·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Step by Step instructions

1. Make sure you have too much confidence
2. Think that "just because it was dry over there, it will be dry here"
3. Don't drive very fast because this will severly decrease your chances of getting stuck

Optional enhancements

1. Having an appointment you have to be at in less than an hour
2. No cell phone reception
3. At least a mile hike to the nearest building
4. A friend who likes to laugh

That said, you should be set!

For the pics:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
So driving home after that incident, was it like sitting on a washing mashine during the spin cycle? :lol:

We got Subed stuck in a muddy field one time while working a checkpoint at the SCCA National Road Rally Challenge. Had to be parked far enough off the road so the rallyers could hit the checkpoint hose just right, and unfortunately the shoulder was enough of a slippery slope that my poor baby slid right down into the deep, sticky mud and could not be recovered under his own power. AAA to the rescue... :wink: After that we had to find a carwash ASAP because the wheels were so packed with gunk that they were totally off balance.

Also, we've been stuck high-centered on a beach twice. :oops:

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pleiad7 said:
So driving home after that incident, was it like sitting on a washing mashine during the spin cycle? :lol:
Yep, found out that the steel wheels have a large "grove" probally an inch wide that held alot of dirt/mud in various places. That steering wheel moving back about an inch in each direction when I took my hands off the wheel was nothing less than terrifiying, but a large sigh of relief when I found out it was just some caked on mud. :eek:

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Carry shovels and possibly something to put under the tyres (a couple of bits of wood)
Have a snatch strap and shackles.
Go with another car.
Lower tyre pressure - well I think that would help a bit with this soft mud thats deeper than the tyre height!

Never play around offroad if you are in a hurry or in a spot you cant afford to get stuck!

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rx said:
looks like you had fun :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
For the first two hours everything was going great, going through probally more than I should have with my experience, however always making it through. I've gone out probally a handful of times since this, and I carry two snap straps, a cumalong, and always plan on getting stuck, it just happens, but it's alot nicer when you get stuck NOT in the middle of a field.. that has no trees.. :)

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
dicknose said:
Carry shovels and possibly something to put under the tyres (a couple of bits of wood)
Go with another car.
Lower tyre pressure - well I think that would help a bit with this soft mud thats deeper than the tyre height!

Never play around offroad if you are in a hurry or in a spot you cant afford to get stuck!
Stockton beach .... :twisted:

I'm going to pay for that coment methinks ;)

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My father is the king of getting things stuck

this was just another day of "whoops"

whoops

Btw, we got this tractor out with a cumalong, man was I tired.. woa :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortuntely I don't have a picture of it, but my all time favorite "things getting stuck" scenario happened on a friend's organic farm... One of the interns was notoriously bad with mechanical things (once drove the tractor into a barn door). Of course she manages to bog one of the tractors down in the mud. The farm manager (who is a heck of a tractor driver/mechanic) shows up on the bigger tractor to pull her out, full of confidence, and he promptly gets the second tractor stuck nose to nose with the first! Andy (the farm manager) ended work early that day, saying "we've got more to do, but we're fresh out of tractors" He had to go to a neighboring farm the next morning and borrow the REALLY BIG TRACTOR (by VT standards-midwesterners would still call it a little one), to extract first the tractor he got stuck, then the one the intern got stuck.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
If you don't get stuck every once in a while, you simply aren't playing hard enough.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
419 Posts
You really gummed your tires up :lol: May as well been riding on slicks.

Another thing to add to your list: Don't get liquored up and go mudding like I did many years ago when I thought I could drive through a swamp. We were 20 miles away from the nearest town too, but the long walk really sobered me up :icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
Ow I feel your pain. I just got my truck stuck the other day and had quite a time getting it out. After about 7 hours all was back to normal again.

·
30 Meters
2006 XTi - VF39 Protune!
5,892 Posts
This may sound stupid, but my disclaimer is that I was 18!

I got my Impreza L stuck, and I was by myself. It was a 4EAT so I put it in Reverse I got out and while it was still in gear I got out and pushed it and kept putting weight on the front end and in less than 20 seconds I jumped back in the car and drove away.

Looking back it looks almost like a Darwin award, but I knew my car pretty good and it doesn't accelerate real fast at all in Reverse!

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
313 Posts
+1

This may sound stupid, but my disclaimer is that I was 18!

I got my Impreza L stuck, and I was by myself. It was a 4EAT so I put it in Reverse I got out and while it was still in gear I got out and pushed it and kept putting weight on the front end and in less than 20 seconds I jumped back in the car and drove away.

Looking back it looks almost like a Darwin award, but I knew my car pretty good and it doesn't accelerate real fast at all in Reverse!
I did that as well (at the same age) only with Morris Minis (type 1) getting stuck in snow. the original Mini weighs only about 500kg (app. 1100lb), so you can (almost) lift it out yourself.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Heh college is for doing dumb things.

We ended up having to winch it out, even my friends lifted rubicon on 33'' MTR's couldn't tow it out. (the rubicon had gotten stuck there at one point as well) It certainly was an adventure though. My friend actually got the wheels so dug in that the frame of the outback was resting on the ground.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester X? Auto, 76k miles
2,157 Posts
Go with another car.

You've got it all wrong! This thread is about HOW TO get stuck in the mud! :icon_wink:

I have a long story about a backhoe, a ditch, and my parents house nearly getting crushed but it's too complicated to explain.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XS
105 Posts
Heh college is for doing dumb things.

We ended up having to winch it out, even my friends lifted rubicon on 33'' MTR's couldn't tow it out. (the rubicon had gotten stuck there at one point as well) It certainly was an adventure though. My friend actually got the wheels so dug in that the frame of the outback was resting on the ground.
That's a lot of quarters at the power wash.

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
1. Participate in an ice race on a lake with 2'+ snow banks
2. Get going 75mph on the front straight
3. Be overconfident that you can defy the laws of physics
4. Forget "Slow in, Fast out. Fast in, Crash out"
5. Hit the turn at ~50mph
6. Take over 30 minutes to get pulled out, and snap the tow strap

·
I am the KING
looking for SF5
870 Posts
dan said it best. man it looks like you had fun thou!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts