Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forrester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a F-105 part no, ball valve to replace my engine oil drain plug. I think just flipping the lever will make life a lil' easier at oil change time. My question is should I use a Subaru crush washer with the new drain valve? The valve comes with it's own blue colored washer that appears to be made of some sort of fiber material. Should I use the blue fiber washer or the Subaru metal crush washer?

Thanks. :Banane37:

QWIK VALVE: ENGINE OIL DRAIN VALVE MADE BY FUMOTO: THE BEST WAY TO CHANGE THE OIL QUICKLY AND EASILY!

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
3,123 Posts
FWIW, I installed my Fumoto valve with the blue fibrous washer it came with............6 years ago and it's been fine up to the present.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,790 Posts
I think it would be kind of hard to torque such an irregularly shaped object. Tight enough is good enough for something where torque isn't really that critical. Actually the more difficult aspect would be to assure that the valve is pointing in the right direction when 'tight enough' is achieved. Some of us have found it necessary to use more than one crush washer to get that proper orientation.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT MT Cobb Stage 2
860 Posts
I originally used just the blue washer. I added a regular crush washer when I installed a skid plate, because it was touching the plate. The instructions state to tighten 1/4 turn, after it makes contact with the pan.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,700 Posts
I recently purchased a F-105 part no, ball valve to replace my engine oil drain plug. I think just flipping the lever will make life a lil' easier at oil change time. My question is should I use a Subaru crush washer with the new drain valve? The valve comes with it's own blue colored washer that appears to be made of some sort of fiber material. Should I use the blue fiber washer or the Subaru metal crush washer?

Thanks.
I've installed several Fumoto oil drain valves & I just used the blue washer that come with it. You might get some oil seepage that will require a bit more tightening on the next oil change. After that, you should be good to go. The only time I've heard people use the crush washer or washers, is if they want to position the valve handle in a specific position.

I do use a safety clip as recommended for extra assurance that the drain handle doesn't accidentally get opened. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
Blue washer only. 6 years no problems.

I don't see a situation where the lever could actually be opened by accident. It actually takes some thumb pressure to get it out of the indent and then to rotate the amount to get oil to flow. I would compare the valve opening by accident to winning the Lottery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts