Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Im thinking of buying myself a new Subie. The thing is I'm beginning to like the US specifikations on the cars more. Also there seems to be some money to save. What I'm really asking for is:

Is there something adding on to the price, like VAT/TAX?

The guarantees, are they still 3 years with free carservice?

Aprox, how much for shippingcost to scandinavia?

Anything else good to know / please post own experience if you got!

/Best regards

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Any warranty claim will be against Subaru north america, effectively you would have no warranty.

You need to add import duty (typically 10% for new cars, but country specific) and then VAT to the new total, so you'll probably end up adding 25-30% in tax, although you will be able to claim back the circa 6-8% purchase tax in the US on exporting the

Shipping will cost you about £1000 (Euro 1115) with insurance.

When you get it you'll then have to register an unhomologated car, depending on country this can range from impossible (France) to really easy but expensive (Eire) via the UK (quite easy and now cheap) don't know where Sweden falls in that range.

Suggest you'll find it just isn't worth the bother.

Simon

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Erm, not sure what you mean, most EU country's force you to jump through hoops to do so, why have homologation requirements (noise, emissions, crash, projections, recyclable material, heavy metals usage etc etc etc) regs and then allow 'grey' imports to bypass them all?

Simon

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,479 Posts
You will pay crazy tax when importing something from the states to sweden! I did when I imported my Genome anyway (15% on parts, not sure on a car). With the curernt economic climate you can get a good deal from a dealer, have you tried negotiating?
Then you need to check with Vagverket and there are things to be changed on the car to make it legal in Sweden. I spoke to a Subaru garage (I think it was in Eslov) who have been importing Baja's from the states and have been selling them in Sweden. It's not an easy process. Among other things the guy was telling me that you have to change the seat belts, make some modifications to the chassis(!) etc.
EDIT> Here's some more info on the Baja, think it says you pay 25% tax for importing from US!
Subaru Baja Sport 2,5 – provkörning av Teknikens Värld

·
Registered
2007 Forester
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tack, thanks for the info. I'll guess it ain't worth the trouble, but dmn I liked thoose Roofrails, thats US spec only :chair: How stupid is that? Perhaps if I make an extrodinary deal they could make it for me in *** and then ship it... But then it will take 6 months to deliver... :icon_frown:

Well well, I'll figure out something

·
Registered
2007 Forester
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking into buying a Outback, preferably diesel but that seems to be an issue in th states...

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,563 Posts
It is now clear ,your statement on roof rails.

Those fitted to the EDM Outback are similar to the FXT ones.

You could always get your diesel version locally and then import a set of USDM roof rails.............................

·
Registered
2007 Forester
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would be good solution. Hopefully not too cumbersome to mount on the car

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,479 Posts
You will probably need to import roof bars as well as european ones probably won't fit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts