Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
the title pretty much says it all. What do i need to do to change the bulbs in the fog lights located in the front fender? I´ve looked and the bulbs seems not accesible easily.

thanx.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,739 Posts
The normal response would be RTFM, but the manual is very disappointing. All it says is to go to the dealer. That's Subaru's way of saying that it's really a hard job.

We've discussed this here at 2004 FXT Foglamp bulbs which contains links to some more detailed info provided by Peaty, our resident guru expert.

It's not a fun job. Basically you have to squeeze your arm through some plastic that doesn't want to move. Then you have to work by feel, twist a rubber cover, unlatch some metal catches, remove the old bulb, insert the new one without touching the glass, reconnect it, relatch the catches, retwist the rubber cover, and remove your arm from the crack in the plastic.

This is called poor engineering.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Fonta's got an SF, not SG

To remove and install the fog light protector:

1. Unhook the lower part of the fog light protector by pulling the hook down.
2. Pull the protector to remove it.
3. To install the protector, first insert the upper part of the protector into the gap between the fog light and body, then push the lower part of the protector until it clicks.
4. Make sure that the protector is locked in place by pulling it lightly

Bulb replacement:

1. Remove the fog light protector
2. Remove the fog light assembly by removing the two screws.
3. Disconnect the connector
4. Remove the fog light bulb by turning it counterclockwise
5. Replace the bulb with a new one. Then reconnect the connectors and reistall the removed parts in the reverse order of removal.

:p

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would loved to read the F/%&·&· manual but its a JDM SF5 so my manual is in japanese. Seems that those japanese engineers weren´t that smart after all.

fonta

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,739 Posts
Hey, folks. We have to find out what year Forester he's using. Fog lights were very different from 02 to 03, and they changed sometime later as well. My suggestions were for the 03-? models.

Member fontaracing: What year Forester do you have? Go to User CP and fill in your profile so that this info will automatically be included in any of your future posts.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,739 Posts
True, but one never knows. Always good to post the exact details in your signature.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a 2000 JDM Forester STI. SF5 chasis. EJ205T engine.
Pic is attached.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,739 Posts
fontaracing said:
its a 2000 JDM Forester STI. SF5 chasis. EJ205T engine.
Pic is attached.
Very pretty. But different lights from the ones I complain about on my 2003. Different hassles.

·
Registered
285 Posts
SenorSubie said:
Exactly

and i'm not 100% sure you have the same fogs
The instructions you posted are spot on. My fogs are exactly the same, and that is the procedure required for the bulb replacment.

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
i got my set of yellow bulbs today, thinking i had H3-types. i was looking into my fog/driving light lense and noticed how they didn't look like H3s. i just ordered a set of yellow 9006-types. i'll just save my H3s for when i get some Hellas.

_taF

·
Registered
2001 Forester L 5 MT
7 Posts
I have a 2001, will the HB4 work on mine? Additionally will the "Yellow" bulbs from eBay work in these housing?

·
Registered
2001 S20 Type A
3 Posts
I've also got a JDM SF5 (S20 Type A) 2001, and the pictures from the manual seem to fit my car. However, I've removed the two screws at the bottom of the Fog Lamp and it still wont budge. I guess it may clip into the bumper at the top but I cant even move it with plastic trim panel pry bars. Do they seize in position?

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 4EAT
14 Posts
Just wanted to say a big mahalos to SenorSubie for the pics and short write up. Upgraded my oem bulbs on my 2001 Foz to Nokya Hyper Yellows this evening. Took about 15 minutes to tackle both lights.

One tip for others ... The two bolts that SenorSubie is referring to are hex bolt screws .. there is one screw in the middle which is used for alignment of the lights which I accidentally unscrewed, definitely want to leave that one alone.

Once you get the two bolts undone, the light pops and you can unhook the lights. As SenorSubie said, rotate the bulbs counter clockwise to remove, install the new bulbs and put everything back together.

·
Registered
1998 Forester 5 speed manual
14 Posts
Are these the same instructions for a 98 as well? I've got a busted housing assembly on my passenger fog lamp and am looking to replace it as soon as I can find one for a decent price.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts