Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Foz has an aftermarket stereo/amp that was installed by the previous owner and right after I bought it I noticed that I could hear my car through my speakers when the stereo on.

I know this is a pretty easy fix that was probably due to a lazy installer - But do you guys know where I should start?

Right now, from my battery, there are a pair of...umm, they look almost like giant fuses...Anyway, there is also a small amp in the back.

My electrical knowledge blows, is really limited to it's application for guitar amps. :) But I know I shouldn't be hearing my car accelerate through my speakers.

:mob:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Make sure the amp is well grounded. Follow ground cable from amp to where it is fastened to car and make sure it is very secure.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've heard of having a tap deck with a tape in and being able to hear your car through your speakers.. I've always heard it was bad sparkplug wires or spark plugs.. but thats doesnt sound like you issue.. since who uses a tap deck anymore?..haha

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
315 Posts
definitely check for loose connections anywhere near your battery, amplifier, or visible ground connections.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Its definitely a grounding issue. Same thing that happens if you're using sound equipment (amps, guitar, mixer etc) that are plugged into different circuits. The ground is different and can have issues. I would make sure you don't have something like the amp or headunit improperly grounded.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
That or in a rarity someone could have installed improper spark plugs. Sounds stupid, but there is certain necessary resistance in a spark plug or noise is introduced to the electrical system. I think that's all stated correctly. Simply said, could be wrong spark plugs.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Ground of the amp. Check the connection. Try to make the cable for the ground no more than 3 feet long (I try to keep it under 1.5 feet). Where the ground is connected to the vehicle, make sure it's a big hunk of steel and not just some metal clip to plastic. IF all of that checks out, you can remove the ground wire and sand down the paint where the connection is on the car.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Ground of the amp. Check the connection. Try to make the cable for the ground no more than 3 feet long (I try to keep it under 1.5 feet). Where the ground is connected to the vehicle, make sure it's a big hunk of steel and not just some metal clip to plastic. IF all of that checks out, you can remove the ground wire and sand down the paint where the connection is on the car.
Awesome, will check the grounding this week!
Yes, make sure it is a good ground and keep the ground cable as short as possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts