Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
I had a 93 Ford Ranger for my first car. It was RWD (that should be a hint). I was a dumb kid, and tried to be cool and go offroading. Well, RWD, no weight over the axle, and highway-all seasons don't mix.

I got going up a slight incline (that the Foz could easily scale now) and the rear tires started to spin. Instead of reversing into a little nook, and drive out head first, I decided to back all the way out. The right rear tire fell into a rut and I got stuck. I tried backing out, no dice, so I tried rocking, but the back of the truck just inched towards a stream. RWD, open diff, I was stuck. I found a bunch of wood, and stuffed it under the rear tire, and that didn't help. I finally found a long, skinny log. I shoved it in front of the rear tire and started slipped the clutch in 1st a bit. It sucked the log underneath the tire and I stopped. I got out and used a rock to drive the log into the now soft mud. I piled smaller sticks behind the tire and then reversed. The sticks jammed against the log and I got out. As I was driving over the hole, I kicked the big stick over and just kept reversing. I turned around as soon as I could and drove out. As I was leaving, a guy in a big F250 TurboDiesel came by me and asked me what I was doing. Apparently, I wasn't supposed to be back there. Whoops.

I'm a lot more careful now.

I also got stuck in the sand in my dad's XTerra (again, on highway allseasons :(). I forgot to air down. I got stuck, so I quick hopped out and dropped the tire pressure like crazy. I was able to reverse, so I did. I backed up to the wet sand a few hundred feet. I accelerated as quickly as traction permitted in 4-lo, and turned for the beach exit (driving was allowed on the beach of course). Then I drove very very slowly to the nearest gas station to refill the tires. Now it's got Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's, incase I get the urge to beach it again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another way of getting it stuck really quick is to make sure you go over a shifted incline so just one front wheel have contact and one rear wheel has contact. I have gotten stuck many times since the lsd in the rear axle is not much of a lsd.
Another way is to make sure you have too much air in the tyres. I got stuck yesterday, got out of the card, emptied a lot of air in the tyres and managed to get up the hill again.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts