Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad wants me to pay for the mechanic to fix it but since the axel is covered by warranty and will be free I'd like a chance to fix it. Is it a simple take the wheel off and undo the tie rods, take off the old axel and put in a new one in reverse order or is there more to it? Would be a good learning experience. Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Front, rear? Do you have the tools to do it safely?

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Jack up the side in question.
Remove the wheel, and then pop the center cap, then put the wheel back on and snug the lug nuts.
Lower the jack back down.
Get the proper size socket to break the axle nut free and use a breaker bar and loosen it up most of the way.
Get the Foz up on jack stands, put the trans in neutral and the emergency brake off once it is up on the stands.
Remove the front wheel.
Use a paint pen to mark where the camber bolt is clocked so you can put it back EXACTLY where it was.
Remove the caliper and rotor.
Remove the cotter pin for the lower ball joint.
Place the jack below the lower control arm with a piece of wood between the jack and the bottom of the arm.
Remove the nut from the ball joint.
Remove the strut to knuckle bolts.
Use a ball joint/tie rod end removal tool (harbor freight=cheap) to separate the ball joint from the lower control arm.
Remove the axle nut the rest of the way.
Remove the knuckle/hub assembly from the strut and lower control arm.

The outer portion of the axle will hang down if you don't support it somehow so figure that out so you don't damage it.

Use a large prybar to "pop" the axle out of the transmission.
Sometimes it helps to have something softer than the prybar acting as the fulcrum which you place between the tranny and the prybar to keep from galling the side of the tranny...use your imagination and come up with something.

Service the axle or replace it, and reverse these instructions for installation.

Hope that helps....it is completely off the top of my head but I think it is all there.

This method completely gets the knuckle and hub out of the way but leaves the strut hanging there.
You can also remove the strut and leave the knuckle and hub hanging there but it is much more of a ***** to get the axle all the way out of the hub.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Would you need an alignment after that?
If you unbolt the strut, I would say yes. IO have found that taking a black sharpie and marking the location of the strut before you remove it gets it pretty dang close. Heck, I have done 2 complete suspension swaps and my alignment is right on!

I have seen my local dealer mechanic pull a trans with the axles in place. He removes the balljoint and leaves the strut in tact, allowing him to remove the axle nut and pull it out.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
31mm or 32mm don't remember which. To confirm jgrote, yes, a 1.25" fits just fine(31.75mm).

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Probably a 32mm then. My 1.25 fits snugly. I don't imagine 31 would fit.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
On certain models theres a pin that holds the axle to axle stubs at the tranny end, not sure if foresters have that or if its just imprezas?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
44 Posts
I did it without removing the strut or camber bolts. Just remove the lower ball joint and pop it out.

·
Registered
03 x
384 Posts
i know the older foresters have the roll pin that holds the axle to the stub shaft at the trans. if it has the stub shaft and roll pin just pop out the rollpin, pry the inner end of the axle off the trans and remove the axle nut. you can get the axle out that way.

·
Registered
2002 Forester automactic
5 Posts
ball joint

Hey guys,

I tried removing my front axle yesterday with no success.
I didn't remove the ball joint nut (as in this video
)
do i have to ?
For the moment i think the axle is rusted, so that is why i cannot move it, but maybe it is just because the ball joint nut is still in ?
Thx

·
Registered
2002 Forester automactic
5 Posts
ball joint

Hey guys,

I tried removing my front axle yesterday with no success.
I didn't remove the ball joint nut (as in this video
)
do i have to ?
For the moment i think the axle is rusted, so that is why i cannot move it, but maybe it is just because the ball joint nut is still in ?
Thx

1 - 20 of 27 Posts