Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5 speed standard shift
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1999 Forester :woohoo: Was driving a 1979 Ford F150 when I bought the forester. Didn't take me long to fall in love with it. Its not perfect but its fun :rock: Only had it about a month now. Since then I've replaced the rear main,brake pads,a clutch kit & the cargo rack was installed. Its pushing 177,000 miles. I noticed a noise whenever I let off the gas. Kind of like a baseball card in the spoke of a bike. Checked the front diff & it was bone dry :puke: I add oil & the noise remains so the rear diff is next to be checked. Hopefully I didn't cook anything. Now here I am looking for some info. Think I already found what I needed. Never thought I'd have a Subaru...especially a forester. Always wanted a rally car & now the box is open. I'd love to shove a WRX drivetrain under it. For now its my daily driver.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
Hope you got it for practically nothing.

Vehicle is 15 years old with bone dry differential. Wonder how long it has been driven that way before you got it.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5 speed standard shift
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! We could smell gear oil last week but couldn't see any leaks. I added a bottle to the rear diff this afternoon. Noise is still there & nothing is leaking. I'm going to drive it around the block,drain it & see what comes out on the morning. Rides & shifts nice with good power. After looking under the back of the car I noticed ice building up over an inch thick on the axle shafts. I've clean snow out of the wheel wells/struts & away from the tires three times since I bought it. Tomorrow will be warmer with a chance of rain so hopefully that will loosen any ice & maybe the noise will stop. So far I'm still well under 3k. Its a clean car inside & out. Just been neglected.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
Thanks guys! We could smell gear oil last week but couldn't see any leaks. I added a bottle to the rear diff this afternoon. Noise is still there & nothing is leaking. I'm going to drive it around the block,drain it & see what comes out on the morning. Rides & shifts nice with good power. After looking under the back of the car I noticed ice building up over an inch thick on the axle shafts. I've clean snow out of the wheel wells/struts & away from the tires three times since I bought it. Tomorrow will be warmer with a chance of rain so hopefully that will loosen any ice & maybe the noise will stop. So far I'm still well under 3k. Its a clean car inside & out. Just been neglected.
Okay that sounds good, if all clears up you got a good deal! Again, good luck with the new ride. Hope all turns out well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts