Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester
21 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I have a 2016 Forester, is there a huge difference between the 2015 and 2016 manuals do you think? I have the 2015 Service Manual in a bunch of files/folders and can combine it via script but was wondering if there are any major differences that warrant trying to sign up and download the 2016 manual? Is there not an index page at all anymore that would allow scripting to download everything? It seems that it was going that way, but haven't seen people posting lately regarding the capability. Thanks! Good luck with the refund.
I probably wouldn't bother. I have the 2015 manual for the 2017 and there are so few changes it is just not worth it. Unless you are looking into something really specific that had known changes.

And yeah I did not see your typical index. This is more of a web interface now.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
21 Posts
Okay to help everyone else see the summary below. It is going to be manual labor to get lots of info from the web based version until a work around is found. As a bonus though I am not sure the web based system has a page limit as of now. Search out the diagnostics manual for your vehicle and click download. That will take you to the web interface. Click top. Go into any section you want, click print then chapter. Takes about an hour to get a full manual.

I don't think any 2020 stuff is available. Also I cannot guarantee this is 100% accurate, I went through it quickly. And I just assume 2015 and prior are intact I did not look at those.

Brz:
2019 and prior look full

Crosstrek:
2017 and prior look full
2018 partial switches to web based
2019 web based only

Forester:
2105 and prior look full
2016-2018 partial switches to web based
2019 web based only

Impreza:
2016 and prior look full
2017-2018 partial switches to web based
2019 web based only

Legacy:
2018 and prior look full
2019 web based only

Ascent:
2019 partial switches to web based

Outback:
2018 and prior look full
2019 web based only

WRX and WRX sti:
2019 and prior all years look full

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know if the Canadian site still has the PDFs? I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the service manual for my 2019 Forester.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does anyone know if the Canadian site still has the PDFs? I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the service manual for my 2019 Forester.
I'm still trying to figure out which PDF in the US site is actually the service manual.

All i see is Body repair manual and 2019 New car Information.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,320 Posts
Hi. I'm ready to download the manual for my 2015 Forester from the Subaru StIs website, 3 days.
Q: Does it matter which browser I use? The site is recommending IE. Can I use Chrome instead w/o issue?
I have a Windows 10 laptop.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
126 Posts
Wish me luck, I'm going to buy the 3 day pass on Monday and manually download everything for the 2016 Forester since I'm on windows 10 and don't want to get into dual boots for linux lol

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,341 Posts
These manuals are covered by copyright and we don't allow them to be shared here. We make 'fair use' exception for individual pages that relate to a specific situation.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,341 Posts
Yes, we do that all the time, especially wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
2020 Limited
28 Posts
The methods for downloading the entire manual, legally, don't work any more. I think this is because the pages don't have nice links to PDFs but hide them behind javascript.

The method in this thread no longer works because it only finds one PDF (stis_user_guide.pdf)

Unsure where the 74888 comes from either.
Code:
"http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/74888/pdf/serviceManual/074888_2014_Forester/\
G8190BEV11_"$i".pdf"
Basically I want to confirm SOME method still works. I don't care what OS or how, I can emulate whatever I need to. I don't even mind helping with programming. I've been using python 2.6 at work (yeah, long story) along with bash and would be willing to put some time to help this out. If you think you can give me ANY help, please respond or PM me.

·
Registered
2020 Limited
28 Posts
Bash:
curl -L --cookie cookie.txt "https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/htmlDiagnostics/20_Forester_V6/contents/data/sa08/sa08899g28.html" > sa08899g28.html
While I can see this page in my browser, the downloaded page...
Note: Since your browser does not support JavaScript, you must press the Continue button once to proceed.

·
Registered
2020 Limited
28 Posts
Thanks to some help from betztek, I've figured out a manageable way to download the manual for my 2020.
  1. Click on one of the topics on the top frame.
  2. Click on the topic you want on the left frame. Then keep clicking on sub-topics until the main frame shows that information. This example is General Description, SPECIFICATIONS.
  3. On the top frame, click on the [Print] button and select Chapter.
  4. Wait for a print window to pop up.
  5. ...
  6. Profit!
  7. Repeat for each "Chapter".

·
Registered
2020 Limited
28 Posts
Thanks to some help from betztek, I've figured out a manageable way to download the manual for my 2020.
  1. Click on one of the topics on the top frame.
  2. Click on the topic you want on the left frame. Then keep clicking on sub-topics until the main frame shows that information. This example is General Description, SPECIFICATIONS.
  3. On the top frame, click on the [Print] button and select Chapter.
  4. Wait for a print window to pop up.
  5. ...
  6. Profit!
  7. Repeat for each "Chapter".
After
  • Wait for a print window to pop up.
I hit cancel and saved as HTML complete. When you re-open these pages, it prompts to print them again. It uses printFlg = true and then checks the value of printFlg. I just changed printFlg = true to printFlg = false and no more print pop-up. Is there some extra unneeded code in there, sure. However this works and I'm to lazy to do much more.

Manuals are here: "~/WORK/Car Manuals/Forester SK/"

BSD / macOS:
Bash:
for i in `find ~/WORK/Car\ Manuals/Forester\ SK -name \*.html | sed 's/ /\\ /g'`; do sed 's/printFlg = true/printFlg = false/' $i > /tmp/temp.html; mv /tmp/temp.html $i; done
sed doesn't like --inplace here

Normal Linux:
Bash:
for i in `find ~/WORK/Car\ Manuals/Forester\ SK -name \*.html | sed 's/ /\\ /g'`; do sed -i 's/printFlg = true/printFlg = false/'; done
May not be perfect, I ran it on my Mac.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts