Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Subaru Forester. The mechanic is telling me the engine is burned out. The price to replace is equal to what it is worth and I hate it!

I love my Subaru with its moon roof and heated leather seat so now I have to figure out what to do with it because the mechanic wants me to tow it away.

Any suggestion?
1. Donate?--I dont itemizes so there is no financial benefit (will make me feel good)
2. Auto Salvage Yard- I had a friend tell me that he only got $200 and I know the tires are worth that.

Any other options?
I saw the forum about selling for parts...

Halkyra
Helena, AL

·
Registered
129 Posts
Honestly for me when this day comes, I'll swap to a different engine. I just can't give up this Foz for much. Basically a Legacy Spec-B from a couple of years ago or MAYBE (big maybe) a new Legacy GT.

Ya the swap is expensive, but if you love the car that much it might be worth it.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
Sometimes the true value of a vehicle isn't found in the Kelly Blue Book.

Get a second opinion. If the engine just needs to be replaced (or pulled and rebuilt) and everything else is still good, even though the cost of an engine swap/rebuild might be the same as or slightly more than the current market value of the vehicle, it will be a one-time expense. Then you'll have a reliable vehicle that you really like and you won't have monthly car payments.

My $.02.

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Dude- find a used motor (or a donor car- WRX?) and swap it.

If you won't holler and I might buy it from you. If you're in AL you're a day's drive from here. At the least, what color are the leather seats? (Sorry to be a vulture)

If you're not going to keep it, I would either sell it to me real cheap (hehe) or part it out and make some bank.

·
Registered
2010 FXT
28 Posts
Any suggestion?

Halkyra
Helena, AL

I feel for you but my opinion is to not repair it. Unless you do it yourself, you'll probably end up spending more on it than it's worth. When you go to sell it, will "it has a new engine" be an asset or make it harder to sell? I have family in the car sales business, and cars with replacement engines tend to sit on the lot longer because the buyer tends to think about what caused the engine to need replacing. Next thing to think of is: "What's next?" How are the brakes, axles, tranny, cooling system, etc...

Now if you can R&R the engine yourself, then go for it.

Are you in a position to be able to get a new one? Any local dealers do a push, pull, tow type deal?

Good luck

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I say do one of these, in order of what I'd do.

1) Motor swap (2.0L WRX motors are not too expensive)
2) Sell as is to someone looking to do a motor swap
3) part it out.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Get a second opinion. Those numbers are off, unless you are being quoted prices for a new OEM engine from subaru. You should be able to have your engine removed and a replacement engine dropped in for around $500-$800 in labor(truthfully if one has done this before it is about a 3-5hr job). I would also expect one to be able to source a replacement engine in the range of $900-$2,200, leaving you with a repair bill of about $3,000 on the high end. A 2003 in my area sells for $7K - $10K. I fail to see how this is not worth fixing.

SUBARU LEGACY 2.5L SOHC ENGINE EJ25 SOHC ENGINE 00 YEAR : eBay Motors (item 260594309198 end time May-09-10 09:48:08 PDT)

And there are plenty more to choose from.
subaru sohc, eBay Motors items. Great deals on eBay!

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
I've seen used EJ25's go for about $600 with 30-40k on them. Find a buddy who can help you and rent an engine jack. Thats what i'd do.

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
I gotta ask, how on earth did you already blow a 2003 motor?? How many miles are on it? Did you do regular maintenance?

I've seen MANY a subie with 200K+ miles on them that run beautifully.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts