Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XT Touring AT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got new 2014 XT touring couple weeks ago in Canada, Alberta. It is pretty sweet so far. But, a very knotty problem has been noticed. The new CVT transmission won't up shift gear if it is too cold. So, in the mourning , I have to drive very slowly otherwise the rmp will hit 3000 or even 4000..........horrible......Is there any solution for this situation? Any fellow use block heater for your XT? Is it helpful at all in -20-30c?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
120 Posts
That is a function of the torque converter. this allows trans/motor to come up to temperature faster. Mine does it to especially noticable on cold winter mornings.

·
Registered
2013 XT CVT
148 Posts
i´m using a blockheater and it´s running for about 2h before i take of. It still revs pretty much but not for as long as if i would start it Cold. So far only about -17*C here.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
That is a function of the torque converter. this allows trans/motor to come up to temperature faster. Mine does it to especially noticable on cold winter mornings.
This.

Note it is due to transmission temps, so using a block heater will not help much.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yup trans temps, all cvt's are known for this. Although the block heater will assist the engine take the rpms better.

I watch trans temps all the time and simply idling isn't enough to warm them up, it helps but the real only way to warm a trans up is to drive the bugger, hence the torque converter allowing the rpms to go 2500.

Really there's nothing wrong, and it does get better above freezing. I imagine a synthetic cvt fluid down the road will be experimented on this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts