29,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure will!

·
Registered
'06 Forester XT
41 Posts
U.S.S. Hornet

Oh man! I'd be there if I wasnt doing Volunteer work @ Anderson Marsh this Saturday! Took My Gramps last Fathers day to the Hornet. He was a rear turret machine gunner in an Avenger torpedo Bomber on the USS Lake Champlain. They have an Avenger right as you walk into the Hornet. He was based at NAS Alameda during the Korean war. Def a step back in time! You should see that 85 year old man slide down the stair rails without even thinkin! Scared the crap outta me the first time he did it. He didnt even know he was doing it!
Heres a pic of Gramps and I in front of the Avenger!

And Another Of his seat during the War!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT Premium 4EAT
229 Posts
Man! Think how much trust you would have to have in the pilot at every landing. Balls of steel. Nice pictures.

David

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Looks like it'll be a cool visit. Checked out the website. Do you think there's any chance of parking a few modded Foresters next to some of the museum pieces?
We have the CANADIAN WARPLANE HERITAGE Museum nearby with one of few remaining Lancaster bombers that fly's fairly regularly. Boy just the one is loud when flying overhead. I couldn't imagine how frightening a squadron would sound during the war.

Looking forward to everybody's pics (get a group shot of some of the SF.org members attending).

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
I would like to go, but I'm tackling the headlamps. Can't stand the chrome anymore.

Looks like it's going to be a nice day today. Should be awesome for a photoshoot.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's what I got yesterday... Subed met his twin (Overbear's Foz).

·
Administrator
29,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately we didn't stick around long enough to scout out some of the other cool locations on the base. A splinter group of i-clubbers from the meet found some nice backdrops:

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,140 Posts
As much as I don't like the STi's as hatchbacks, those 2 were wicked.

·
Administrator
29,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a wide angle shot of the entire line-up (courtesy of iiiezekieliii on i-club):

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT Premium 4EAT
229 Posts
Here's a wide angle shot of the entire line-up (courtesy of iiiezekieliii on i-club):

And look who's center-stage in the wide-angle shot. Nice!

David

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Cool shots. I used to visit that base often for other reasons. Wish it was still active.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts