Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Prem
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my forester 2 weeks ago. It was a hard decision giving up my mustang and becoming practical.

Today while driving home, it happened so fast im not exactly sure, maybe a blow out but the car veered right hard I ran into an embankment and was thrown upside down, and slid 100 feet on my top across a heavily used road.

2 guys ran over opened my door and said we have to get you out the car is smoking really bad.

I shut the engine off which was still running to my supprise. gave myself a once over "Everything works", Unhooked my belt and fell out lol.. yeah i was upsidedown. the guys pulled me out help me across the road from the smoldering car.

I gave myself another quick eval.. toes work, arms work fingers ok.. I can see etc etc.

paramedics, police, fire. the works showed up a few min later. asked by every police officer there if i was taking anything or distracted or texting or anything. *My phones in the cubby off while driving* can someone please get it and call my girlfriend..

Needless to say they didnt and proceeded to ransack the car looking for who knows what.

I was hauled off to the hospital and checked out for a while.

A trooper came in with my phone and asked one more time if I was on anything or distracted etc etc etc. No officer I honestly do not remember, just a thud and being upside down with sparks flying in my face.

no tickets, no citations.. nothing.

I stood up, and felt fine. Not a single scratch or burn or mark or bruise or pain.

Ill let the pics tell the story of the forester.. My mothers line today was "Andrew, you have something you need to do still.. It wasnt your time"

Shes very religious. maybe shes right.

Final pic is of me 1.5 hours after the crash standing next to the car that Im pretty damn sure saved my life

Andrew

Attachments

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
Holly %$#&!

I'm glad you're okay. I totally remember your post with the picture with the Mustang in it. I remember thinking about when I met my wife and we got a house and got married and all and I had to grow up and be more practical too. Just glad to see you okay after that. Also, I'm glad you didn't get a ticket. Cops always want to blame you for something. Wow.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Very glad to know you are still among the living. Thumbs up on the Fozzie's super-rigid steel frame.

You'd be doing a tremendous service to the folks on the forum if you could figure out what may have caused the swerve. You mentioned blowout. It looked like you were on the Geolanders? Was there construction nearby? Had you checked tire pressure recently? Did you hear any kind of bang? Is that an 09?

Please forgive the questions. Get better and answer when you can? no rush. I only ask to perhaps minimize problems that may befall me or my loved ones in the future. I'm sure others on this forum may be concerned as well. Best wishes to you.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,063 Posts
Wow what a mess, glad you are OK. I always tell people how safe Subaru's can be, it's a shame about the car obviously but another Subaru you can get. Another you not so much. I'm glad you came away unscathed and no one else was involved.

Time to buy that lottery ticket :)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Holy crap, I'm glad you're well and here to tell the story! The Subie did its job, as many others have found out before you (including my husband). Amazing, it looks like the moonroof didn't even crack!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Prem
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very glad to know you are still among the living. Thumbs up on the Fozzie's super-rigid steel frame.

You'd be doing a tremendous service to the folks on the forum if you could figure out what may have caused the swerve. You mentioned blowout. It looked like you were on the Geolanders? Was there construction nearby? Had you checked tire pressure recently? Did you hear any kind of bang? Is that an 09?

Please forgive the questions. Get better and answer when you can? no rush. I only ask to perhaps minimize problems that may befall me or my loved ones in the future. I'm sure others on this forum may be concerned as well. Best wishes to you.

not sure of the tires, whatever would be stock on a 2010 2.5x premium AWP.

Driven the road 1000's of times, and no construction nearby. The car is 2 weeks old, Hadnt checked the pressure. I heard a thump, then wall then upside down .. they grilled me about what happened, and the best i could come up with is "I dont know"

the car had 300 miles on it, still new by all aspects.. And to be honest, id buy 10 more new ones just to walk away like I did today. Im counting my blessings thats for sure.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I would not be too thrilled with a car that went out of control and flipped upside down for no appearent reason. If it was not driver error, then logicly it was caused by the car. Are you sure this was not a Toyota???????

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
not sure of the tires, whatever would be stock on a 2010 2.5x premium AWP.

Driven the road 1000's of times, and no construction nearby. The car is 2 weeks old, Hadnt checked the pressure. I heard a thump, then wall then upside down .. they grilled me about what happened, and the best i could come up with is "I dont know"

the car had 300 miles on it, still new by all aspects.. And to be honest, id buy 10 more new ones just to walk away like I did today. Im counting my blessings thats for sure.
I'm sure it was a harrowing experience. You definitely still have work to do on Earth. Again, many thanks and blessings to you and your fam. :smile:

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
Glad you were able to walk away- no doubt about the Subaru safety cage and air bags (as long as you wear a SEATBELT:icon_idea:-which you did:banana:)

Look at the passenger side front wheel in the photos.

Could be a wheel failure that caused the wreck- I'd have that checked VERY closely.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
I'm studying the photos you took (surprised they look so steady....I'd be shaking life a leaf if that happened to me!).
OK, the right front is heavily damaged to the point that the wheel is collapsed into the wheelwell, and the rim of the wheel is broken off. Question is, did that all happen from an impact with the enbankment or did it happen prior to you loosing control, due to some mechanical failure?
I once hit a road object, driving a Chevy sedan, and blew two left tires instantly at 50-60 mph and was able to roll safely into the medium and stop....so I doubt that one blown tire would do that to you, unless the vehicle's stability control system over-reacted/over-compensated. I'm guessing that a major part failed in the right front suspension.
You owe it to yourself to have this professionally investigated. If the car is to blame such information would be valuable to protect your future insurance premiums plus can possibly be grounds for a claim against Subaru.
I know that you are pleased that the car's integrity and safety systems worked well, and I am too, but the cause can't be disregarded.

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD.
62 Posts
Glad your ok and that luck was on your side! Almost looks like the suspension collapsed if that's not all from hitting a bank.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
If the car is to blame such information would be valuable to protect your future insurance premiums plus can possibly be grounds for a claim against Subaru.
I know that you are pleased that the car's integrity and safety systems worked well, and I am too, but the cause can't be disregarded.
Even more importantly, if it is a problem with other cars this information could prevent other similar accidents.

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
966 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I would not be too thrilled with a car that went out of control and flipped upside down for no appearent reason. If it was not driver error, then logicly it was caused by the car. Are you sure this was not a Toyota???????
Toyota has a stake in Subaru :)

·
Registered
2009 Forester
16 Posts
You're still with us, which is good. Look for a flat spot from wheel lockup on that RF tire tread. With a car this new it could easily be a factory defect: seized wheel bearing, ABS went berserk, control arm disconnected, etc. If it were mine, I would look until I found the cause, no matter how deep I had to dig. I'd expect SOA would want to look it over, also, to make sure the factory hasn't received a batch of defective tires or suspension parts. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
70 Posts
I'm glad you walked away from that!!

I'm going to show my wife, but I'm not sure if she'll feel more or less secure.

Please push an investigation, and keep us updated!

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
I'm studying the photos you took (surprised they look so steady....I'd be shaking life a leaf if that happened to me!).
OK, the right front is heavily damaged to the point that the wheel is collapsed into the wheelwell, and the rim of the wheel is broken off. Question is, did that all happen from an impact with the enbankment or did it happen prior to you loosing control, due to some mechanical failure?
I once hit a road object, driving a Chevy sedan, and blew two left tires instantly at 50-60 mph and was able to roll safely into the medium and stop....so I doubt that one blown tire would do that to you, unless the vehicle's stability control system over-reacted/over-compensated. I'm guessing that a major part failed in the right front suspension.
You owe it to yourself to have this professionally investigated. If the car is to blame such information would be valuable to protect your future insurance premiums plus can possibly be grounds for a claim against Subaru.
Like you said in your first post. It's either driver error or something wrong with the car.

I fully appreciate Andrew's ordeal, the trauma and stress. Of course, the most important thing is that he walked away. The Subie cage did it's job. It's just that if something is wrong with the car...well, let's just say inquiring minds want to know, especially since his Foz was only 2-weeks-old. I'm not trying to be CSI guy.

I really believe it's possible to lose control of a vehicle after a blowout; because it happened to me traveling at 70mph. I've seen a video of professional drivers not being able to control the car after a blowout too. I had a blowout on a 92 Pathfinder, and lets just say I barely lived to tell the tale (multiple rolls). Still, it wasn't a "4-wheel drive" Pathfinder, let alone a 2010 Foz with VDC. I'm not sure how the AWD would react to a blowout at high speeds...so I recuse myself from the argument. However, in my case, in the Pathfinder, after investigating, I definitely knew it was a blowout, and I knew why-- old tires.

In the Foz's case, I'm hard-pressed to say it was the car. Maybe tires? Dunno.

BUT--if there is something wrong with the car, I'd like to know what it was, before it happens to someone else.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
x24362

I had a wreck that appears to be worse than that and I remember ALL OF IT.

Keep on livin'

edit:
This too

BUT--if there is something wrong with the car, I'd like to know what it was, before it happens to someone else.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts