Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would have posted this in the How to section but its not open for posts so here goes.

How to remove the rear Bumper cover MY 07

During the winter break I had the joy of removing the rear cover.

Here is a step by step process of removing the cover.

1. Jack the car and place it on stands. Remove the 2 rear wheels for ease of location of bolts/screws.
2. Un bolt the mud flap as show with a 8mm and remove the Phillips head screw. Repeat for both sides.

3Remove the hidden 10mm bolt as shown. Repeat for both sides.

3. Remove the popits as pictured from the bottom of the bumper. Repeat for both sides.

4. Remove the taillights with a 10mm and them disconnect them and place them in a safe location. Under the taillights you will find 2 popits per side. Remove them. Repeat for both taillights.

5. Remove the floor access cover and the left side foam piece and locate the 12mm bolts(4). There are 2 per side. Remove them.

6. Remove the under side popits from the bumper cover. There are 3, 1 per side and 1 in the center.

Now the cover is free to come off.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
2 Posts
Hey folks, I'm new here and I've been searching online but can't find where I can purchase a new rear bumper cover. The PO had a corner ripped by a truck hitch and it's duck taped up now. I can find front bumper covers online, but no dice on the rear. Any sources?

Thanks,

TRSpaulding

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
971 Posts
Hey folks, I'm new here and I've been searching online but can't find where I can purchase a new rear bumper cover. The PO had a corner ripped by a truck hitch and it's duck taped up now. I can find front bumper covers online, but no dice on the rear. Any sources?

Thanks,

TRSpaulding
Jackie at annapolis subaru will take care of you. She's a vendor on this forum.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For something large like a bumper cover, I would recommend going to a local dealer to you. the cost of shipping one of these and the potential damage (fine scratches to the surface) stink. Mie was scored for around $175 local and then another 100 to paint.

The painter looked it over for any scratches as the plastic is textured, and if he has to smooth any scratches, it will look unevn.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know if this will work on a 2010 2.5x. I need to take the cover off to install the backup sensors. I also have the arch moldings will this make taking the bumper cover off a nightmare.

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
2 Posts
For something large like a bumper cover, I would recommend going to a local dealer to you. the cost of shipping one of these and the potential damage (fine scratches to the surface) stink. Mie was scored for around $175 local and then another 100 to paint.

The painter looked it over for any scratches as the plastic is textured, and if he has to smooth any scratches, it will look unevn.

Thanks for the info- I'll contact the deal locally then. I was just hoping to find a third party distributor online and save some $. The front was replaced like this and it looks fine (though PO didn't have it painted.)

Do you know if a textured front can be painted to match? The PO did the front with a textured front cover- like those that aren't painted to start with.

Anyhow- thanks for the info. Not sure whether to get a stock rear cover and have it painted or go with textured and leave it black.... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All plastics are slightly textured. Rub your hand against the bumper and fender and you will see what I mean. If a bodyshop were to sand out a scratch in the bumper, it would be smooth in that one spot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts