Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XT
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen various write-ups on how to get at the infamous banjo bolt with-screen on other models, like the Legacy. And all the write-ups are for the older model years where the bolt is on the BACK of the cylinder head, screwed in horizontally.

However, in 2007 (Legacy) 2008 (Impreza) and 2009 (Forester), the piping got re-routed and now the banjo bolt sits on the top of the cylinder head. But it's in a heck of a spot to access it. I can see it easily from the top. But it looks like getting access to it will require either removing the turbo, or removing the intake manifold. Neither of which is exactly a 20 minute job.

So how do you 2009+ XT owners get at that location?

I will try and get some pics up. Hopefully this has already been discussed, but I can't see it anywhere. Just a bunch of references to the "old" location.

And it seems that some people think they DON'T have the in-line screen. But the TSB SB-02-03-09 would show otherwise. At least they specifically say that the FXT for 09 and '10 DEFINITELY has an in-line screen.

From my research before recently buying the car, I was concluding that there was no screen to worry about. But as I dig deeper, I've learned that the screen is definitely there, and definitely making me worry.

·
Registered
2010 XT
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll answer my own question with the process I used on my car - for anyone doing research for themselves. I took the intake manifold off, and then the banjo with the screen is just sitting there on the top of the cylinder head. Very easy to get to with the intake off. But taking the intake off was a real pain. Not for the mechanically faint-of-heart.

I can confirm that my 2010 XT did have an integrated screen in the banjo bolt that supplies oil to the turbo. So I'm glad I checked it (I replaced it with a new one, and new copper crush washers). Now I will feel better when I drive the car.

All the Subaru documentation I read indicated that these in-line screens were used up to and including the 2013 model year on the Forester XT. It seems that the new 2014 XT with the 2.0 does NOT have a screen. At least that's what the 2014 factory service manual & schematics say.

In my research, I also read up on how to replace the "turbo inlet hose", which runs under the manifold. If this hose was out of the way, one could check the banjo bolt easily.

Here is one write-up about replacing the factory inlet with an aftermarket inlet by Perrin. Perrin Turbo Inlet Hose - NASIOC

Some of the write-ups talk about how easy or difficult it is to change the factory unit. It turns out it's not that easy. And many people break the factory inlet when trying to remove it, either on purpose or by accident. So it's risky to try to move it out of the way just to access the banjo bolt. At least that was my conclusion. So I elected to pull the whole intake.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts