Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the Rally bug for a few years and have finally acted on it by signing up with WCRA and doing the Novice TSD rallies last summer.
We bought our forester for a daily driver and the farthest the envelope pushes towards rally duties are the rallyarmor flaps :icon_frown:

During the novice series I got a little sideways and ended up +1:32 on the stage because of self preservation..
My goal is to find a subaru that I don't need to worry about and can get through stages no matter what. My budget is around $5K+-

I know there are a few other members in the same boat, looking for a subaru workhorse..
here are some that I have considered;

98-01 RS

98-01 TS

98-01 Impreza Outback Sport

92-94 Legacy Turbos,

now lets see what you would suggest;

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'd just get an early year impreza brighton. Get the cheapest one you can find that works really. Do you plan to rallyx it as well? Might want to check out some other early awd cars as well. I wouldn't plan to get one until after the winter when everyone is trying to sell off their winter beaters.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the season for selling off beaters is coming quick, there have been a few around so far including a 2000 TS up my street that I have been eyeing..

Steve I'm scared of getting a JDM, otherwise there have been a few early WRXs around that would do nicely.. I will be getting a 5spd as well, half for the fun and half for the 50/50dist.

the debate I'm having is between a 2.2 or early 2.5(and expect HGs).

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Id go with a 95-01 AWD Impreza with the 2.2L. The 2.2L in them is bulletproof, parts are cheap and common since they didn't change much until 02, and they are REALLY light and easy to toss around. Some of the models are in the 2300-2500 lb range.

If your going to swap motors, get a 93/94 Impreza and replace the 1.8L with something bigger. You can find them cheap, and they are the lightest of them all.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd love a 2.5RS, even a bug-eye would be nice.
but they have a higher price because they look mean..

I would trade the extra hp for weight and durability of the 2.2

Cars101 says;
Coupe: 2720 lbs
Sedan: 2690 lbs
Sport wgn: 2795 lbs

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
1,066 Posts
I've heard that ICBC will jack up the insurance premium on JDM(All rhd) vehicles..

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ or decide that they aren't eligible for insurance coverage..
then you would have a very nice 'off-road' paperweight..

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Anything with the 2.2! Great little motors that will take a beating.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so after very nearly bringing home a 2000 Impreza TS with 220Km for a beater project I've decided to wait a year and look for a 2002-2004 impreza 2.5 wagon next spring. This way my rally project will double as our second car, but still be a bit above beater status..

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
pick up a JDM WRX from one of the importers in your area... I remember seeing one for like 5k fully imported with really low km's a while back.
But I'm not sure you'd want to go bombing around in a fairly rare car like that...

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
2002 2.5TS can be found pretty cheap, its pretty much the same body style of that yr WRX, and i think a lot of things would swap over, just watch out for the head gaskets, my sister has one, and the head gaskets went out at 60,000 miles/ 8yrs

hmmm one thing,the TS im talking about is a USDM model(its the hatch that looks just like the WRX),so im not sure if its the same in canada

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
in our novice class there is already a Sunny GTiR, it came out to the last rally but ended up flatting out..

terra2 has a few JDM WRXs but the RHD and insurance issues are going to come to a head here pretty soon. :icon_frown:
otherwise I would be all over this one

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is lots of debate that's for sure,
thing is once ICBC starts seeing some correlating numbers on the accidents involving RHD (turning left anyone?) they are going to pull the plug on insuring them..:icon_frown:

it's too bad b/c we are just about to the R33s :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
We just had the first official R33 GTR land in Toronto last week... OMG! I used to hate that generation of GTR but they're gorgeous in person!

Yeah, ICBC had been trying every trick in the book to make RHD cars look unsafe... but the only major reason their numbers look like they do is because a lot of the kids driving them are tools, and there aren't as many of them as regular cars to provide an accurate comparison between the two.
Good luck though, I'm starting a track project of my own this spring... I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SVX ?

oh no! look what just showed up locally...
WW(Silke+Roo)D? :biggrin:

1994 Subaru Svx - $1675

3.3L automatic
24 valve
Leather sunroof power options
AWD all the time
new tires on stock mag rims
fun and fast
bought new car to better suit our growing family
Serious buyers send contact info please

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
oh no! look what just showed up locally...
WW(Silke+Roo)D? :biggrin:
For a rally project car I'd advise against it unless you're made of money... stuff will break, and parts are getting to the point where they sometimes are no longer available unless you have access to a parts car - for example a windshield replacement alone will set you back about $1000 just for the glass if you buy from the dealer, and OEM windshields are likely to be discontinued soon. No parts interchangeability with other Subies, and performance replacement parts are rare and cost $$$. Transmission is wonky and develops a lot of heat, even with a cooler. Expect some electrical oddities. Some SVXii eat alternators for no apparent reason. Brakes will need upgrading if you're planning on rally type driving (spirited). It's a bit of a cliche, but it's true what they say about the SVX being cheap to buy and expensive to own.

However, it makes a formidable grand touring and long range highway car, supremely comfortable and quiet.

Oh, and with a 94 and up, never take the buyers word for it being AWD... check the VIN. '94 was the first year the FWD version was offered, and there are a lot of them out there. I've seen ads on CL where owners were either unaware that they had a FWD SVX, or they were trying to pull the wool over an unsuspecting buyer by trying to pawn it off as AWD.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts