Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 500 Posts

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
Around 20K miles. My theory is that with Impreza struts the swaybars, endlinks, etc. travel through a shorter arc thereby decreasing the stress on the related pieces.

Imagine entering a steep driveway at an angle with the stock droop which is huge and the stress put on the attachment points with a stiff rear swaybar. Now mine just lifts a wheel due to the reduced droop.

·
Registered
2004 XT
747 Posts
Around 20K miles. My theory is that with Impreza struts the swaybars, endlinks, etc. travel through a more limited arc thereby decreasing the stress on the related pieces.

Imagine entering a steep driveway at an angle with the stock droop which is huge and the stress put on the attachment points with a stiff rear swaybar. Now mine just lifts a wheel due to the reduced droop.
Again, interesting. I guess we'll see if anything happens before I get all this stuff. Upgraded lateral links are a bit more pricey than I had initially expected. I'll probably do some Kartboy end links sooner than later, tho.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
I do have F/R Kartboy endlinks sittin' in the garage just in case. I might just throw them on someday to see how much better my turn in feels.

I bumped my Bilsteins up to #1 (most firm) out of #9 (softest) and what a difference in turn in and overall high speed stability! It's slightly undersprung now and overly firm for everyday use but with the tires at 40 P.S.I.+ (I normally run 38/36 P.S.I. F/R) it's a different car all together.

I doubt you can ever duplicate the increased control of sedan struts no matter how big of swaybars you use or how many bushings you upgrade...

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
I went with the steel double tab STi lateral links with KB endlinks on the STi swaybar. Then I got the Mo-Boost lateral link supports for good measure (also if I want a larger swaybar in the future).
Look here for some pics.
You can usually find the steel double tab ones fairly cheap over at NASIOC. Look in the part-out sections, got mine there for $80 shipped.

·
Registered
2004 XT
747 Posts
OK, stupid post but I need some clarification.

I know from all I have read here (and my own ersonal experience) that pretty much everything that will bolt onto a WRX or an '04 STi will bolt on to my '04 FXT. I know a guy that is selling some Tein Flex CO's that are currently on his '04 WRX wagon. I am considering buying them for the FXT, but just was looking to see if anyone had any experience / input / etc on this.

I also know these aren't the absolute best CO's in the world, but I also know they aren't necessarily the worst.

So besides that debate, anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts

I know from all I have read here (and my own ersonal experience) that pretty much everything that will bolt onto a WRX or an '04 STi will bolt on to my '04 FXT. I know a guy that is selling some Tein Flex CO's that are currently on his '04 WRX wagon. I am considering buying them for the FXT, but just was looking to see if anyone had any experience / input / etc on this.

I also know these aren't the absolute best CO's in the world, but I also know they aren't necessarily the worst.

thoughts on wrx co's on a forester, or thoughts on Teins in particular?

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

I'm just generally not a fan of CO's on a street car. Just an opinion. But they will work and if they serve the function that you want, you know all the information to make the personal decision. If you get them, might I suggest taking the time to do corner weighting along with a good alignment. That way you are truly taking advantage of the CO's potential. Getting CO's without corner weighting defeats the major advantage that CO's have which is optimizing ride height for handling potential. Guys that spend $3000 on fantastic triple adjustable coil overs only to drop them all the way down on the spring perches just make me want to :mob:

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
758 Posts
Thoughts on WRX coilovers: if you do it, get SEDAN coilovers. I have no idea why companies try to sell wagon model coilovers to fit the Forester... probably because they have no clue about the car's design and rush a product to market because they assume that it's a "wagon".

·
Registered
2004 XT
747 Posts
Thoughts on Tein wrx wagon co's on a Forester. And it looks like I've already gotten some input thus far.

For those that aren't familiar, I run '04 STi struts with Eibach Pro's now. I had been considering getting the Tein Flex's, but I'm not sure I really need / want them. I love the height and ride of the setup I have now (altho I may go ahead and throw my stock STi springs on them as I think the Eibachs *may* be a bit too aggressive).

Anyway, I was already kinda leaning more towards not getting these, but just wanted to hear some strong input either way prior to.

Thanks!

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
In general, CO's are a great thing if you want to spend the time to adjust them and are willing to sacrifice ride comfort (not to mention rebuilding them).
For a more street friendly setup that you can still play with, I'd look into some adjustable shocks on Swift WRX wagon springs.
my .02

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I'm not too crazy about the Tein stuff, but that's just me. I don;t think they are nearly the quality of a JIC in the same price range. You also have to watch with wrx/STi coilover sets - you may not be able to get your Forester HIGH enough in terms of ride height (low is easy).

I think coilovers can be fine for the street, but for me it will take some $$ to do it right. I would say JIC's re-valved could be good, but not with the pillowball mounts.

Whiteline Group 4's with their new camber/caster plates (urethane insert) would probably be amazing on the street.

I'd say if you can get the Tein's for a steal, i'd go for it. If not, i'd look into other options.

·
Registered
2004 fxt
617 Posts
ok guys just got a 04 sti rear sway bar. i was reading scooby mods and i noticed the years of which bar is 20mm and which is not. the guy i bought this from said his car was produced in march 04 so it falls into the 19mm section would this still be a good choice to put on? or should i just go ahead and sell it?

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
ok guys just got a 04 sti rear sway bar. i was reading scooby mods and i noticed the years of which bar is 20mm and which is not. the guy i bought this from said his car was produced in march 04 so it falls into the 19mm section would this still be a good choice to put on? or should i just go ahead and sell it?
If it is bigger than your bar...just put it on. What did the bar measure out to? I didn't realize some of the STI's got 19mm rear bars...I thought they were all 20mm. Do you have a link?

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
worn out cams
05 FXT
901 Posts
Going from USDM STI takeoffs to 02-03 KYB AGX (retaining use of STI springs) with washer solution from TIC; do I use the STI top hats or the OEM FXT tophats with AGXs?

·
Registered
04 XT
35 Posts
its there a spring strut combo that will lower 2.0" cause i dont want to go any lower than that but but i want more than a 1" drop

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
its there a spring strut combo that will lower 2.0" cause i dont want to go any lower than that but but i want more than a 1" drop
You want the 2005+ WRX springs and struts. Should get you just what you want. If you can find them, use the WRX wagon springs and the WRX sedan struts.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Another forum member pointed out that RCE is making a wagon spring that is pretty stiff but not too much a drop. You may want to inquire about these.

61 - 80 of 500 Posts