Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to vinyl wrap my side view mirror assemblies because one has a large scuff. I am looking to remove the mirror portion only (it is surrounded by it's own piece of plastic and is not a stand-alone piece of glass). I see that the sideview mirrors are affixed to the side assemblies by 3 or 4 pivoting joints. If I pry the mirror piece off the assembly, will I be able to pop the joints back in place without the need of replacing them?

·
Administrator
15,410 Posts
The workshop manual doesn't describe the process other than to replace the mirror. If you do this you may be able to see what is going on behind the mirror:

2) Warm the area around the mirror holder with a hair drier until the edges of the mirror holder become soft (about 2 or 3 minutes with a 1,000 W drier.)
3) Use a flat tip screwdriver without sharp edges to lift the mirror out of the mirror holder. (Also disconnect the mirror heater connector from the back of
mirror.)
4) When installing the mirror, warm the area around the mirror holder with a hair drier until the edges of the mirror holder become soft again (about 2 or 3 minutes with a 1,000 W drier.)
5) Remove the backing of the new double-stick tape, and push the mirror in to install it.

NOTE:
Unless the mirror holder is warmed sufficiently, the mirror holder edges may be damaged or the mirror cracked.

Perhaps a "spray on" finish of some sort would be easier ;-)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts