Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XT or X Premium - that is the question.

The X Premium I prefer with the adequate necessities is running at 24,900 sticker. The '10 XT, which I have not test-driven is about 100 miles away with a sticker of 26,500. There are 2 other '10 XTs are about 250 miles away for about 27k but both on the same lot.

Let me preface this by saying I live in Georgia, where there is a market for Subaru but I can't image it being top seller due to our weather varying from hot to red hot 11 months out of the year.

What would you imagine, based on the above prices and my market area, is a typical range of XT invoice price? How much negotiating room would you image I have. Locally, there are 20-25 foresters on lot, 0 xt's but if I decide on the X model, I'll get the best deal here.

So to sum this up:

X Premium - Locally I have the best deal due to Forester volume but what is the invoice range for most premiums based on your experience?

XT - must drive 100-250 miles for the only 3 XTs left in the state with probably less room to negotiate - what would a typical invoice be on the XT based on your buying experience.

**Extra Factor to possibly consider**
1. The original subaru dealer in my town was bought out by the larger auto mall and all of the foresters on the lot were from that dealer. Would that help with my negotiations?

2. Subaru is offering 2.9% Financing in my area on Foresters until August 2 - If the cars don't move by then, what is the likelihood of the dealer extending that promotion?

-thanks in advance

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Get the XT.

This forum is littered with those with turbo remorse. With XT power you do not have to use it but with the base engine there is no getting additional power when you need it.

Try loading the X and taking a drive. Then do the same with the XT.

Decision made. XT

·
Registered
04 Forester 2.5 XT AT
430 Posts
XT alllllll day long! Plus, you will very much get to enjoy that nice drive back home:woohoo:

good luck with your purchase and be sure to add some pictures when you get it home!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,091 Posts
The bottom line is that it's a matter of personal preference. Some feel a need for more power than others.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
The bottom line is that it's a matter of personal preference. Some feel a need for more power than others.
Yes it is but some of us can't help ourselves and are insane with the unlimited power of the XT, lol.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
I'd recommend driving the 100 miles to the nearest XT and driving it before you decide if you want to spend the extra money or not. I drove both and found the XT to be fun as hell, but the simple fact remains that I rarely drive a car to its full potential and in this case, it didn't warrant the extra fuel costs and mpg loss. I also really wanted a manual transmission so that helped me make my decision. If you DO drive a car to its full potential, you don't want to miss out on driving the XT.

besides, road trips are fun.

I bought my Foz at the end of April and also got the 2.9% financing and they extended it to 72 months even though they only advertised 60. I think it will be extended so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think I paid $21,200 OTD but I should add that we don't have sales tax here in Oregon and that was the best deal for a Premium manual that I could get in the color I wanted. I think you'll be in good shape, you just need to decide if the extra power is worth the extra money.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Driving them both before deciding is good advice and for me, it boiled down to the fact that the NA model was missing something and as soon as I drove the XT, it was readily apparent what it was, a turbo charger, lol.

Seriously, for some folks like me, the extra power is very useful because we intend to drive through mountains and like to merge and pass in some places where it is usually by invitation only unless your car has the guts to maneuver quickly enough, and although driving the car to it's limit is certainly more fun with the XT, it is not all about fun and games because the XT has some practical applications as well so do your homework before you decide and don't be one of the "wish you had gotten the turbo folks" that I have seen a couple of around here, good luck.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
XT 06 TO 08
Likely good advice if he doesn't mind less room and although I have never driven one, I certainly find the looks of them more appealing and most of the folks around here seem to like them better than the new ones for one reason or another, however I got the impression he was only shopping new.

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Get the XT.

This forum is littered with those with turbo remorse. With XT power you do not have to use it but with the base engine there is no getting additional power when you need it.

Try loading the X and taking a drive. Then do the same with the XT.

Decision made. XT
That's what I feel when I test drove a X and a XT. I ended up buying the XT. :biggrin: POWERRRRRRRR!!!!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Like I've posted before, you'll be wanting to stab yourself in the neck with a pencil to bring more excitement to your commute in the X. The XT will be making you giggle uncontrollably each and everytime you venture into the boost. Not to mention, once you have the XT.....future POWAR modifications are essentially limitless.

It's well worth it, you get a functional hood scoop out of it, and you can tell people it's a turbo.......and EVERYONE knows a turbocharged Subaru is where it's at. :biggrin:

I don't believe there is ANYONE on this board who regrets buying the XT, but there are many who regret not buying it. Food for thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The MSRP on the '10 XT is around 28K but he is stating his "internet price" is 26.5K. How inclined do you think the dealer would be on a 24k offer. Do you feel that type of price is unreasonable or offensive for an XT about to hit its 1st model birthday and collecting dust? Or do you think the dealer will hold out considering there are only 2 other XTs in my state. If not, what is a ballpark figure for an XT invoice?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
what model of XT is it? what options? In your first post you state that the sticker is $26.5k but on this one, the sticker is around $28k. Have you tried using cars.overstock.com as a reference? May not help everyone, but it helped me come to a number.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I really like my 2004 X and don't regret not getting the XT I also test drove the same day. The XT was fun but honestly I didn't think it felt like more than a small V6. Also, I didn't like the handling of the XT. I thought it "felt" heavier and less agile on corners. I occasionally tow a 2000 lb popup to NC mountains or beach and it does just fine with the 2.5 NA.

I like to drive a car and wind it out. I figured with the XT I might be more likely to get tickets. I didn't compare if insurance was much different on an X versus XT but I don't think it's much if any different according to comments people have made here.

The only thing I wonder is if I had bought the XT, would the turbo and/or headgaskets lasted longer than in the X? XT has better block design and is less likely to have headgasket fail than X.

So test drive and get what you like best!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
34 Posts
Go to edmunds.com, enter your zip code and price it out--they keep records of what cars are selling for by zip and will likely hit it pretty close in your area.

Bottom line of all of the above posters is that you really have to drive the XT before you can make any sort of decision about whether it's worth it to you or not. If you decide it is, a) price it out where it lays, and if it's close to the number Edmunds came up with you're good to go, and/or b) go back to your local dealer, tell them you saw the car you want at X dealer 100 miles away but you'd rather deal with the local guys, and see if they can get it for you. They should if they want your business--my car came from a dealer 90 miles away and I never left my local guy's showroom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So after speaking with someone with the dealership I was told the additional options with the vehicle.

Body Side Molding Kit | Auto-DimmingMirror/Compass | Floor mats all-weather | splash guard kit | Cargo Net | Cargo Tray | rear bumper cover |

Added by Dealer
sport mesh grill | wheel arch molding | aero cross bars | privacy window tint

The one i test drove locally was nearly identical to this with the same specs but not turbo and roughly the same price.

Edmunds states in my area, the MSRP of the XT (located 100 miles away) is around 29K and the Invoice is 26,745 (less than $100 different from dealer quoted price of $26,676. The X Premium I test drove locally was $25,800 (sticker) which was identical minus the turbo.

Either The XT is priced to sell or the X Premium locally is marked up 10-15%.

·
Registered
2009 Forester LL Bean
22 Posts
I had the 2009 XT for 3 days and loved it. The kicker for me taking it back and just getting the 2009 X was the premium gas that was needed, and I wanted the leather interior instead of the light gray.

So I gave up the light gray interior, gave up the color that I wanted, and gave up the Turbo..........

Wish I had the turbo in the premium package, leather, heated everything (I live in Oreong), maybe someday again. Now I just have the LL Bean edition, Black (won't buy black again) 2009 X with almost 50 k miles on it. Love it

First subaru for me.

Best of luck

To answer one of your questions, I would go with the turbo, power when you want it, not when you dream of it.......

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
Yeah, you have got to drive both (X and XT) to settle this in your own mind. We drove both, and my wife would have been satisfied with the X. I set her straight, and she is glad she has the XT.

If there was no XT, I doubt that I would have bought my Forester 10 days after we bought hers. Yeah, it's that good! :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
34 Posts
Edmunds states in my area, the MSRP of the XT (located 100 miles away) is around 29K and the Invoice is 26,745 (less than $100 different from dealer quoted price of $26,676. The X Premium I test drove locally was $25,800 (sticker) which was identical minus the turbo.

Either The XT is priced to sell or the X Premium locally is marked up 10-15%.
Boy, at an almost even-up price this sounds like a no-brainer to me--do the XT. The added cost of premium fuel is pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things, and the turbo makes it a much more interesting and well-balanced car. The options (except the dealer add-ons) are the ones I'd get anyway (and did). Mine came with the mesh grill and the front air dam, which I had the dealer take off before I took delivery, so if you don't like the dealer add-ons see if they'll remove them (the tint you might be stuck with, but in Georgia you probably want it anyway). Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Going to Atlanta this weekend to test drive the XT. I got the strong feeling they are going to try to rip me a new one on my trade in but at least I'll get to drive the XT, feel the power and try to get the car for a reasonable amount.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts