Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sport
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, bought a new '14 and want to keep it looking good. Read around on here and most people swear by the Meguiars 3-step:
#20 sealant
#7 glaze
#26 wax

I just picked up the #20 and want to start, however it really doesn't tell you in depth about how to apply all the products and reading on here there's some basic steps. I don't want to screw this up. I'm unclear about the time and process between the different products.
Here's my understanding and the steps I would take, Please feel free to steer me in the right direction. Thanks!!

Wash and dry car. Apply #20 to cool car in shade following directions on bottle. Let set for 24hrs? Wash car and dry. Apply #7 glaze as per instructions. let sit for couple of hours. Wash and dry car? Then apply #26 wax.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Probably better to call/ask Maguiar's themselves. Otherwise I just follow the directions on the bottle. But with a 2014, you shouldn't need to be doing any of that. A simple two-bucket wash with high quality soap and a high quality spray wax with new microfiber cloths is all it should need until you hit the year mark, then I would consider going at it with some wax.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
Here's my understanding and the steps I would take, Please feel free to steer me in the right direction. Thanks!!

Wash and dry car. Apply #20 to cool car in shade following directions on bottle. Let set for 24hrs? Wash car and dry. Apply #7 glaze as per instructions. let sit for couple of hours. Wash and dry car? Then apply #26 wax.
I dont use Meguires; however, based on your initial directions, I will suggest you read up on how not to mar (swirl) your paint. It is so easy to do on subarus if you dont take proper precautions and will make any wax/polish product look like junk. Look into the 2-bucket method with grit guards, proper wash mits with low pressure, proper soap, dab dry with waffle weave towels. Then, really make sure you're using proper applicators and towels when you get into using the Meguires.

New cars usually need to be clayed as well, so that's worth thinking about too before applying any products. Furthermore, I'm not sure I agree that new cars dont need wax. I think subaru clear coats need all the help they can get from the start. Friggin bug juice eats through these clear coats like nothing.

Personally, I use Zaino products because I'll only have to touch the paint but once a year and therefore have less risk of swirling while looking just as good.

·
Registered
2020 Sport
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
um.. I've also heard about the Zaino products, what type of products would you suggest (do you use)?

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
Here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f138/first-phase-meguairs-polymer-sealant-20-applied-209074/

And Here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...pleted-meguairs-26-hi-tech-yellow-wax-209666/

I did not use the #7, just the #20 polymer sealant and the #26 wax.

About once a month do the flat parts of the vehicle with the #26 wax (hood and roof) and you should be good to go at least until spring. After that do the process over again.

Some users say the #20 sealant does not last too long, but if you keep a good coat of wax on top of it, in my opinion, it should be okay for awhile.

Also for a quick wax use Meguairs Ultra QuikWax about $10 at Wal Mart. Does a great job, after a wash, just spray on and wipe off.

·
Registered
2020 Sport
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I've been following your posts about using the 3 step. Did you wash before putting on the #26?

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
wash, one coat of ZFX enabled Zaino AIO and then one coat of Zaino-CS. I also clayed some of the hard hit front areas. Took about an hour and a half total. I do this once a year and it lasts the entire year with the car kept outside and driven over 30,000mi/yr. CS is also applied to all the vinyl trim to provide UV protection.

·
Registered
2007 Forrester
33 Posts
I would clay the car after you wash it. Get all the crud out of the paint.
I use Adam's Polishes products. Love 'em!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I would clay the car after you wash it. Get all the crud out of the paint.
I use Adam's Polishes products. Love 'em!
I believe he just took ownership of the vehicle, in my opinion a clay bar cleaning is not necessary.

No, I did not wash after putting on the sealant, but you should wait at least 24 hours before putting the #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. I had a few days of clear weather when I did mine. The next day before I put the #26 I wiped down the vehicle with a dry clean microfiber cloth just to remove any dust that might have accumulated over night.

Before doing anything and before applying the sealant give the vehicle a good washing some people put a little Dawn dishwashing detergent in the bucket along with your regular car wash soap. I am lazy and just brought my vehicle to the car wash I use :icon_biggrin:. Then proceeded to start the process.

I didn't use the #7 Glaze, but here is good information on using the product:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/23740-meguiars-7-mike-phillips.html

I am no expert on Meguairs Products by no means, there are probably better products out there and probably products not as good, but I have been satisfied with Meguiars for years.

Just one thing, when using the #20 Polymer Sealant, let it really dry. It may look dry after a few minutes, but it really isn't. Do one section and then go on to another section or two, then go back and check the first section you did, if it doesn't come off easily, it isn't dry yet.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
I agree, I quite like Maguiar's products. I've never been disappointed with them at all. Tried the high end stuff too (like $50 bottles of high end wax back when I first bought my 04 XT that was absolutely pristine). Couldn't tell the difference on my black paint.

Maguiar's Swirl X actually worked to remove off-road pinstriping from driving THROUGH Mesquite bushes when I lived in NM, and their spray wax worked great between annual weekend-long hand waxes. lol.

I have an 05 XT now that the previous owner neglected for 120,000 miles, I don't wax, or bucket wash......paint doesn't deserve it, haha.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5mt
296 Posts
I've used Zaino before and wasn't impressed. Yes it lasts a long time, but the shine wasn't even as deep as a good carnauba wax. I tried it on one adjacent panel side by side with the Meguiar's HighTech yellow and the yellow produced much better results.

Sorry, but the advice to wait a year to wax is really not good advice. Wax it now.

·
Registered
2020 Sport
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies!!

Finished the final step the #26 wax last night and holy ****, it's like a sheet of glass. Came out of work today and it was incredible.
Used the 20, 7 and 26. Very satisfied.
I will post pictures soon.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Thanks for the replies!!

Finished the final step the #26 wax last night and holy ****, it's like a sheet of glass. Came out of work today and it was incredible.
Used the 20, 7 and 26. Very satisfied.
I will post pictures soon.

Thanks again

Great! I would rewax the flat parts of the vehicle (hood and roof) with the #26 about once a month, doesn't take that long and will give lasting protection to the areas of the vehicle that are most affected.

For the sides of the vehicle I have used Meguiars Ulitmate Quik Wax Spray, wipe on wipe off, and really brings up the shine. It last a few weeks to a month. Real easy to use also after a car wash. In fact what works great too is Turtle Wax Express Shine, used the same way and leaves fantastic results and not expensive.

All those spray on and wipe off quick waxes are basically the same. I do hear that Meguiars NXT Generation Spray Wax is suppose to be a little better than their Ultimate Quick Wax Spray and uses state of the art polymers to give a long lasting shine. All these spray on products are made to be used over an existing good paste or liquid wax job and will keep your vehicle shining longer.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5mt
296 Posts
Depending on where you live, wax should be good for at least 2-3 months so a monthly reapply is overkill. Technically, the old wax should be stripped before applying fresh wax again too, but I do tend to only fully strip it before winter. I just did a clay, polish and wax recently since I just bought the FXT so I am just going to reapply this month without the strip.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Depending on where you live, wax should be good for at least 2-3 months so a monthly reapply is overkill. Technically, the old wax should be stripped before applying fresh wax again too, but I do tend to only fully strip it before winter. I just did a clay, polish and wax recently since I just bought the FXT so I am just going to reapply this month without the strip.
That's taking a bit overboard and really unnecessary.

If the wax is in a diminished state, what really is there to remove?

I prefer having a few good layers of wax on top of the paint, stripping the old wax off and you are back to the beginning. No advantage doing that if you want to build up a few layers of wax on the finish.

If you want you could use Meguiars Polymer Sealant #20 or #21 again, it has a mild cleaner in it that would probably remove any old wax if this is what you prefer to do.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5mt
296 Posts
I'm going to try Opticoat on our 96 OBS since the paint is older and a little faded on the top and wax doesn't last long on it. Opti-Coat 2.0

Everything I've read says there's no benefit to putting wax over polymer other than scratch filling post application, and I've pretty much found the same. After about 2 layers of wax you are adding no real benefit. I've been detailing my cars for ~20 years, most of which were dark colors (blue, red or black), and I've tried a lot of different methods and products. Not just shooting from the hip, just telling what I've come across that worked. On my own car, I don't use sealants, because I haven't found one that meets my needs yet. Based on a professional detailer showing great results with the Opticoat, I am going to give it a shot...on the other car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a brand new 2015 Forester and I decided to opt out of the Dealership offered "Paint Protection" but I would like to add something on my own. The vehicle hasn't been driven into any bugs or dirt yet. The vehicle will be going through some winter conditions. Wondering if I can skip all the steps and go right to Meguiars' NXT Generation® Tech Wax® 2.0 - Liquid?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
I've got a brand new 2015 Forester and I decided to opt out of the Dealership offered "Paint Protection" but I would like to add something on my own. The vehicle hasn't been driven into any bugs or dirt yet. The vehicle will be going through some winter conditions. Wondering if I can skip all the steps and go right to Meguiars' NXT Generation® Tech Wax® 2.0 - Liquid?
You sure can. Most people can go 100,000 miles without any sort of wax and still have the paint in decent condition. There are extremes when it comes to detailing (like people only using purified water, waxing only in a hermitically sealed lab, waiting for the planets to align before applying the 2nd coat), so answers will vary of what you "should" do. But with new paint, and just wanting to add some protection for winter, a good bucket wash, good rinse, and a wax with the NXT stuff with some good applicators and microfibers for the buffing parts will work out just fine. I use (used to I should say) the spray wax in between the hand waxes to maintain it throughout winter. Love the stuff. (I don't detail my car anymore other than the interior, 192k miles....and the paint is pretty much shot from the previous owner)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts