Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Sprt CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I buy “Full size spare trunk cover part: 91141SJ020” from Fuji Industries in Japan, find the product on their site and import it to the US? I’ve heard there may be groups of people looking to do the same, so we can share in the import and shipping cost, but I’m unsure where to look or start on this project. My dealersh parts manager suggested I go this route since he can’t order that part.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,777 Posts
From the picture - it looks like the foam cover that goes over the tire is higher/sticks up? So how would that work with the luggage "floor"...?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
448 Posts
Can't help with the "how", but I'm also interested.

@FozzieBalou It doesn't look like it really sticks up to me. I think it's just an illusion because the pieces don't match up neatly.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
143 Posts
@Ryan Scott Since you have an SK one possibility may be to wait until the Forester Wilderness comes out. If it's anything like the Outback a full size spare will be part of the package so the parts will be available through SOA.

In the shorter term you could try some of the companies that import JDM parts. No doubt you can find some recommendations here on the forum.

Reactions: OutbackJon

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,497 Posts
Will just the cover be enough?
I'd thought there wasn't enough room in the well to accommodate the full size tire, so would the foam piece actually help?
Is there perhaps a difference between the Japanese cars and the imports?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,777 Posts
From what I understand, the well under the floor is big enough (around anyway) to hold the full-size tire (like if you have a flat)... but there has not been a foam "organizer" unit that fits on top without raising the cargo floor.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
757 Posts
Well....long ago back in my race car days I had a "friend" that lived in Japan. All he did was just place orders via the dealer parts department. He did speak Japanese so...it was just a matter of shipping it.
Now, If I where to want something like that.. I would try my luck on calling a Subaru dealer (preferably on in Tokyo) and hope someone can speak English, and order to your hearts content. And pay boat loads on international shipping.

Or.... find some dude in Japan that is trustworthy....

·
Registered
Planned 2022 Forester Touring Owner
229 Posts
@Ryan Scott
You might consider just waiting a few months for the 2022s to drop and their parts to become available. When it does there is going to be a new Wilderness trim for the forester. What that will entail exactly is not known, but I think we can safely say it will have a full size spare. That is a part of the Outback Wilderness (and Onyx) trim and is a pretty simple feature to add.

That said, there are websites to buy Subaru JDM online. I've seen it mentioned but would have to look for it.

Finally, I noticed that part number you show has "SJ" in it. That is the 4th generation moniker and likely won't fit your 2019 which is a 5th generation (SK). Only the JDM Sport trim of the forester will have a spare as the others are hybrids and the spare tire slot is used for the battery. I don't know for sure, but looking at their documentation I believe it is a temporary spare just like ours. They might have a full size spare in other regions, but I would have no idea where to find that. I still think your best bet is just being patient and waiting for the Wilderness to drop and snag its part.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
143 Posts
@Ryan Scott Australia might be another way to go. IIRC the ANZ market Foresters come with a full size spare.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sport 5-speed
445 Posts
try japanparts.com, or any of the companies that import JDM cars or car parts like jdmracingmotors.com...They can usually get parts for people as well.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
79 Posts
The vehicles where a full size spare is available has a bit deeper spare tire well. I have a full size spare in mine but even without the foam the board sticks up slightly. I live with this because I know when I need the full size spare I have it.

·
Registered
Planned 2022 Forester Touring Owner
229 Posts
The vehicles where a full size spare is available has a bit deeper spare tire well. I have a full size spare in mine but even without the foam the board sticks up slightly. I live with this because I know when I need the full size spare I have it.
I can't confirm myself, but this contradicts everything I've read from other's here and elsewhere. What size is your tire? The cavity will be made for the standard width of 225. If you are running 235 or 245 it might not fit.

Also, you have a 2015 SJ (gen 4). He had a 2019 SK (gen 5). They could be different.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
208 Posts
To see if the full size fits, just take one off and put it in the hole.
Rather than making an international call and hoping for someone who speaks English, you might try finding a dealer on the internet. Either in Japan or Australia. No language barrier for Australia.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
74 Posts
How can I buy “Full size spare trunk cover part: 91141SJ020” from Fuji Industries in Japan, find the product on their site and import it to the US? I’ve heard there may be groups of people looking to do the same, so we can share in the import and shipping cost, but I’m unsure where to look or start on this project. My dealersh parts manager suggested I go this route since he can’t order that part.
Did you try talking to the parts department at your local Subaru dealer? They can order the part for you.
BTW, Fuji Heavy Industries changed their name to Subaru Corporation in 2017.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Sprt CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you try talking to the parts department at your local Subaru dealer? They can order the part for you.
BTW, Fuji Heavy Industries changed their name to Subaru Corporation in 2017.
Dealership Parts Manager said it wasn’t even showing as a real part in his system, but he believes it’s real, just not available to him using his Subaru America search inventory.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,996 Posts
... the well under the floor is big enough ... to hold the full-size tire... but there has not been a foam "organizer" unit that fits on top without raising the cargo floor.
Subaru has always made floor pans to accommodate full size spare tires, as they are provided in most markets except North America.
With a compact spare, the carpeted cargo floor is supported by a thick rigid molded foam storage panel which also allows storage of the retractable cargo cover.
With a full size spare, the floor is supported by the tire and a storage bucket that fits in the rim. The plastic bucket is PN 91141SA010.
Here is my Forester with compact and full size spares:

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,777 Posts
Thanks for that Vintage ... but the rear compartment layout is totally different on the SJ (and probably SK, too).

The entire floor (with the exception of the two indents on the quarter trim) lifts up and the spare is centered in the space. But then there is the foam insert with storage that then goes on top of the spare and the wooden floor of the cargo area sits on that. There is also a small foam inseart to hold the jack inside the spare as well.

Our OP shows the SK generation (presumably JDM) and the SJ is similar. The reason I'm assuming JDM is that the foam structure that sits on top of the wheel in the SJ doesn't have that window-like space at the top and the foam has inserts to store the rear luggage cover under the load floor. There may also be space to store the roof-rack cross-bars under there as well.

This image is from the cars101 site by Joe Spitz and shows the SJ foam insert.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts