Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I need to bypass the front passenger airbag on a 2007 forester.
I found the airbag harness and it 4 wires:
yellow-red
yellow-green
yellow
yellow-black

I understood I need to connect 3.3 Ohm resistors for side airbag with two wires.
What do I do with the 4 wires ? two resistors ?

Thanks
Guy

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,846 Posts
Have you tried installing the seat to see if the occupant (weight) sensor detects the baby seat? :confused:

If yes, I'd guess the weight sensor is the key, so I'd try unpluging it & see if the passenger airbag turns on. There is the possiblity that unplugging the sensor will give you an airbag alarm, which puts you back to square one. :frown:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
baby

It is allowed to put a baby seat on the front passenger seat, many cars have switches to cancel the air bag, subaru 2007 doesn't have that switch, so this is why I need to bypass it, without having an alert.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
26 Posts
Yes, but allowed vs. smart thing to do are two different things. What if something hits your windshield and breaks it or you hit a deer??

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
To my knowledge, putting a baby seat in front is allowed in the U.S. on trucks and vehicles that do not have any other place to put them (Miatas, corvettes, ect). Those vehicles will have a way to disable the airbag. It is still not the best way, but is such things as pickups and cargo vans, there is no other choice. It IS NOT okay "legal" to do it in cars without such disabling mechanisms. Can the system be fooled, yes, but is it safe, no. Sorry for the rant, but I just fear reading about another dead kid because of a parent making a bad decision. I see it around here all too often.
Be safe.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
OMG what possible reason would one have to put an infant in the front seat of a 5 passenger car?

Even if you disable the airbag, what do you do if the airbag goes off accidentally anyway in an accident? Because that DOES happen. Then you will have the pleasure of looking over and seeing a headless child's corpse. And then watching the rescue squads search for aforementioned head in a field next to the road.

There is no reason why a child shouldn't be in the backseat of a car that has a backseat, at ALL.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,233 Posts
Well. I am going to defend him somewhat. The passenger and driver compartments are structurally stronger than the rear. And really facing away from the windshield negates that as an issue.

Also many crashes are rear end where the driver has little control. In this case you would be much better off in the front.

Does your spouse or significant other ride in the rear if you think its so safe??

·
Registered
06 LL Bean
34 Posts
Prior to doing this, it might be smart to contact your local authorities to discuss having a child in the front seat. You should also check the Child Protection Agency in your state as well for information regarding having a child in the front seat of a passenger car.

I am in agreement with the statements posted here and the fact that pickup trucks and two seaters have the option to cut off the passenger air bag. In my opinion, I would not allow children in the front of pickups or two seaters either.

I know in CT, a child cannot be in the front seat of a passenger car until at least the age of 12, a certain weight and height. I would also assume that if you were in an accident, your insurance company could deny you benefits as your child was not restrained appropriately in back seat. The decision is yours, but ask yourself why and if this is the safest option for your child.

·
Registered
1999 forester
1 Posts
i read your question and the long crap following by these bored guys.
i have the same need in an older model 1999, have you figured it out finally?

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,846 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

I'm going to guess most of "those bored guys", as you wrote, could easily figure out how to do this, but don't feel comfortable helping to disable a vehicle safety device. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts