Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Prem
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I browse this forums pretty regularly and its amazing the prices people get for cars.

I am buying my 2nd forester this month and I think im getting an ok deal but at the same time I look at some of the things people are posting and wondering what kind of dealership can make that deal.

For example on my plate I have a 2010 Forester 2.5X premium Auto w/ AWP + All weather floor mats at 24,505 before taxes.

now sticker from subaru.com shows that at about 24,950 with destination included.

Sticker on the dealership website shows it as 25,400 which im sure could be them buffing it a bit or a dealership fee or something.

Truecar.com shows the invoice price of this car to be 23,700 /w options/delivery etc

I asked them on the last one about this price and said where do these websites come up with the prices and can you even get close cause that would be great. his response was that website doesnt work here or know what I paid for the car, but I can knock 300 bucks off it if makes you feel better about getting a "better deal".

I know people can get really worked up about the price, and at the end of the day id rather be relaxed when buying a car then trying to nickle and dime a dealership as its just not that important to me.

BUT! I would like to ask, how do people get these insane prices of 500 or more below invoice which seems almost unfeasible

I havnt picked up the 2nd car which im slated to do so monday but maybe a little leg work on my behave can save me a few bucks if I come up with a better plan then "Hey can you do this price".. oh no? ok well i still want the car thanks

-Andrew

·
Registered
2010 Forester
18 Posts
I browse this forums pretty regularly and its amazing the prices people get for cars.

I am buying my 2nd forester this month and I think im getting an ok deal but at the same time I look at some of the things people are posting and wondering what kind of dealership can make that deal.

For example on my plate I have a 2010 Forester 2.5X premium Auto w/ AWP + All weather floor mats at 24,505 before taxes.

now sticker from subaru.com shows that at about 24,950 with destination included.

Sticker on the dealership website shows it as 25,400 which im sure could be them buffing it a bit or a dealership fee or something.

Truecar.com shows the invoice price of this car to be 23,700 /w options/delivery etc

I asked them on the last one about this price and said where do these websites come up with the prices and can you even get close cause that would be great. his response was that website doesnt work here or know what I paid for the car, but I can knock 300 bucks off it if makes you feel better about getting a "better deal".

I know people can get really worked up about the price, and at the end of the day id rather be relaxed when buying a car then trying to nickle and dime a dealership as its just not that important to me.

BUT! I would like to ask, how do people get these insane prices of 500 or more below invoice which seems almost unfeasible

I havnt picked up the 2nd car which im slated to do so monday but maybe a little leg work on my behave can save me a few bucks if I come up with a better plan then "Hey can you do this price".. oh no? ok well i still want the car thanks

-Andrew
Not much has changed with car sales persons. It still tends to be horse trading skills that get the best price. However, right now, it is a buyers market. Stroll through a couple dealerships. How customers are in the show room and on the lot. Not many. How many new cars are on the lot? Spring is the selling season for most dealers, so now should be their peak. What has changed is that more information is available to the buyer. However, the dealer is still at an advantage, because they know their true cost and how much they get back from the car company. For a Subaru this is typically less than 3 per cent of the invoice price. This is where many dealers will offer below invoice. Remember, all those prices posted at the dealer are only for public consumption, not their true cost.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
452 Posts
Getting pre-approval from your credit union, or bank goes a long ways to help the dealer not mess with the price. I walked in and paid the "Edmunds TMV" price. It worked out to $300 over invoice. The dealer even pulled up Edmunds and configured it and used that as their price.
The difference is that since I was pre-approved, I basically had a set price they had to meet or not make the sale. Doing it this way I had zero hassles and saved a lot of time.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Prem
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting pre-approval from your credit union, or bank goes a long ways to help the dealer not mess with the price. I walked in and paid the "Edmunds TMV" price. It worked out to $300 over invoice. The dealer even pulled up Edmunds and configured it and used that as their price.
The difference is that since I was pre-approved, I basically had a set price they had to meet or not make the sale. Doing it this way I had zero hassles and saved a lot of time.
Thats good and well when financing would result in the same %

My credit union has 4.9 for new cars, Through subaru im getting 2.9 financing that in itself makes it more worthwhile to go with their price on the fact that they make more money on the sale but id pay less out in interest to my bank.

but thanks for the input, maybe by tomorrow night when I go to finalize ill come up with something.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
11 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Forester XT Limited for 25,995 which is about 1600-1700 below invoice. Basically what I did was email all of the dealers within 50 miles of my house telling them what exactly I was looking for. I also told them that I would be buying within the next week or so and I also told them that I was emailing several other dealers looking for quotes, I told them to get me their quote as soon as possible and when I heard back from the other dealers I would tell them where they fit in. After about two days I had quotes from most of the dealers. I turned around with the lowest quote I had and emailed all of the other dealers seeing if they could beat it. Again after the new quotes came I took the lowest quote and sent it to all of the other dealers to see if they could beat it. This happened a few times and eventually you will get a quote that no one else will match. For me that was $25995. I put a deposit on the car and went to the dealership that weekend. I was in and out in a little over an hour, no fuss, it was super easy. I just graduated and got a job and this was my first time buying a car, and overall I think I did very well. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
47 Posts
tosjduenfs - that's a dandy way to do it. I'll be doing that next time.

My feeling is going into the situation one can never be to prepared.

I took my laptop in with me and when they came back and wanted me to pay too much I said no, look here this is what I think I can get the car for. Isn't that why the dealer has free wifi?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
18 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Forester XT Limited for 25,995 which is about 1600-1700 below invoice. Basically what I did was email all of the dealers within 50 miles of my house telling them what exactly I was looking for. I also told them that I would be buying within the next week or so and I also told them that I was emailing several other dealers looking for quotes, I told them to get me their quote as soon as possible and when I heard back from the other dealers I would tell them where they fit in. After about two days I had quotes from most of the dealers. I turned around with the lowest quote I had and emailed all of the other dealers seeing if they could beat it. Again after the new quotes came I took the lowest quote and sent it to all of the other dealers to see if they could beat it. This happened a few times and eventually you will get a quote that no one else will match. For me that was $25995. I put a deposit on the car and went to the dealership that weekend. I was in and out in a little over an hour, no fuss, it was super easy. I just graduated and got a job and this was my first time buying a car, and overall I think I did very well. Good Luck!
Your approach is interesting and very similiar to one I read at an internet site last summer. I tried the same with 6-7 Jeep dealers (yes, I was once considering a Wrangler, but came to my senses). 5 or 6 or them quoted me sticker prices. This was before cash for clunkers, when no one was buying. I tried emailing them the Edmunds invoice price to get things started, but got the same results. I visited two large Jeep dealers during the week, walked through both show rooms, all around the lots, sat in several jeeps. Never once did I see, much less talk to a single salesman.

I was at two CARMAX locations in the past two weeks looking at '08 4Runners. There seemed to be lots of people talking to sales and I though business must be picking up. No, it seems everyone was there trying to sell their cars to CARMAX.

A friend suggested I could get a 2010 Forester new for less than a used 4Runner and that is where I am now. However, after visiting two Subaru dealers multiple times, I'm the only guy there looking to buy.

You would think in this market dealers would be looking to make a quick sale just to get cash flow, but no, the salesmen still want to horse trade.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Ding, ding, ding! Why anyone would buy a car any other way in the age of the internet is beyond me. It's not a 430 Scuderia! You create a bidding war without ever having to listen to a slimy salesperson's spiel. Plus when you actually buy the car it only takes an hour or so because you don't have to keep waiting for some sales clown to get their supervisors approval.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Prem
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This is the price I hear about. this story right here makes me wonder because I too emailed 7 dealerships before buying my last one a month ago. Not a single dealership came back with any email offers, they all wanted to "talk to me". I asked them to put all offers in email writing and none of them would. I ended up going to the closest one to buy the forester.

I took in the Truecar.com price last time, and they said That website doesnt know what we paid for the car this is what we can do.

I wanted the car so I went for it, but here I am a month later buying again and just thinking I want to pay less this time around.

*sigh*

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Prem
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did some calling this morning, and pretty much said id like to feel better about this deal. call me back with a better number.

5 min later they came back at 24000 for vech + dest. So he said just add tax.

Im happy, I mean the 500 bucks they came down is a gas tank a month for the first year. I hate buying cars I hate the process.

Im picking it up tonight and being done with the game. its just money after all I can always make more of it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X
29 Posts
There are a lot of variable

There are alot of variables that will dictate the price you can get that car for. You can always get a better deal on a manual transmission than you can on an automatic, unless it is a niche car (think WRX or STI). Just an example.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
122 Posts
my two cents..

I used carsdirect.com to get quotes from dealers. Dealers responded with their quotes.

I was working with a salesman, and I plainly asked him to show me the invoice for the Foz's that I was interested in...and he showed them to me.

I also told the salesman that I was a Costco member. Once that was mentioned, they he had to show me Costco pricing.... which was AT invoice. In the end, after a few more haggling, he was able to knock-off another couple hundred for the invoice.

IMO, buyers nowadays can get their cars at invoice, provided that the car is not one of a kind and can be easily sold for more. Don't be afraid to ask for less than what is in the invoice...they will always entertain your offer, especially when you start to walk out.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
38 Posts
My buying experience

We bought our 2010 X Limited in November for 24800. And I did what other people are describing. We requested quotes via email from dealers within 100 miles for what we were looking for, then went with the lowest offer. We bought from a dealer just over an hour away, but were in and out of the dealership in less than an hour. The only way I'll ever buy a car in the future.:icon_biggrin: FYI I think sticker price with options was 27500...

·
Registered
2010 Forester
18 Posts
my two cents..

I used carsdirect.com to get quotes from dealers. Dealers responded with their quotes.

I was working with a salesman, and I plainly asked him to show me the invoice for the Foz's that I was interested in...and he showed them to me.

I also told the salesman that I was a Costco member. Once that was mentioned, they he had to show me Costco pricing.... which was AT invoice. In the end, after a few more haggling, he was able to knock-off another couple hundred for the invoice.

IMO, buyers nowadays can get their cars at invoice, provided that the car is not one of a kind and can be easily sold for more. Don't be afraid to ask for less than what is in the invoice...they will always entertain your offer, especially when you start to walk out.
Invoices don't mean a lot. Give me an orginal invoice and in about 30 minutes I can produce a computer generated copy for any price, nearly as good as the orginal.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
18 Posts
Forester X Pricing

Here's what I've gotton so far, both directly from dealers and via email (I've rounded off to nearest $10):
All are 2.5 X Premium with auto trans
1. X Premium w/AWP, auto-dim mirror, fog lights, 7B package, rear bumper cover for $23,380

2. X Premium w/AWP, aero bars, wheel arch kit, rear bumper cover, splash guards, moonroof for $22,190

3. X Premium w/AWP, auto-dim mirror, sirius radio, rear bumper cover, all weather mats for $23,030

4. X Premium w/AWP, no other options for $22,400

5. X Premium w/AWP, no other options for $23,140

These prices are from 3 different dealers.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
I to used the e-mail approach (Fall of 2008 mind you when the Foresters where in big demand) and got a range of prices including one well over MSRP; as well one dealer refused to participate and one did not respond. Also, one only agreed as long as I promised not to divulge the prices to anyone. I was detailed in what I wanted (and did not want like etching and protection packages) and requested an "on the road" price, so I did not care how they showed any dealer fees. I wanted to make sure I was going to be comparing apples to apples.

Ended up getting the beast out the door for well under MSRP based on the build it section of Subaru.ca, with all the accessories I wanted although I had to go back to get them installed. I have no clue what "invoice" was but I was happy with the price I got. And when you are paying close to $30,000 while quibble over $500?

The process did result in a quick turn around when it came time to do the deal which was good as it was the farthest away dealer that had the best price!

I will do it again with our next vehicle when the time comes as I was happy with the outcome.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
True invoice price is easily found all over the internet. Anyone who pays more in this economy on a Forester has money to burn. But I agree not buying the car you want over $500 bucks doesn't make sense either.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
11 Posts
Originally Posted by K2FR
This is the price I hear about. this story right here makes me wonder because I too emailed 7 dealerships before buying my last one a month ago. Not a single dealership came back with any email offers, they all wanted to "talk to me". I asked them to put all offers in email writing and none of them would. I ended up going to the closest one to buy the forester.

I took in the Truecar.com price last time, and they said That website doesnt know what we paid for the car this is what we can do.

I wanted the car so I went for it, but here I am a month later buying again and just thinking I want to pay less this time around.

*sigh*
In my email, I specifically told them that I do not want anyone to contact me by phone (so I could easily keep track). Keep the email short, and firm. Try to come up with a definite time frame to give them, for instance " I will be buying within the week, please send your quote ASAP." No need for pleasantries (but don't sound like a jerk) you need to sound serious about the car you want. After the bidding pool reduced I started the negotiations on the phone. At that point there were only 3 dealers left, I would call them with my lowest quote and ask if they can beat, if they did then I called the other two and so on. I hope that helps with your next purchase.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anyone think this would work/have experience with a similar process working on non-certified used cars?

For instance, there is a car that looks identical (on the net, 400 miles away, same mileage and options) to one that I test drove yesterday that is 25 miles away from me, but the one on the net has a $3000 lower asking price. I like the color of the local one way better (green), and probably wouldn't consider the other one (blue).

Thanks to the free Carfax report I can see that the green one has been sitting on their lot for 4 months now... I don't know if that is typical for used cars or not.

Sure, they could take it or leave it... and for all I know the $3K cheaper one could have cuts in the seats and bald tires or something like that, but I wonder if there's some way to make this work for used cars, like maybe using the Edmunds price for trade-in instead of invoice? Or something else?

I'd love to have any ideas, since I have to buy another car in the next 1.5 months, and it'll have to be a used one, not new. Every cent definitely counts for me right now, so I'm grateful for any good strategies for the used world.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts