Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
02 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow foresters!

My starter is dead (02 MT). Just wondering where it is in the engine compartment and how easy the swap would be? I am mechanically inclined - but not very experienced with car work. I guess that's obvious considering I need to ask where the starter is!!

It's quite expensive for a new or even rebuilt starter (I'm in Toronto), so I would like to take it out and bring it to a local shop that repairs/rebuilds starters and save some cash for the new house and upcoming baby!

Thanks everyone who has time to respond!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
Guessing you have a NA since the US/canada.... did not get turbo models before 03 I think I belive disconnecting your battery and remove the airfilter box on the top of the engine will make it easier. It's on the driver side (left side steering) at the firewall right beside the gearbox/front diff, bolted to the engine. It should have a ground cable and a power cable with 2 connections hooked up on it. Hope that helps.
Good luck.

Edit: From what I can find out, this should be the starter for your car. 23300-AA380 found at Mitsubishi OE# M0T81681, M0T83981
If this site is ok, That's not too bad price I think but then I have to take that price and multiply it by 8 or something for getting a starter from subaru here in Norway :crazy:

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
I was going to change mine since it did not retract at once after start. Taking it out. cleaning it for sand and such. giving it some grease/lube and it worked again. Reason I did not put in a new one was because the non-original starter I ordered did not fit. Wrong one.

If Peaty comes by, He will probely have some pics of how to remove your starter. He always have all the details laying around somewhere :biggrin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts