Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTI LTD SG9 2007 STI 6 speed, HP Techs-MPS SSLR 2.5, Junior Tuned, 573 WHP/ 500 WTQ
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what the maximum HP & torque capabilities are of the stock 5 sp MT in my 06 FXT and what if anyone has done or experience with in mods to this tranny and the diff to make them stronger and or more bullet proof? I would appreciate any solid input form those with either first hand experience or good knowledge of potential cost effective mods.

My FXTi is pretty strong right now making a bit more power than a stock STi with the following mods.
Cobb Access Port v2
Cobb TBE
GMS inlet hose
GMS MAF hose
VF48 with GrimmSpeed PnP & ceramic coating
06 STI TMIC
Samco TMIC hose kit
Forge recirculating billet milled BOV w/ the blue spring and 2 shims
06 STi intake & throttle body with GrimmSpeed PnP and ceramic coating
GrimmSpeed CC TGV deletes
GP Moto equal length header with GrimmSpeed ceramic coating
Deatschwerks 850cc Injectors
Grimmspeed EBCS
Stock air box w/o snorkus w/ cold air feed from RF lower bumper grill feed (I have an STi front bumper)
Protuned

Suspension and brake upgrades are:
Swift Sport FXT springs on stock struts
Cobb 25 mm sway bars w/ Perrin end links front and rear with the rear on the most agro setting
06 Sti front lower control arms w/ Whiteline PU bushings and offset caster bushings set at +2.5 caster
06 STi rear trailing arms, lateral links w/ Whiteline PU bushings
06 STi steering gear and front cross member w/ Whitline PU bushings (bolts right into the Fozzy and is a better rack, mountings and stiffer cross member than the <04 STi racks)
OZ Racing Allegeritta 18x8 wheels and Sumitomo HTRZ III 225/45 ZR18 tires
brakes:
4 piston Wilwood FSL front calipers w/ big 2 piece aluminum hat rotors
2nd set of smaller rotors and brackets to make the Wilwoods work with my stock 16" wheels and snows
4 piston Wilwood DNL rear calipers and rotors to work with both wheels/ tire combos

The reason I am asking is that I plan to eventually build a fully forged bottom end with big valve heads and run a larger turbo. When I do this I will either do the 6 spd/ diff swap and or build a bullet proof 5 speed. I just wanted to poll those of you out there who have experience with the tranny and differential.

Thanks in advance!
Allan

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 cts-v 6 speed smg
764 Posts
I was going to do the 6 speed but I think Im going to do m factory gearset and m factory diffs! I hate shifting a 5spd and a 6spd would be worse!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
The 6-speed with big Forester tires isn't terrible.

Andrewtech has been working with mFactory on a new gearset. It won't be as strong as PPG, but it should hold up well and save some money.

For stock? It all depends on you! It could blow with 240whp, or with 390whp.

Me? I wouldn't do any more than 300whp/300ft-lbs on a stock trans.

·
Registered
2009 cts-v 6 speed smg
764 Posts
im at 350/374 mustang dyno and no issues yet? and I dont want to have to shift again from 0-60 and 1/4 takes one more shift! so im doing 354 and m factory gears and diffs!!!

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTI LTD SG9 2007 STI 6 speed, HP Techs-MPS SSLR 2.5, Junior Tuned, 573 WHP/ 500 WTQ
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im at 350/374 mustang dyno and no issues yet? and I dont want to have to shift again from 0-60 and 1/4 takes one more shift! so im doing 354 and m factory gears and diffs!!!
Thanks boxerfxt and bac5.2. I am not seeing any issues with the tranny now and am making 275 whp and 308 wtq on a very underated Mustang dyno. I know the durabilty of the 5 spd is due somewhat to the 4.44/1 FD gearing. Is the M factory gear set and diff gears super strong? Going to a 3.54/1 FD will put much more strain on the tranny and diffs.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,205 Posts
well i blew the factory r160 @ 405/410. The previous owner of my car blew factory 3rd gear @ 335hp. and i blew up the "indestrcuble" ppg's @ 365hp.

I now run an 06 sti 6sp and haven't had a problem with it yet. still on the stock r160 though so no racing for me yet

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i blew the factory r160 @ 405/410. The previous owner of my car blew factory 3rd gear @ 335hp. and i blew up the "indestrcuble" ppg's @ 365hp.

I now run an 06 sti 6sp and haven't had a problem with it yet. still on the stock r160 though so no racing for me yet
Thanks Vinnyd, most everyone is telling me to do the 6 spd swap with the R180. I will not be racing this car at least not a on a regular basis and it will be a while before I build the bullet proof motor and heads. When I look at the $'s for either the 5 spd mfactory or PPG it seems hard to justify compared to a good used 6 spd swap. Just wanting to gather opinions out there.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
^ I'm in the same boat. I'm pushing my luck a bit more by running a SZ55, but I'm also limiting the torque to some degree as well.

And yes, I find it hard to swallow 4,500 on PPG's and still be on essentially open diff's all the way around but if I go 6 spd pick up tasty diff action too.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,205 Posts
my advice would be pick your tranny first and go from there. if your not racing then the more harsh and not so street friendly ppgs aren't necessary. Now bac5.2 will tell you how great ppgs are and that 6 speeds break too and I am not negating the fact that 6 speeds will break but for daily driving I personally much prefer the 6 speed. and I daily driven both.

my previous set up was a straight cut 1-4 synchro set with an exedy twin disk. I now have the same clutch but the 6 speed version. and I much prefer the 6 speed for a daily driver. But at my power level the only ppgs i would feel comfortable running are a dogbox since I proved that their quote of 450hp is off a few ponies. I am not trying to start yet another ppg debate since there is no winner in this debate since bac5.2 will throw all this technical evidence out there and his experience working for andrewtech(the usa ppg dealer) and all i can give you is my humble opinion

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
my advice would be pick your tranny first and go from there. if your not racing then the more harsh and not so street friendly ppgs aren't necessary. Now bac5.2 will tell you how great ppgs are and that 6 speeds break too and I am not negating the fact that 6 speeds will break but for daily driving I personally much prefer the 6 speed. and I daily driven both.

my previous set up was a straight cut 1-4 synchro set with an exedy twin disk. I now have the same clutch but the 6 speed version. and I much prefer the 6 speed for a daily driver. But at my power level the only ppgs i would feel comfortable running are a dogbox since I proved that their quote of 450hp is off a few ponies. I am not trying to start yet another ppg debate since there is no winner in this debate since bac5.2 will throw all this technical evidence out there and his experience working for andrewtech(the usa ppg dealer) and all i can give you is my humble opinion
Those are some pretty low blows Vinny. I'm disappointed in you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts