Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! I just bought my Subaru last weekend, and look at me now!!

This car is gonna change my life. It was so much fun getting my family out and going camping.

My uncle flew out and rented a jeep and he said he was having a hard time keeping up with me on the off roading section. :rock: :banana: :woohoo: I just couldn't really be happier in general.

TRIP REPORT:
so we tried to go camping and initially had planned to do Mill Creek Road, but as we approached it, signs read, "No fires, no this, no nothin'..." and as we continued we came to a road block with a gate that said, "Elk calving, road closed". So we turned around and went to plan B.
Headed from exit 176 to 190 (vail summit rest area) and took the dirt road past about 10 camp sites that were occupied, and I turned down a side trail that seemed a little more like an ATV trail than a dirt road, so I pulled over at the first campsite I saw. It was pretty tricky getting in there with some big ol' roots, dips, and narrow trails surrounded by trees, but did so without a hitch. Set up camp right next to a river, built a fire, and cooked up some salmon and brats, and a good time was had by all. I would, however, recommend not drinking as much as you normally do when you are at 11,800 feet.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried to upload the pics from facebook and photobucket...what's the dillio?
If you're extremely interested you can see some pics of the trip on photobucket if you do a search for "guroo270" under "people".

·
Registered
2007 FXT 5MT
420 Posts

Post it like this.

link should look like this (text wise w/o quotes):
"http://s598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/guroo270/soobs.jpg"

Looks like fun!

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Looks like a great time! Glad you're enjoying the Foz. And ROFLMAO about the drinking!

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
Hey guroo, I couldn't find more pictures in your album, what's up? Btw, did you do Shrine all the way to Red Cliff or just to the pass? We went up there today (I'll have pics later) and the real fun began after about 4-6 miles from I-70 :icon_wink:
We wanted to do the Ptarmigan Pass and from Shrine you have to take Wearyman rd to get there. Right after turning off of Shrine over a wooden bridge, the trail gets very narrow, and soon turns into a creek bottom with a decent creek crossing. We've made it up to the second crossing but had to turn around because of a boulder blocking our path. If I didn't fear body damage (and my wife's wrath) we could have made it past it, but decided against it. We've cleared some big rocks right before that, and had to tackle them again as we've turned around. I'll have pics and video later in a separate thread. We drove about 300 miles today, I'm pooped :rock:

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't take too many pictures because I was really hung over. Also, we got about 3 miles deep when I decided to turn off as we were running out of sunlight to set up camp. Then, in the morning we went back towards I-70 for about a mile (all mileage is a guess) and my uncle said he wanted to get as high as we could, so at about a mile coming back we made a left u turn onto a different trail. I don't think I ever saw any real signs as to what trail we were on. We took that left u turn trail (actually now I do recall seeing a sign that said vail (i think) was 42 miles away) for about an hour, then turned around and came back because my uncle wanted to check out the caves in glenwood springs. I'll be sure to be more diligent about photojournaling my adventures in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts