Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just don't have the strength to break it free. tried all the liquid penetrating oils and such. i don't own air tools and don't have access to any at the moment. any suggestions for getting this plug out?

car has 122k and there is a good chance it has never had a transmission fluid drain and refill its entire life. i have some hypoy C and lightweight shockproof ready to go in.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Size matters. Great a big breaker bar + (optionally) extension tube (aka heavy iron pipe). Hammer helps, too, but you need to know how to use it.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Size matters. Great a big breaker bar + (optionally) extension tube (aka heavy iron pipe). Hammer helps, too, but you need to know how to use it.
yea ill pick up a breaker bar next i suppose. ive been using a fairly large/beefy ratchet (1/2 inch drive) but just can't break it free. also i have an 06 which means t70 torx which is a bit more difficult to keep from slipping out than a traditional nut.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
use a 1/2" breaker bar instead of a ratchet. hitting a ratchet can damage it. the breaker bar is solid and will take the force. 2 people? have one hold the head of the breaker bar, and steady the handle, while the other hits it with a deadblow (you can even do this yourself if you can hold it steady). or get a large pipe that fits over the breaker bar for additional mechanical force. i mean even if the bar is long enough that it reaches outside the underneath of the car. that way your buddy can hold it steady under the car, while you get plenty of force to turn it free from outside the car.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
try tightening the bolt just a tad bit.

this might sound crazy for those who have not tried it yet but it works for me 100% of the time..

leverage is your friend and a cheap gas pipe from lowes as a cheater bar. < just make sure your ratchet handle fits in it.

if all else fails, use a jack to push the ratchet incrementally while you hold it in place.. i remember that the bolt is at an angle the last time i was down there for the 60K tune up.

get creative and good luck!

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Personally I'd just pull the pan. You're likely to wreck the plug or the pan cranking on it. Often times transmission pan plugs are impossible to remove without damage.
You say it's likely never had a fluid change before, then definitely pull the pan, you'd enjoy seeing all the trash that has settled out of the fluid.

·
Registered
1998 forester s
24 Posts
one other idea is freeze spray, comes in an aerosol can at most auto parts stores, shrinks the bolt slightly and may work for you, or my good old friend pb blaster would probably help, remember kids work smarter, not harder

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well since i work part time at autozone here is what i did. i bought a great neck electric impact gun. rated for 220 ft/lbs max TQ. also got a can of pb blaster. pb blasted, waited 10 minutes, no go. soaked it again, waited a half hour, and boom it came off using the gun. warm tranny fluid in my hair but it was all worth it lol. drained it out and added fluid. drove around, added, some more, drove around, added some more. in the end i was able to add 3.5 quarts before the dipstick read full so i suppose i was able to drain it all out except about 1/3 quart. also cleaned off the tranny drain plug which had metal shavings on it with a pudding-like consistency.

in the end i used 1 quart redline lightweight shockproof, and 2.5 quarts of castrol hypoy-c 80w90. the shift action is much smoother now, reverse is easier to engage, the gears make less noise, and i can engage 1st from a 5-10mph roll now. definitely a worthy fluid change.

also, i will be returning the impact gun now. its fine in a pinch but i'm going to save up for some real air tools.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
Invest in a 1/2 inch breaker bar. That thing has been the best bang for the buck tool I have. I use the 4ft aluminum jack handle I have when I need more leverage. Bolts that wouldn't budge need finger tip pressure with that setup. That's after snapping two ratchets in pieces...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts