Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Karla and I have never been into the flowers/chocolates/yada yada that most people seem to find critical on February 14th. :confused:

So, this year we decided to do some winter camping and a bit of wheeling. Invited a bunch of 4x4 friends, many decided to come along. :woohoo:

Beautiful weekend, besides some nasty wind Saturday night. Temps stayed below 25F the entire time got a few inches of snow Sunday. :biggrin:

It was our first camp trip as a family (Karla, I and the 2 dogs) in the Suburban.
I'm not quite finished with the carpeting, but the insulation is in. While not as warm as our tent, it was tolerable.
Very nice to just turn the truck on in the morning and blast the heat to chase away the 4F chill! :bananapartyhat:

The long wheelbase and extra definitely helped several times, as many of the trails were quite icy.
However, sometimes it didn't help at all! I was the largest rig there, next was the big K5.

Anyways, some choice photos and the few videos we took are below.

This coming Sunday will be a good wheeling trip, so more pics after that. This past weekend was more of a camping trip.

Does this pose make my *** look fat?

You can see some rigs through the trees, helps to show how steep a hill we were climbing. Didn't end up getting to the top, too much ice.

Campsite area. Not all the folks stayed, most just came up to wheel a bit and headed home. Figured the cold didn't help.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The kid's, Kodi (husky mix) and Luke (lab mix)

Can you spot Luke's ear? :lol:

The next day one friend discovered that MREs are disgusting (on the right), thankfully he brought a backup (on the left).
Now, what he did with his left glove is anyone's guess. :lol:

And another friend utterly failed at attempting to be a caveman :lol:

Hung out by a good fire until early afternoon then headed out for some snow bashing.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We hit the end of the trail (seasonal gate closed in winter) so turned around to come back the way we came.

This time, a drift had my name on it. I swear it just sucked me in!

Later evidence of how stuck I was!

Good to have good friends along, especially seeing as I don't have a winch yet. :icon_eek:

After 7-8 good pulls, Karla started the video camera. I was already a bit out of the drift that sucked me in. I made a HUGE HOLE. :discomonkey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Ryj7Wj2p4

Later we came across a Wrangler on the trail that had dug in pretty good too. Glad we came along, it was very obvious that the couple driving the Jeep were not prepared AT ALL. It was shocking really. Didn't even have warm clothes on. Not a shovel or tow strap in sight. :chair: It was a quick pull for my buddy Haku to grab them out. They followed us back out to where the snow wasn't as deep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqtiDbLaVGA

Here's what happens to a coke can left in the beverage holder in the Suburban. ROFLMAO!!

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
Wow that looks like fun, thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem, I know it's not a Foz, but glad you enjoyed anyway!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
I think Luke is a California dog... He looks as miserable as I would in those temps! :lol: Kodi on the other hand.. he's obviously digging the cold!

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
I hate the cold and don't miss it one bit but..........

I miss playing in the snow.:icon_sad:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
A Winch only helps when you have trees and such like you guys do to attach the end to. Even with my hand-winch, the best I can anchor mine to is a Mesquite bush.......and to be honest........I usually just uproot about half a dozen plants before realizing "yeah, winches out where don't work". :biggrin:

Good to see the videos and pics. Hope to see you guys make it down here sometime. You can either bring the Foz or Burb, there are great trails that I've discovered around here.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Luke is a California dog... He looks as miserable as I would in those temps! :lol: Kodi on the other hand.. he's obviously digging the cold!
Haha yeah, he doesn't much like it. What you don't see under the blankets is he's wearing 2 top of the line coats as well. Kodi picked him out, I had very little say in it. :confused: :lol:

A Winch only helps when you have trees and such like you guys do to attach the end to. Even with my hand-winch, the best I can anchor mine to is a Mesquite bush.......and to be honest........I usually just uproot about half a dozen plants before realizing "yeah, winches out where don't work". :biggrin:

Good to see the videos and pics. Hope to see you guys make it down here sometime. You can either bring the Foz or Burb, there are great trails that I've discovered around here.

Plenty of trees here, we often use other vehicles too. If I was down there I'd get a pull-pal. Pull-Pal winch anchor for 4x4, Jeep, ATV, off-road, all-terrain-vehicle, military, D.O.D., Department of Defense

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Plenty of trees here, we often use other vehicles too. If I was down there I'd get a pull-pal. Pull-Pal winch anchor for 4x4, Jeep, ATV, off-road, all-terrain-vehicle, military, D.O.D., Department of Defense
Hmmmm.......I like the idea.....though, that would make me a little more brave, and I'm already pushing the Foz a bit too hard as it is being a daily driver. My shocks are shot (those will be replaced here soon), and when I was stuck with two wheels way up in the air, I couldn't open my rear hatch which worried me a bit that the body flexed that much. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha yep, tons of body flex. I'd have to be careful when opening and closing my hatch as well.

I never got a winch on the foz cause it was so easy to dig out. If I got stuck it was cause a) I chose the wrong line (or even the wrong trail) or b) from snow. Not that much mud here. Couldn't see myself spending that much $$ on a mount + winch when I could shovel it out of snow from end to end in under an hour.

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
Smash81- I love your posts on offroading! I wish I could be out there doing that fun stuff. I had a 93 Montero that could walk over anything and when the waterpump went out I gave it to my dad. Well it's fixed now, and just sitting and posts like yours make me want to go and take it back!!!! I miss it! lol That SUV seriously has a special place in my heart :icon_frown: It's gotten me out of ALOT of icky situations

Awesome photos and video!

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,928 Posts

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
Excellent photos! Sounds like you had a great weekend.

·
Registered
2003 xt forester
71 Posts
I still cant find the forester :confused:

Looks like a good trip though.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like I said and have been saying, no more Subaru offroad for me.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Smash81- I love your posts on offroading! I wish I could be out there doing that fun stuff. I had a 93 Montero that could walk over anything and when the waterpump went out I gave it to my dad. Well it's fixed now, and just sitting and posts like yours make me want to go and take it back!!!! I miss it! lol That SUV seriously has a special place in my heart :icon_frown: It's gotten me out of ALOT of icky situations

Awesome photos and video!
Sounds like you need a ninja friend to get your montero back! :lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts