Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I used to live in the states and used a program through Costco where you could by a new car at $500 over invoice. Is there any way to get a good deal or to at least get the best possible deal when buying in Canada? The dealer I was at over the weekend was trying to say (and maybe it is true) that they are so popular that they don't have to deal but that Subaru's markup isn't too bad anyways so you don't end up getting overly screwed (last words mine not his!)

I am looking at a 2010 forester X non-turbo with the touring pkg. for which he quoted me $31,525 including our GST (I live in alberta so no provincial tax at least).

Thanks much for your help.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
Id email several dealers and see who gives you the best prices. Or you could possibly buy it in the states and pay the import fees to bring it into Canada.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Hi.

I bought in Edmonton over the phone while in Vancouver on business. Oh, as you can see I live in Calgary. They do not seem to discount much because of the popularity of the Forester.

Call around and see what kind of price you can get out of a sales rep before you show up. This might save some time.

Cheers

·
Registered
204 Posts
you could try the car cost canada website. I'm in Montreal and they had no associated dealers in quebec but they might have some in your area. Or at least you might have more luck than I did finding out how much the dealer paid for it.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,889 Posts
I'm moving this to the Canada Forum, leaving a forwarding link back where you originally posted it. It will probably attract better attention here.

Where are you in Alberta? It's a pretty tall province, so buying in the US might (Calgary?) or might not (Fort McMurray?) be a practical possibility. US prices have a reputation of being much lower.

You might find some good info about buying in the US at this dealer's site in Seattle. It's not limited to just buying there but is info of a more general nature about the laws and procedures involved.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT SportShift
1,233 Posts
I have imported both my cars personally. So if you decide to import, let me know. I can give you some pointers.

With the Canadian dollar being so strong nowadays, you might get a great discount importing. A few points you might want to consider are:

- WA dealers may not sell you a new car if they are prohibited to do so by SOA. If that's the case, you can either look for an used car or go down south further.
- Paying 6% duty + 5% GST on top of purchasing price.
- Traveling costs associated with the process

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X LTD
27 Posts
I have imported both my cars personally. So if you decide to import, let me know. I can give you some pointers.
Hi RE3Rotor,
I'm very interested in buying a Forester as well and I was taking into consideration the option to import it from US.

Could you please provide any information related to this subject (here or on pm, as you wish).

My first question would be: it is possible to buy it from US if I do not pay cash for it? (i would like to go with a Finance option).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
357 Posts
I'm very interested in buying a Forester as well and I was taking into consideration the option to import it from US.

Could you please provide any information related to this subject (here or on pm, as you wish).

My first question would be: it is possible to buy it from US if I do not pay cash for it? (i would like to go with a Finance option).

Thanks in advanced!
You need to pay cash to import (or get your financing from a Canadian bank if you want to finance) US dealers will not finance a non-US resident (at least in my experience).

10+ pages of Forester importing information here...

and here and here... and here.

It's a fun process if you are willing to deal with the paper work, and have time to do it.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X LTD
27 Posts
fujisan - I found the big topic after I post my message. I read it, the situation is more clear :)

Now I have to do some research on Subaru Dealers in WA state, closest to border, and check which are willing to help with the export process.

·
Registered
2002 forester s
12 Posts
Hi
I used to live in the states and used a program through Costco where you could by a new car at $500 over invoice. Is there any way to get a good deal or to at least get the best possible deal when buying in Canada? The dealer I was at over the weekend was trying to say (and maybe it is true) that they are so popular that they don't have to deal but that Subaru's markup isn't too bad anyways so you don't end up getting overly screwed (last words mine not his!)

I am looking at a 2010 forester X non-turbo with the touring pkg. for which he quoted me $31,525 including our GST (I live in alberta so no provincial tax at least).

Thanks much for your help.
If you haven't heard of the APA, they will set you up with a dealer in the area (not possible in Alberta), or give you dealer cost quotes on 5 vehicles. I used to deal with them when living in Ontario, as they are popular out there...out west, not so much.

I just emailed them recently as was tempted to spring for a new Impreza, but bought a used Forester instead. Here is the email:

<<
Our New Car Buying Service is centred in Montreal and Toronto which is where our dealers and brokers are located. We use a broker in BC to acquire cars for our members in that province. Some Albertans are fairly mobile and do not mind traveling to the Vancouver area to collect a car. We do not have any dealers in your province that will honour APA pricing.

We can provide you with information on the vehicles that you are considering, and you can (depending on your negotiation skills) use the information to get a better deal on a new car with a dealer in your area. Our pricing reports would tell you what the dealer paid the manufacturer for the car, what mark-up (or profit) we have with our dealer to act as a guide in your negotiations, and we also tell you what incentives are available from the manufacturer for cash purchase, a financed purchase, and for lease deals.

Certainly, you would have more information than the average consumer entering a dealer showroom. If there is more than one dealer for a particular brand in your immediate area, you can attempt to play them off against each other for the best price on the new car and the best offer for your trade-in.

Your one year membership would provide you with up to 5 pricings on different vehicles.
>>

Hope this helps...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts