Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I bought my '06 LL Bean a few years ago, I didn't even bother driving a turbo because...well...I just didn't really care. I got a great deal on the Bean and I felt (and still do now) it had adequate get-up-and-go for my daily needs.

Fast forward to yesterday. My wife is thinking about getting a new SUV to replace her '04 Mazda Tribute. I told her she should at least test drive a new Forester. So we visited the dealer where I bought mine. He recommended driving a normal 4 cyl. before the turbo. She's used to a 6 cylinder in her Tribute so she has it in her mind that she wants a 6.

Anyway, to make a long story short, she drove it and then I drove it. He took us down a fairly deserted industrial park road and at one point a dump truck was in front of us just taking its time, moseying along. The salesman basically said "go for it", so I did. It was an automatic, but holy crap! I was really impressed with the smooth transfer of power. I mean I could have easily passed the truck in my Bean, but I would have heard the engine winding and felt the kick into passing gear. With this turbo, it just delivered so smoothly, and I felt like it had a lot more to give if I needed it. I never even really felt it shift. It just went!

Now I know what all you people are talking about when you start raving about your XTs!

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
and that is only the stock turbo. imagine what a larger aftermarket turbo feels like on there like a lot of members(myself included) have on there

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
7 Posts
I just went from a 07 Mariner (very similar to the Tribute) V6, 4 speed auto to the XT. The XT is faster and has more "pick up" than the Mariner. I think your wife will love it!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
252 Posts
Tis even better with a manual :biggrin:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I must say I'm not surprised by all the comments. You love your turbos, and for good reason. I noticed that the NA 4cyl. seemed to be working harder in the 2010 Forester than it does in my '06, but that may be because it hasn't "learned" our driving style. Mine is very smooth.

As for my wife's search, while the Forester is still in the running, one big negative in her mind is the requirement of premium gas. She feels that any gain in mpg with a 4 vs a 6 will be negated with the extra cost of the gas. We haven't run the numbers yet, and she's still in the early stages of looking. We have the real benefit of not having to make a decision anytime soon. She still loves her Tribute, and she's waiting to "fall in love"with a potential replacement, which hasn't happened yet. She was thoroughly impressed with the XT, though.

P.S. We both commented that we wish it didn't have that honkin' hood scoop. I'd much prefer a real sleeper with a more sedate look.

P.P.S. It's been quite an awakening to see sticker prices of $30k on these things. But that what most of them have been when you start looking at leather (which she wants).

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
7 Posts
We compared cars using fueleconomy dot gov and found that it wasn't that much of a difference between the XT and the not turbo. Based on those figures I actually get better fuel economy from the XT than my 6 cylinder Mariner.

And price wise, we were able to get a XT Limited for just over $27K (would have been more but we said NO to the fancy mirror- no garage!- and all weather floor mats).

I liked the scoop. It gives it character ;)

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
P.S. We both commented that we wish it didn't have that honkin' hood scoop. I'd much prefer a real sleeper with a more sedate look.
Wow, compared to the previous Forester's hood scoop I'm surprised to hear anyone say that. The new one is so smooth and sculpted into the hood more than before. That's also one of my favorite parts of the FXT. Now when people get up next to me at the light they don't even try! Before in my first gen Honda CRV I actually had people in old Grand Am's laughing and leaving me.

P.S. Not that I was or would ever street race because I do not. It's just the idea of it. People always seem to want to be first, and now they know better.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well yeah, I guess the new scoop is more subtle than the previous gen's. I'd prefer no scoop at all but I realize I'm probably in the minority.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT
272 Posts
I am having a real difficult time choosing between the XT Premium and the Outback 3.6R. I really prefer the size and the look of the Forrester. However, the Outback clearly looks better on paper. It has better gas mileage (18 -25 MPG on regular gas vs 19 - 24 on Premium), weighs only 144 pounds more and the MSRP is only $1,500.00 higher. If only the Outback didn't look so much like a station wagon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am having a real difficult time choosing between the XT Premium and the Outback 3.6R. I really prefer the size and the look of the forester. However, the Outback clearly looks better on paper. It has better gas mileage (18 -25 MPG on regular gas vs 19 - 24 on Premium), weighs only 144 pounds more and the MSRP is only $1,500.00 higher. If only the Outback didn't look so much like a station wagon.
I got the same issue. I went in looking at a 2.5 Outback limited but left wanting a forester. 3.6 is really hard to locate but they are around. The 3.6 limited is a bit over the budget but a 3.6 premium falls into it. The 3.6 premium is really hard to find and would need to be a special order...

My opinion the Forester looks better and the space is really close. The outback and forester have about the same size. Outback is a bit wider. I do love the interior of the outback..

Either way i'm waiting for 2011 news. The only 11 models that we know nothing about are forester and tribeca. I really think something big is coming with the Forester..

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
359 Posts
You will forget about all that rubbish about premium gas requirement and less MPG while you are having all the fun with turbo. :bananapartyhat: Drop in a cheap VF39 and VF43 and it will be even faster with only 1~2 mpg drop.

Once you taste it you just can't go back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts