Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok to add to the things I've learned, Double check your measurements before drilling near the A/C condenser!

Yes, you guessed it, I nicked the condenser and dumped my charge. Good thing by EPA laws says its ok if its "accidental". Just wondering what torch and braze rod I will need to patch her. Since I do not have a Vacuum pump any suggestions on who can do that for me? I have a R-134a manifold so I may or may not charge myself. But I do not have a scale to weigh in the new charge when I fix it.

Suggestions please!!!

I love being covered in compressor oil!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would go for a used or new condensor. Check car-part.com for a part near your zip code. You should be able to find a used for <$50. Check ackits.com for a new condensor. Blast air through the condensor; hold outlet, allow pressure to build, and pop-release to clean old oil from used condensor. If you want to flush use only laquer thinner or AC flush which are low enough vapor pressure to completely evaporate when you vacuum system.

Recharging should have following steps. All accessible orings should be replaced.
1) Remove and drain compressor and add 2-3 oz of new oil. Either double end capped PAG or ester oil. check ackits.com for 8 oz bottle of oil. Reinstall.
2) Replace receiver/drier and fill w/ new oil. You should deploy 7oz of oil into system.
3) Pull system vacuum w/ vacuum pump and check that system is tight. It should hold vacuum for 15-30 minutes w/ very little fall in vacuum level.
4) Charge measured charge weight into low side w/ engine running. Cans or use an accurate scale w/ tank to measure charge. AC will engage when pressure closes low pressure cut-off switch and pull remaining charge into system.

good luck

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go for a used or new condensor. Check car-part.com for a part near your zip code. You should be able to find a used for <$50. Check ackits.com for a new condensor. Blast air through the condensor; hold outlet, allow pressure to build, and pop-release to clean old oil from used condensor. If you want to flush use only laquer thinner or AC flush which are low enough vapor pressure to completely evaporate when you vacuum system.

Recharging should have following steps. All accessible orings should be replaced.
1) Remove and drain compressor and add 2-3 oz of new oil. Either double end capped PAG or ester oil. check ackits.com for 8 oz bottle of oil. Reinstall.
2) Replace receiver/drier and fill w/ new oil. You should deploy 7oz of oil into system.
3) Pull system vacuum w/ vacuum pump and check that system is tight. It should hold vacuum for 15-30 minutes w/ very little fall in vacuum level.
4) Charge measured charge weight into low side w/ engine running. Cans or use an accurate scale w/ tank to measure charge. AC will engage when pressure closes low pressure cut-off switch and pull remaining charge into system.

good luck
Thank you for the info. Are you sure I cannot braze seal it like in home R-22 units? Need to find someone with tools as I only have a manifold. Never repairs an automotive a/c before. I have 6 months experience doing HVAC refrigeration and a/c

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heh, every 20 min of some It starts hissing and a mist of oil/refrigerant appears in the air. Then it goes away. I though it all leaked out but I guess not.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
308 Posts
After you braze it, clean the repair and small area surrounding to surgical clean level, the mix up some J-B Weld epoxy (the quick-set should be fine here) and seal the repair with it.

J-B Weld can do some impressive things.

The regular takes 24 hours to cure, but it holds up to heat over 500F. The Quick takes less than 30 minutes and is good to over 200F. I've fixed a couple of radiators with this stuff, along with a cracked transfer case cover on an F-150, a flywheel on a lawnmower and a cracked fuel pump housing (plastic) on another F150.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will a condenser from 1 02 WRX fit my 07 fozz? I got a friend from NES offering me a condenser for cheap. Since I'm doing my T-belt the 27th of march I need to know before then so I get get this done as well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I suspect the answer is no. I've always used car-part.com as a cross reference check. If you look for a used part for your car it shows all donor vehicles. Your's only shows 2007-2008 yrs as donors.

Another way is to ask the dealer, where I've had pretty sorry help when I asked.

You might try removing yours and comparing to your friends. It may be possible to make his work.

good luck

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suspect the answer is no. I've always used car-part.com as a cross reference check. If you look for a used part for your car it shows all donor vehicles. Your's only shows 2007-2008 yrs as donors.

Another way is to ask the dealer, where I've had pretty sorry help when I asked.

You might try removing yours and comparing to your friends. It may be possible to make his work.

good luck
I don't trust dealers. When that stupid recall came out for the ecu reflash and 1 way valve I called them and they said my vehicle was excluded for some odd reason. A week later I got the recall notice in the mail. Plus they were still trying to find a way to charge me when I was going to bring it in for the recall, I even had a free oil change from my horrible Bertara Body shop experience. They were persistent on charging me like 80 dollars to rotate my tires. I told them I do my own serving and use my own tires (not there stupid tires for life program which is a ripoff) and they managed to cancel my appointment (I was ready to bring it in and my appointment was not on the list) that I set up. So long story short I never brought my fozz in for the recall work. The 2nd nearest dealer is just too far away and they suck just as bad. They tried to charge me 20,000 for an 05 Fozz with 75,000 miles on it before I bought my 07.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
Used is generally the least expensive but they can be hard to find since most wrecked cars are hit in the front, and if they aren't, the salvor will want to sell the entire front as a unit.

Aftermarket a/c condensers are generally ok, so long as the fittings are exactly the same in location they work fine. Check with a local radiator specialty shop or your body shop and ask them what suppliers they use. Keystone Automotive is pretty much everywhere and they will usually be half or less than OEM.

I have ZERO faith in any kind of patch job holding up on a condenser. It's been tried many, many times. The only possibility may be a good aluminum welder who can weld it for you.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Used is generally the least expensive but they can be hard to find since most wrecked cars are hit in the front, and if they aren't, the salvor will want to sell the entire front as a unit.

Aftermarket a/c condensers are generally ok, so long as the fittings are exactly the same in location they work fine. Check with a local radiator specialty shop or your body shop and ask them what suppliers they use. Keystone Automotive is pretty much everywhere and they will usually be half or less than OEM.

I have ZERO faith in any kind of patch job holding up on a condenser. It's been tried many, many times. The only possibility may be a good aluminum welder who can weld it for you.
There is a Keystone near my girls house, ill check them out! In the meantime will my defogger still work fine since it lost the ability to dehumidify? I pulled the relay for the compressor right after I damaged the condenser.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
2,039 Posts
There is a Keystone near my girls house, ill check them out! In the meantime will my defogger still work fine since it lost the ability to dehumidify? I pulled the relay for the compressor right after I damaged the condenser.
You can expect the defogger's performance to be somewhat impaired, especially in damp weather.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts