Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilt title. 82k miles on it. Internet purchase from across the country. I mean getting a mechanical inspection of it. Looks wise it seems amazing but it’s easy for vehicles to look good and be crap. Front end was whacked pretty hard - the used dealer sent me the pictures of the vehicle as they purchased it from auction. I got a Carfax and it didn’t look like airbags went off (would they be replaced before salvage auction? I’d assume no).

I am getting an independent mechanic inspection on it today before purchase, but how bad of an idea is this?

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,618 Posts
VERY big risk...I attempted to do this before...flew to Chicago, got there and upon my own inspection I found a significant amount miscategorized or problems that they assumed I wouldn't notice. Had to book another flight and come home. I don't trust dealers.

I bought mine across country from a private individual, one owner, low mileage and detailed records and pictures with very thorough details. That I trusted and it turned out a great decision for me.

I would advise against it, personally... but these cars are getting very rare, so being picky takes a lot of time and ultimately risk...so do what feels right and roll the dice.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
939 Posts
No. Don’t do it. You will regret it. Especially dubious from a dealer.

Is the car in portland OR? There is a company there that specialized in salvage title subarus and I’ve heard plenty of bad stuff about them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is - care to PM me what you have heard? I would assume it’s less dubious from a dealer than a private sale though.

What will a mechanic and inspection miss that would make the purchase dubious? Just trying to see if it can be resolved or it’s really a dont-touch type situation.

Thank you all for your insights and time replying

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
939 Posts
Most private sellers don’t have nearly the skills or resources required polish a turd to a high-gloss sheen. These guys specialize in fixing up salvage title cars to resell as though they are good as new. Salvage titles exist for a reason: the car has been *wrecked* and declared a total loss. Making a car good as new, with perfectly correct frame geometry and the same crash-safety is not really possible. These guys do a lot of polishing, but its still a car with a salvage title. Some thoughts:

- will you be as safe (in a crash) in your previously wrecked and rebuilt car? Almost certainly not.
- might your car have massive water damage? Possibly.
- will the cars geometry be slightly off, making a proper alignment impossible? Get ready to buy four new tires very frequently due to uneven wear.
- will anyone be willing to pay you **any** money for your salvage title car if/when you decide to sell it? No.
- How much will insurance pay out if you wreck your salvage-title car?

Insofar as their reputation goes: call a few reputable subaru shops in the portland area and see what they have to say about them.

Don’t try to convince yourself that this is an acceptable risk. It isn’t.

I looked at a car of theirs, in your same shoes. If I recall correctly: it wasn’t even much of a deal. I bought an essentially **perfect** forester a month or two later for ever so slightly more than they were asking for the salvage title car.

I’d only consider buying a salvage title if the price was insanely cheap (eg: commensurate with the fact that the car is quite actually junk), and I was planning on doing something unconventional with it and not put a lot of miles on it (track car with roll cage perhaps). Otherwise: hell no!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts