be trying to get your money, but it might be an attempt to get you to click on a malware site. Send it with full headers to [email protected]. They will want to see it.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I clicked the "pay now" button, and was taken to an e-bay page telling me that I wasn't signed in as a buyer of this item.

I think they got mixed up somehow.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Hmm was it a legitimate ebay page for sure? Why do I smell a phishing scheme going on?

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Hmm yeah phishers wouldn't really be able to do anything with an ebay account anyway besides place bids or buy an item and have no way to pay for it since paypal requires another login. Guess ebay is messing up today.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,883 Posts
I have a collection of spoof e-mails like that, plus some from PayPal & they can look very legit! :icon_eek: As Bruce said, forward to [email protected] with the full header so they can trace it back to the sender. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,888 Posts
Do all the links look legitimate when you hover on them, Phil?

Wow! Look at the seller's "real name." Osama Abostate!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Every one of them goes to some variation of ebay.com.

The email is even from [email protected], just like all of the other announcement e-mails I get from them.

Looks like it was just a fault in their system.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring (CDN) CVT
121 Posts
As a previous poster said, if you get any suspicious emails like this, "hover" your cursor over the link that it wants you to click before clicking it - it will probably give an address along the lines of "www .ebay. somethingelse .com.uk" or something close but not quite. Most importantly, DON'T CLICK IT!!! it's right bad!!!

I find it interesting that by clicking on the link it said you weren't a buyer... I will warn you though that you might now get a significant increase in spam mails (be EXTRA careful), in popups, and potential viruses and malware on your computer. I would do a very heavy-duty spyware/malware cleaning on your computer and make sure that you have real-time protection going.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,302 Posts
I have a collection of spoof e-mails like that, plus some from PayPal & they can look very legit! :icon_eek: As Bruce said, forward to [email protected] with the full header so they can trace it back to the sender. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal
+1 for this one. I have had several from "Ebay" and "PayPal" as well. Just forward them on to spoof alert on your regular Ebay page. I did click on the link in the first one I received a few years ago which ended up causing me a HUGE amount of grief and having to get new accounts on both Ebay and PayPal.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The paynow link:

Code:
http://payments.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CheckoutProcessor&item=370318825358&transactionid=0&quantity=1&ssPageName=ADME:L:PMR:US:1160
Looks legit to me..

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
What does the header look like?

Someone else could have sent a legit ebay message, but embedded some html in the email that will tell them that your email address is active.

Most phishing emails won't let you go through with anything, they just want you to put your user name and password in. Then they can post fake listings under your name.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts