Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang! I have a lead on a VF43 locally, advertised as being from a 07 STI with 20,000 miles and no shaft play for $325. It seems like a good deal, BUT... is there anything I can check for on my own or "gotchas" to look out for before I accept it and hand over the money? I have to drive over an hour each way which tends to put the pressure on to accept something you're not quite sure about, so any "on the spot" check-out tips will be GREATLY appreciated!

(pfffff... so much for thinking I'd be happy at Stage 2 for long....):icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT
122 Posts
Not a pro, but from what I've learned...(short, but sweet, ok?)

1. Shaft play bad.
2. Wastegate crack not only normal, but OK and does NOT affect perfromance
3. See 1 and 2

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT
122 Posts
Holy crap, it's amazing that I only have 75 posts considering how much I lurk and how much *drunk* posting I do.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy crap, it's amazing that I only have 75 posts considering how much I lurk and how much *drunk* posting I do.
:Banane35: Gee, I've NEVER done THAT before! :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
ummmm if its a student that goes do UTI be careful.................having just finished up their, so kids are pretty shady

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
Shaft play, both radially and axially. Wheel to housing contact. Free spinning or not. Scoring on wheel or housing. Dulling of compressor wheels. Etc...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked it up.... no shaft play I could feel, could spin the blades with my fingertips, no oil leakage... but that ol' wastegate crack! So much for 43's not cracking :icon_rolleyes:

Just sent it off to Blouch for P&P; want to do everything sane to maximize spool since I got so addicted to the insta-spool on the TD04. Process West splitter for the STI TMIC I just got from Todd on it's way along with Perrin turbo hose (hoping for another small decrease in spool time) then wait for it to get back from Blouch and pray I don't screw it up putting it all on!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts