Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my ScanGuage and Blend Mount last week. I need to run the extension cable from the mirror to under the dash. Anyone have a step by step or instructions for getting into the A-pillar? I need to get this done this weekend so I can play with it on my snowboard trip to Snowshoe, WV on Fri.

Any help would be most helpful.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,946 Posts
You can usually just push wires up under the edge of the A-pillar cover. Taking the cover off is a PITA, and putting it back on an even bigger one. You're almost guaranteed to break a clip or two.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
You can usually just push wires up under the edge of the A-pillar cover. Taking the cover off is a PITA, and putting it back on an even bigger one. You're almost guaranteed to break a clip or two.
This, there is just enough room to get the cat5 end through too where the A-pillar meets the dash. It can also be just tucked into the head liner.

There is a scangauge install thread around here somewhere.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f74/scanguageii-post-pics-your-install-29729/

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
A smaller flat-head screwdriver, with a doubled-layer of masking tape, is a favorite tool of mine.

You can also go with two credit-cards, taped back-to-back, with the edge(s) reinforced again with some masking tape. A single credit-card or beveled "magnetic parking garage keycard" will work, too, but, especially the former, will require a bit more care so that you don't either cut into the wire or bend the card out of shape.

If you do the tuck using the above tools, but then find out that you've got a section popping out every once in a while, the use of a little bit of 3M's Automotive Trim/Mo(u)lding tape, popped into the problematic area as you would hide a wad of gum from your grade-school teacher :wink: will work very, very well to keep the problematic run in place.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the info. In my CR-V if you took the A-pillar trim off it had 2 clips that were 1 time shots and would need to be replaced. SO I am am hoping the credit card trick will work for me.

I'll keep you updated. I will try it tomorrow or Monday. I love working 4 10's Tues-Fri. It gives me an extra day each week to do stuff.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
^ +1 about having the right tools for the job. :smile:

Over the years, what I've found is that, for me, it's usually not about getting the wire tucked-in that's the problem, but rather - especially along headliners and the A-pillars - getting the wires to *stay*.

That's where the 3M Automotive Trim/Molding tape "bubble gum trick" comes in handy!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,434 Posts
Hopefully the OP read my post above that links to this post. There's really no need to pull off the A-pillar trim. There's plenty of room to run the wire in the groove behind the rubber seam trim. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
657 Posts
If you leave the car for 5-6 days, the Scangauge will flatten the battery, it has quite a high 'dark current' and since there is no Off switch, it needs to be unplugged.

Don't ask how I know.....

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
^ Can an in-line kill-switch be incorporated, or is there still a draw?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,434 Posts
I have a Scangauge II (SG2) installed in all 3 of my vehicles. Now that I'm retired, a vehicle may sit a week or more without being run. I haven't had a battery drained by having the SG2 always being connected. I checked with SG2 support & they sent me the reply below. :smile:

Bobby,

The SG2 draws 2mA when the vehicle is turned off. The ScanGauge II should not drain your vehicle's battery.

Thank You,

Leah O'Campo
Communications Administrator
Linear Logic, LLC

My MODding Journal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts