Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5-speed manual
137 Posts
Today I bought a few more cap screws and a piece of scrap steel, 10mm x 50mm x 130mm (or so), some drilling and tapping, some grinding of the 10mm x 1.5 bolt so the end fits inside the cap screw and can turn within it, I think I have a reasonably useful puller.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
511 Posts
Let us know how it all works out. Good idea.
I’m working on something similar. Our 03 clutch plates spines are pretty seized. The ac works fine but need to try to get it off just in case.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It works on the unit from which I'd already removed the clutch. I used this to hold it while I screwed it in with the cap screws, then when it was on I used it to remove it again.

Some specs...

I've used a 10mm x 1.5 bolt as the main screw, the three 5mm bolts are 30mm and I turn them in about five or six turns. The 30mm x 6mm cap screw is screwed in almost all the way to provide a solid base for the 10mm bolt to push on, the ground-down section going inside the cap screw and it's able to turn in it.

When I used it to pull the clutch of the spare compressor I had to pause when it came out so far that the clutch hub was up to the base of the head of the cap screw. Then I turned the 6mm cap screw out about six or seven turns and re-engaged the 10mm bolt. As the cap screw was no longer right down the thread it turned with the 10mm bolt, but with that bolt going in 1.5mm per turn and the cap screw only going 1mm, it was just enough to take it the rest of the way. Had it not been so, it would only have been a matter of turning the cap screw out a few turns again.

I did, by the way, taper the end of the 6mm cap screw so it wouldn't get jammed up in the thread inside the compressor shaft. Just enough so there was no thread at the end of the screw.

I want to do some more shaping and grinding of the lump of steel it's made from to remove sharp edges and make it more comfortable to work with. I'm not at this stage in a rush to go using it under the bonnet, but that day will soon come.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The air conditioning clutch got the big workout today:

The puller I made for the job and bolts used in operating it. You can see I've modified it so it can be used for bolting up without getting in the way. I should have put the bolt pattern closer to the end

Everything out of the way and ready to start the pull. Copperslip was used everywhere appropriate. At this time I've still got to get all the 5mm bolts lined up at the same length to keep the puller body and bolt straight.

Stage 1 - to the point where the hub is up against the flange of the cap screw.

Turning the cap screw out five or six turns to complete the pull.

Prepared for the final push.

Gently lift out with a bolt still in the middle to catch the shims, the rag is there in case they fall.

No, the spacers came off the end of the bolt and lodged in the compressor housing.

Comparing the old clutch with the one off the spare - the old one is worn right out on the inner ring.

Reversing the procedure to pull it all back on...

And the final step to lock it in place.

Along the way I dispensed with the services of the thickest of the shims, a brief drive with the air full on and the fan full on showed no signs of it tiring of being used.

So far I'm counting it all as a successful operation.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oh yeah...

Better yet, encourage people to make their own. It was relatively easy, it gives a lot of satisfaction to do that sort of thing and it probably cost me about $8 or $9 to make it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Nice work. How did you get the bolt hole pattern? Can you upload a diagram with the spacing of the three m5 bolt hole ? Was your clutch plate seized on with rust?
I may use slots instead of holes.
Want to do this on a 2003 Forester.

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't forget, I had another one to play with, I'd already removed the clutch from it by the method previously described...

So I tried to spot the holes through that onto my piece of steel. I made up for the various errors with a small chain saw file.

There was a pretty fair old 'snap' when it started to come off and a couple more 'cracks' in the next couple of turns. It took about a turn and a half to get it moving, but I think the little 6mm cap screw was turning in with the main bolt at that time.

Note that I put a small taper on the ends of those bolts so they won't damage the internal thread when they get to the end of it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
There are spotter screws that are threaded into the part that transfers the exact hole centers. Transfer screws.
I may buy the ac clutch holder and copy the slot pattern.

My plate will be a round steel disc. 1/4” thick steel.
Good work! Thanks for sharing your technique.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, yes, there are... but until you get the clutch off you don't have access to them...

And I'd suggest you think again about a round disc. I made mine the way I did so I can hold onto it while I turn tight bolts.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes. That’s a good idea. A rectangular plate that also acts as a handle.
I was going to use a clutch tool holder with the puller, but I like your all in one design better.
Well done. Thanks again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think I had about 4.5" from the centre bolt to the far end of the piece. Around that, anyway. And that was enough that it would swing around until it came to the steel cover over the alternator belt, so you don't even have to hold it.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts