Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to place an order for a blue '14 XT in premium trim. I managed to find an XT touring to test drive back to back with a 2.5 premium and I really liked the XT drivetrain better. I don't want to get up in price to the XT Touring and honestly don't want all of the additions that come with that trim level.

I'm kicking around what accessories to add to the XT premium package now and wanted your feedback. I'll generally be using the vehicle to drive myself on a short commute to work and to drive my dog, crated in the cargo area, to various training events. I'll rarely have more than 2 passengers in the car and live in a relatively warm, not snowy region (North Carolina).

• I like the autodimming side mirrors so I'll probably have those added to the order and I think they come in a package with the autodimming rear mirror so that may be on my list
  • I'm thinking that I like weathertech mats better than the OEM all weather mats, so I'll skip those.
  • I plan to add a tow package eventually but may look for something with a 2" receiver... either way, I think I'll skip the OEM offering. I'll use it primarily for hauling a bike rack and had thought about getting one of those combination safes that fits in the receiver to lock a key in when I don't want to carry the keys in my pocket (I wish Subaru offered Ford's keypad for unlocking doors)
  • I've got the body side moulding on my Legacy and it seems to have saved me from some door dings. I think that makes sense to add
  • I'm planning to haul a crated dog in the back so I figured I'd get the rear cargo tray/protector.
  • I didn't see any plastic covers for the backs of the rear seats and I know they are available for the XV. I'm curious if anyone knows if these are available for the Forester?

Anyway, that's my thoughts and I was curious if anyone would recommend against what I'm thinking, if there's better options to consider or significant reason to buy any of these online and install them myself (I know the rear view mirror is easy for example but the side mirrors are probably more of a pain in the *** and I'm too lazy to freeze my butt off in the winter doing them vs paying a bit more for them from the dealer). Any options I should be considering and am not?

Thanks for your opinions

Bryan

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Sounds like you have a pretty good setup figured out.

I really like my auto-dimming side mirrors with the approach lights, so I would definitely agree with your decision to get those.

Regarding the plastic seatback covers, they are not available in the US. They are on Subaru Global as an accessory for the new Forester though. SUBARU | Forester | Accessories | Utility

I do not know why Subaru is not offering them here in the US, along with many of the other options listed there.

Anyhow, here is another thread on this same topic for someone else... you might be able to get some ideas from their thread: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f151/help-w-options-xt-premium-244522/

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say get the rear bumper guard if it is not standard equipment on this model.
Good call, I was thinking this, particularly since I'd have a dog climbing into the back regularly.... would certainly result in claw scratches without some sort of stout protection

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyhow, here is another thread on this same topic for someone else... you might be able to get some ideas from their thread: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f151/help-w-options-xt-premium-244522/
Thanks for the link! There I found out that weathertech makes a rear cargo liner. I'm thinking that I'd prefer it to the OEM but I want to do a bit of comparison between the two to sort out what's best. I also need to figure out what comes in some of the packages, like the popular packages, since I might save by bundling some of this stuff.

·
Premium Member
2014 XT Premium CVT
191 Posts
Besides the tow hitch, my car has pretty much the same options. Those are all very practical choices. I have a luggage compartment cover that I find useful, but it might not be practical for you if you're going to have a crate back there often.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
If you have not checked it out:

2014 Subaru Forester

You can see exactly what the 2014 XT Prem comes with, what packages are available, and maybe even pics of the options/accessories.

I would not pay too much attention to the prices for the options and accessories...my mom just ordered an impreza with the AWP and it lists for ~$510 or so and she paid dealer price of $417.

I am jealous of your XT prem already!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I wouldn't want the cover. It would sit in the garage all the time. If I wanted more privacy back there I'd just tint the back even darker but it's already quite dark.

I did see something you'd posted in another thread about the gauges in your XT Premium and I was curious what the difference was between them and the XT Touring and the 2.5 Premium (both of which I've seen). Could you post a pic of your gauges if you have time sometime? I'm curious what they look like vs the others that I've seen.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Regarding the gauges, the XT Premium has white backlit gauges. The XT Touring has white electrolumiescent gauges.

Very little difference, except the electroluminescent display is probably a little brighter during they day.

Pictures of guages can be seen here: 2014 Subaru Forester, interior photos

An explanation of electrolumiescent lighting can be found here: Electroluminescent display.How Stuff Works | electronics hobby

Highlights of that article:
"Electroluminescence is the Optical and Electrical phenomenon in which a material emits light when current passes through it. The advantage of electroluminescent light is low energy consumption and good lighting display.
Unlike filament lamps or LEDs, in EL Devices, the brightness of the surface appears the same from all angles of view. EL light is not directional and cannot be compared with the light sources measured in lumens. The EL light is homogenous and can be perceived well. The Monochromatic light from these devices has very narrow bandwidth and is visible from great distance. "

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I've been looking though all the data on that page and missed that.... there's so much good info there it just got lost in the mix I guess.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Thanks! I've been looking though all the data on that page and missed that.... there's so much good info there it just got lost in the mix I guess.
It is easy to miss... you have to click on the links at the top of that page to see extra photos. That was the interior section of extra photos.

Here is a link to see installed photos of all the options available on the 2014 Forester.
2014 Subaru Forester Options and Upgrades Page

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Looks like you've thought everything through. The updated mirrors are a bit frou-frou, but I like them. They are good at cutting glare, and the approach LEDs add character.

The only thing I can think of is fog lights to go with the Premium's halogen headlights. They aren't very powerful, but every little bit helps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd thought about fog lights but honestly, they're so easy to install myself later and the cost online would probably be cheaper than them installed at the port, even with VIP pricing, that I can defer that spend a bit and probably save a few bucks in the process.

I know it's a no-no but I have been very happy with 3rd party HID bulbs in my Legacy and considered installing them in the low beams if I'm not happy with the illumination from the stock low beams. I do like the style the fog lights add but I don't know if I'll miss them from an illumination standpoint.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't know if it's still true, but back when I bought my WRX all the options were dealer installed. If that's still the case with the Forester, then I'd order my XT Premium stripped and just add what options I really wanted later and at internet prices.

·
Registered
2002 Sequoia 4 speed auto
176 Posts
Don't know if it's still true, but back when I bought my WRX all the options were dealer installed. If that's still the case with the Forester, then I'd order my XT Premium stripped and just add what options I really wanted later and at internet prices.
I believe you can
a) buy the car with factory installed options (priced below invoice) or
b) you can buy options later at a similar price then install them yourself or pay for installation.

I'll take b).:icon_cool:

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
I believe you can
b) you can buy options later at a similar price then install them yourself or pay for installation.

I agree and took the b option for many of my accessories. The link below will take you to the install instructions for all the 2014 accessories. Most are DIY and you can get 25-30% discounts on price shopping on internet.

Subaru Technical Information System

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe you can

I agree and took the b option for many of my accessories. The link below will take you to the install instructions for all the 2014 accessories. Most are DIY and you can get 25-30% discounts on price shopping on internet.

Subaru Technical Information System
Thanks, all of you. That was actually part of my interest since some things are more of a pain to add yourself compared to others. All weather floormats are about as easy an "install" as it could get. I've installed the OEM remote starter (bought the part online for about $250) and it wasn't much harder than floor mats. For the starter I saved about $200 but I also had to go to the dealer to have them program it and I think I paid about $50 to have that done. In the end it was still about $150 in savings so it was a no brainer for a DIY project. I'm curious which, if any, of the accessories you think you're ahead to have them installed at the port?

So in regards to the Forester, if I want to add the side dimming mirrors and homelink rearview mirror, it looks like the parts online are around $350 plus shipping and, while I knew the rearview was a simple install, I assumed the side mirrors would be a pain in the ***. I just reviewed the install docs (thanks for the link!!) and they look pretty damn easy too. This just leads me to wonder, with the mirror package, will the cost be close enough to $350 to lead me to not care?

And how about the body side molding.... it's just peel and stick, and looks like it comes with a template in the instructions but it's it's about $40 cheaper and that's at MSRP. I'd have to wash my car, and do some work out in the cold, instead of being lazy and just throwing a bit of money at it instead.

I'm not genuinely lazy and have done all of my own maintenance over the years on many vehicles, but I'm at a point now where it suits me to take an hour and let the dealer change my oil instead of doing it myself. It's less hassle and frees me up to do other things in my busy schedule. At the same time, if I could save a bundle of money doing my own oil change, I'd still do it.

Since I'd get VIP pricing (ie 2% below invoice) on accessories, it might narrow those price gaps and I'd have them installed by someone else who is responsible for them being done right.... if I install a mirror and it falls off or stops working, I doubt it would get fixed in the same manner as if I'd ordered it from the dealer and it happened.

·
Registered
2002 Sequoia 4 speed auto
176 Posts
I believe you can

I was being facetious. Most of the time a) would be the best bet unless you manage to buy options later with a better price or quality that makes b) advantageous.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, it's good advice for some of the parts especially if you didn't get them initially and your options are to order online and DIY install or pay the dealer their pricing and labor. I read through every single install guide and there's quite a range of effort, some pretty surprising... you really have to tear a lot of stuff apart to install the cigarette lighter for example but the tweeters are very simple. It definitely helps to know the costs and what's involved in the installs :) Thanks for reminding me that sometimes DIY is the most cost effective

1 - 19 of 19 Posts