Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
23 Posts
Has anyone tried this for the 2017 Forester XT service manual? Read a few posts up saying they changed from PDF to HTML.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Convenience CVT
27 Posts
Folks - I'm about to pick up my 2017 Forester after work tonight and will be looking for the service manual shortly.

As I'm in Canada, I was wondering if anyone has downloaded the manuals from the Canadian site ? And if they were PDFs or HTML ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,401 Posts
Instructions To Manually Download Files

Last weekend I decided to purchase a $34.95, 3-day pass to the STIS web site and manually download the service manual files for my 2015 Forester – one at a time. As already indicated in this thread, it appears that 2015 is the last year Subaru used pdf files for their service manual documentation, so this does not apply to models newer than 2015. Also already mentioned, Subaru throttles your file download rate to 50-files/hour, so this takes a LONG time.

Goal: I wanted an organized, easy to navigate reference with a clear TOC (Table of Contents).

I decided to put together a brief tutorial of what I did in case the information would be helpful. Read this post in its entirety before starting. Some related information is scattered throughout.

To start, go to the STIS web site at:

https://techinfo.subaru.com/index.html

*Do not start your 3-day subscription at this point. You can do this part without signing in – you just can’t download any files.

Click on the “Online Reference” link near the top of the page. See Picture 1, below:

Picture 1.

You’ll be taken to a search query form. I set up my query as follows and clicked on “Search.” See Picture 2, below:

Picture 2.

This results in a descriptive list of the entire service manual and links to each individual file. I saved this page to my hard drive as TOC.htm. Instant Table of Contents! See Picture 3, below:

Picture 3.

The blue text in Picture 3 indicates links to the respective pdf files.

Note: There are actually two manuals that come up when you do your initial search query:

1. 2015MY Forester Service Manual. (1,170-files) (Item Code: G8200BE)
2. 2015 Forester Body Repair Manual. (64-files) (Item Code: MSA5T1537A)

(The body repair manual appears on the same page, below the service manual. The rest of this note ignores the body repair manual, but the process is the same.)

Using the black text in Picture 3, I created a nested directory structure on my hard drive, which resulted in an outline of the entire service manual. Each sub-directory name also includes the number of files it contains, if any. See Picture 4,below:

Picture 4.

Once I had the directory structure in place, it was time to:

1. Purchase a 3-day subscription. If you hover your mouse cursor over the “Login / My Account” link shown in Picture 1, you get a drop-down with an option to purchase your subscription. After your purchase, login to your account.

2. Start downloading the pdf files and placing them in their appropriate sub-directories. (You’ll likely have to redo your search query, first!) I have my browser (Firefox) set up to download-and-save pdf files instead of viewing them, so clicking on each blue file-link went right to the download dialog box.

Download hint: Before I started the downloads, I printed out the search-result/TOC page (Picture 3) and used this to track the files I had already saved. It was 20+ pages. Each time the web site cut me off, I marked the last file I had downloaded and wrote down the time on the printout. That way I knew where and when to start on my next 50-files.

For the entire service manual, the filename of each file consists of what appears to be a combination of the manual’s item code, version number, and an incrementing sequence number.

For example, the first three files in the service manual are named:

G8200BEV21_1.pdf
G8200BEV21_2.pdf
G8200BEV21_3.pdf

Since I wanted descriptive file names, I appended the words in blue text (see: Picture 3) to each filename as I downloaded it.

For example:

G8200BEV21_1.pdf became G8200BEV21_1_1_foreword.pdf
G8200BEV21_2.pdf became G8200BEV21_2_1_how_to_use_this_manual.pdf

Here’s an example of the final result in Picture 5:

Picture 5.

Caveat: Aside from all the work and time it took, the main caveat to doing it this way is that it results in some really long filenames, esp. when you count the path. When I went to delete my backup files, Windows 7 gave me an error that some of the filenames were too long for the Recycle Bin. However, I encountered no problems with any other file operations.

YMMV, but I found that the most effective way to deal with the throttling was to keep downloading files until I ran into my 50-file limit, at which time I was redirected to a page that told me I had reached my per-hour limit and to wait a few minutes. Since it took me about 10-15-minutes to save the fifty files, when I reached the limit, I waited about 50-minutes and then started all over again.

During the wait time, I went over the files I had just downloaded and corrected the inevitable typos I had made. I also backed up the completed portion of the “project” to two different USB flash drives, just in case.

The manual apparently covers all 2015 Foresters, N/A and Turbo.

The service manual weighs in at about 292-megabytes. The body repair manual is 12.1-megabytes.

When I was done downloading the manuals, I went back to the initial search page and downloaded various “manual corrections” files, TSBs, etc. There’s a bunch of stuff there. The difficult part is finding what’s relevant.

Finally, when I was done, I copied the entire project to another PC and to two standalone, backup hard drives. I also burned two separate backup DVDs.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
146 Posts
@subatron I am just curious why you didn't use the method that I posted? It is all automated and explains how to set up an organized, easy to navigate set of files with a TOC.

Link to downloader program: https://github.com/Idako/Manual_Downloader

Once you download the program and open it up, all the instructions are on the web based html program someone made to automate the download progress.

Again like you mentioned though, I believe this only works up to 2015 vehicles.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
146 Posts
Folks - I'm about to pick up my 2017 Forester after work tonight and will be looking for the service manual shortly.

As I'm in Canada, I was wondering if anyone has downloaded the manuals from the Canadian site ? And if they were PDFs or HTML ?

Thanks

@Finneginsfast has a 2017 Subaru listed in his information, I am unsure if thats the vehicle he downloaded a manual for though. He did download from the canadian based website though. From what I have heard, the manuals are HTML format for >2015.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
@subatron I am just curious why you didn't use the method that I posted? It is all automated and explains how to set up an organized, easy to navigate set of files with a TOC.

Once you download the program and open it up, all the instructions are on the web based html program someone made to automate the download progress.

To be honest, I just sort of glanced at it. :smile2: I'm not overly comfortable running scripts, etc. on my PC that someone else set up. I also knew the end result I wanted and I wasn't sure what I'd get with something else.

Besides, my wife was tied up in some program at her church all weekend and this looked like a fun project to do without interruptions...and it was. But, yeah, it was a lot of manual drudgery.

Mike

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT - EyeSight
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Hey guys, sorry didn't get on my thread for so long.

Actually, you CAN still get 2015+ manuals, the trick is using the Canadian site to do a search first to find the manual ID. I'll update main page once I figure out how to login to forums on my desktop lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT - EyeSight
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
47 Posts

Thanks for putting the download code together. I am getting ready to subscribe and get the manuals for my 2015 XT. Can you confirm that this still works?

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i MT - 6spd manual transmision
10 Posts
2015 S.M. downloaded fine in a single file

After messing around trying to get the various scripts working, I was able to download the full 2015 (353meg) service manual as a PDF simply by selecting the "Service Manual" checkbox, selecting the model and trim package, and clicking 'Search'.

For 2015 Forester, three publications showed in a list: 'Mechanism and Function', 'Body Repair', and 'Service Manual'

Clicking on each of these brought up its PDF, and then I could select to 'download' it. No delays, no limited download (but the server seemed a bit slow).

Granted, it comes in a big file, without a general index/table of contents, but using my system PDF viewer (Preview in MacOS) allows a search function, where I can go to the Table of Contents for each section, then click on and bring up the specific chapter, which works fine with me.

I neglected to download the TSBs, so I'll have to depend on another source for that (dealer? Edmunds? dunno) :frown2:

2016 (which is what I wanted) does not work this way.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
@HCW

Wow! It sounds like things changed for the 2015. I downloaded the 2015 manuals about four months ago and I don't recall a "mechanism and function" section. And there were no big pdf files, just small files for each separate chapter. Interesting, but not interesting enough to pay for another 3-day subscription at this point! The large files could come in really handy for searches, though.

Mike

·
Registered
2006 Forester L. L. Bean Automatic
46 Posts
Can anybody speak to the ALLDATAdiy.com manuals? I'm tempted to sign up for it since after the code they gave it's $26.95 for a year.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
117 Posts
After messing around trying to get the various scripts working, I was able to download the full 2015 (353meg) service manual as a PDF simply by selecting the "Service Manual" checkbox, selecting the model and trim package, and clicking 'Search'.

For 2015 Forester, three publications showed in a list: 'Mechanism and Function', 'Body Repair', and 'Service Manual'

Clicking on each of these brought up its PDF, and then I could select to 'download' it. No delays, no limited download (but the server seemed a bit slow).

Granted, it comes in a big file, without a general index/table of contents, but using my system PDF viewer (Preview in MacOS) allows a search function, where I can go to the Table of Contents for each section, then click on and bring up the specific chapter, which works fine with me.

I neglected to download the TSBs, so I'll have to depend on another source for that (dealer? Edmunds? dunno) :frown2:

2016 (which is what I wanted) does not work this way.
Yes, other than the Body Repair Manual, the "2016MY Forester Service Manual V15" is under "Service Diagnostics" rather than "Service Manual" and although there is a view/download icon, it opens the HTML version rather than downloading a PDF.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,320 Posts
I'm trying to download the complete 2015 Forester service manual, 2.5i CVT FWD AT.

Can someone please help me to do this on a Windows 10 PC. I have access to a new Mac. Or, are the Ebay downloads the same?
Has anyone purchased the manual on Ebay? I don’t think those manuals are complete or up to date.

Either way, I'd like to get the complete manual. I'll pay the $35 on STIS site, but worry that I won't be able to download the entire manual. What is the best script to automate the process?
Also, do you need to have Administrator privileges to download the files with Automator or other scripts? Do I need to use Internet Explorer? Is the 2015 Forester manual still Av As a pdf download? Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Limited CVT
5 Posts
They no longer display the table of contents when you do the initial search, so they seem to have outfoxed the automated approach. Looks like -what- 16 hours of grabbing them manually?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,320 Posts
Can the 2015 Forester service manual be downloaded as a complete.pdf file? Do you still get 3 days even if you log off your computer? Does this website offer any kind of support if there is a problem?

·
Registered
2017 Forester
21 Posts
Edit: Nevermind it is not missing the index links are just broken.

Word of warning. Half of the 2019 forester service manual is missing including all of the wiring. Don't waste your money trying to get it until there is an updated version. Now I get the hassle of trying to get a refund.

And downloading looks to be much more difficult than it once was.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Prem Forester
1 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I have a 2016 Forester, is there a huge difference between the 2015 and 2016 manuals do you think? I have the 2015 Service Manual in a bunch of files/folders and can combine it via script but was wondering if there are any major differences that warrant trying to sign up and download the 2016 manual? Is there not an index page at all anymore that would allow scripting to download everything? It seems that it was going that way, but haven't seen people posting lately regarding the capability. Thanks! Good luck with the refund.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts