Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(not sure if this is the right section to post this question... It's both an interior issue as well as electrical?)

When my rear defrost button is depressed in my foz, I've got one annoying defrost line that doesn't work. =( I'm sure normal people could care less but it drives me crazy! In my head I have always viewed trashy unkept cars as the ones with the broken defrost lines.... and now I have one. lol

the crappy thing also is that I cannot see for the life of me where it may be broken. No nicks nothing on that line.. it looks perfect.

Any advice? I know there are some copper repair kits for them and also a sticker type fix with a copper line in it (and of course...that is if you can find the damaged spot to fix!) but could someone point me to one that they know works? Another thing I worry about is I want to tint eventually. Would these repair kits cause problems with that?

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
most of the kits will work all the same but finding it seems to be your problem. If its one of the lines in the middle and all the ones around it work then theres a good chance the break is along the horizontal. Have someone hold a flashlight on one side of the window and follow it along the whole line, this should help you get a better look at where its broken. If its not there definitely check the ends of the runs where it attaches only takes a small break.
The repairs kits won't give you a problem with tint until you take the tint off.

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bobby- Thanks! Looks like its on Amazon =)

jkoppee- I haven't looked at the vertical lines yet. I keep forgetting about it until rain comes and of course it shows up everytime the defogger is used. I did notice a scuff mark near the horizontal line but it doesn't appear to have broken the line. Thanks for the info! I'll be going out there once the rain stops =)

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
657 Posts
Use a multitester to pinpoint the exact location of the scratch.

Clip one of the test probes to a good ground, the use the 'resistance' setting to probe along the trace, then fix it with the silver paint above.

Use VERY little paint, just bridge the gap, don't paint on each side of the break. The paint spot will get considerably hotter than the rest of the damaged trace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts