Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ask this question because I do not seem to put in the amount of oil the owners manual specifies.

Therefore, I thought this thread might help those less experienced at oil changes (me) get a feel for what actually happens.

Can I ask for only the following:

Owners manual specification/actual

Example:

4 L/4.4L

1 litre = 1.0567 Quart - US (according to my iPhone app):rock:

This is not intended to be a debate of which oil to use but rather useful info for those doing their first oil change and find that the oil needed to fill to the "F" on the dip stick when cold isn't what the owners manual claims.

thanks

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
I put in 4.5 US qts and then run it briefly to circulate the oil. Shut down, let sit awhile. Check level on dipstick then add as necessary to bring to the top hole on the dipstick. This is with a filter change, using OE filter. I am very OCD about the car being level for this. I use a carpenter's level on the rocker panel to ensure its as close to level f/r as possible. In my garage, this means having 3/4" thick board under each rear wheel to compensate for the drainage grade on my garage slab.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Disparity between Owner's Manual and Factory Service Manual

This thread made me look up oil capacity in the owner's manual as well as the service manual PDF module I downloaded from the Subaru Technical Information site.

Section 11-10 and 12-4 of the Owner's Manual states "4.2 US qts"

But the Service Manual module (attached in above post) gives it as "When replacing engine oil and oil filter [ L (US qt, Imp qt) ] 4.2 (4.4, 3.7)" which indicates 4.2 Liters, 4.4 US qts, or 3.7 Imperial qts)

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesting find:
My service manual states: 5L Overhaul, 4.2L with oil filter replacement, 4L just oil change

My owners manual just states:
4L oil capacity

It would appear the filter holds 200mL. I am going to verify how much the filter holds tomorrow.

I find it interesting that you put in 5 qts of oil when it calls for 4.4. For us metric people that is and additional 568mL.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
Oh boy!!!:icon_rolleyes: For us crazy freazin cold Canucks...4.4L or 4 litres is the same....Well....to have drunk 4.4L of beer instead of 4L is a damn good day!!!:lol:

So my Foz gets 4.4L of oil every oil change!!!:icon_wink:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
545 Posts
everyone at my dealership does 4.6qt at it usually works out to be perfect. keep in mind though that the time you let the oil drain has an affect on how much you need to put in :icon_wink:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
I put in 5 quarts every time and call it good, but I always drain the old oil very thoroughly too.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Turbo or N/A models? I dump in 5 US quarts (some of that goes into the new filter, I use the old OEM black ones) and it's all good 'till about 4K, then I'll add a bit more. I'll burn under a quart in 6K or so.

Please, don't run your turbo engines with 4.2 US quarts of oil in it, it'll starve.

I let it drain for at least an hour
You are nuts. You could be driving the crap out of your car for that hour.

Stan

·
Registered
05 FXT 5MT
255 Posts
I put in 5 quarts every time and call it good, but I always drain the old oil very thoroughly too.
Yup. Me too. In my Impreza, I see high rpms and high lateral loads on a regular basis, this and a EJ22T oilpump are my insurance against spun bearings.

The pans are deep enough (and have enough baffling) with the crank being so high in the block that I'm not worried about windage. I never see my pressure fluctuating at high rpm. I know many people who've returned from the track with spun bearings or ventilated blocks.....most were running 4.2-4.6 qts.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,088 Posts
Someone posted this reply from SOA on oil capacity. I guess the extra .2 is for what's in the turbo oil lines and the turbo itself.
January 2009
Dear xxxx:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We do apologize for this inconvenience. We appreciate that you brought this to our attention. The correct capacity for the engine oil for the 2004 Forester XT is 5 quarts when replacing the engine oil and filter.
The 4.2 quart capacity noted in your owner's manual is for the 2004 Forester non-turbo models when just filling up the engine oil and not replacing the filter. The capacity of the non-turbo models when replacing the filter is 4.8 quarts.
We have advised our Publications Department that this information needs to be added to future Forester owner's manuals.
Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us.
Happy Holidays to you and your family!
Best wishes,
John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.
So it is:
5 quarts XT when replacing filter
4.8 quarts X when replacing filter
4.2 quarts X if not replacing filter
And I just put the whole 5 quarts in my X.

·
Registered
2003 forester
28 Posts
One note of caution about overfilling the crankcase. High oil levels can create a mist in the cases that gets sucked up into the intake via the crankcase vent and lead to carbon buildup on the pistons. Better a wee bit low than too high.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,100 Posts
One note of caution about overfilling the crankcase. High oil levels can create a mist in the cases that gets sucked up into the intake via the crankcase vent and lead to carbon buildup on the pistons. Better a wee bit low than too high.
The .2 or .5 of a quart could be hardly be considered overfilling ill bet it dosent raise the level of the oil in the sump 1mm.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts