Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I’m new to Subaru and have heard there’s not as much room to negotiate as other brands. I’m not sure how much that’s true. If I’m offered an invoice price if $32200, what is a reasonable counter offer as well as expected middle point? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
539 Posts
Your target should try to be $1k-2k off invoice (depending on trim) and then try to find a point to meet in between. Never settle on invoice.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
79 Posts
Ask the dealer for an invoice. I don't have an example but there are images floating here in the forums which will show you what they look like. It will be from Subaru of America printed potrait on normal sized paper.

I live in the heart of Subaru country here in the Pacific Northwest. Foresters here at every corner. Don't let them fool you into a higher price. You will be able to do 1-2k off invoice. I am a timid individual but with perseverance I managed to get 1.5k below invoice. Don't do the walk out "trick" that people love to tout here. Commit to a price, have them "talk" to the manager a few times. Don't let them give you the "but how will we make money if we're selling below invoice?" talk. Be prepared to leave empty handed and go on to the next dealership.

I know you didn't ask for negotiating tips, but I felt like you should know.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
38 Posts
I have generally used the rule of thumb that OTD "out the door" price....including all doc fees, taxes, registration, etc....should be just about the same as the sticker price.
This is maybe ~~10% discount here in California.
Really helps too, to buy something that they have in stock on the lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discounts also vary heavily by region. Certain regions are more willing to discount than others.
I got $4K off back in April on my 2019 in N. Calif. There's a term called "HoldBack" that's normally 3% of MSRP. that's for flooring and advertising. If a car dealer sys they are selling it to you for invoice, they are still making money

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Forester XT CVT
27 Posts
I'm in the Mid-Atlantic, and I bought my 2018 Touring Forester for almost $5,000 off invoice. If you're in the US, what you need to do first is get a "TrueCar" price on the Internet from at least three dealers (one of them, your local dealer). Then go see the local dealership car and test drive it (i.e., at your local dealer). Be nice to your local dealer, get a price from them, and then go to a 2nd dealer from your TrueCar list, who can give you a written offer that beats all the "TrueCar" prices. Then go back to the dealership that gave you a test drive, be prepared to buy the car right then and there, and tell him to reduce the price even more. I came ready to buy "right then and there" and had no hassle, no haggling, no issues whatsoever. My test drive dealership did better than the lowest TrueCar price from the 2nd dealer, and I bought the car right then and there, with zero hassle, zero haggle, and I got a huge amount off the invoice. It also helped that it was the holiday season, so you may want to wait 4-6 weeks if you can, as during the holidays dealership boys and girls are trying to hit numbers. The main thing is to be a nice guy, express interest, develop commonalities, and don't burn bridges. If you play your cards right, you'll get a better discount from them than they give their girlfriends... Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have generally used the rule of thumb that OTD "out the door" price....including all doc fees, taxes, registration, etc....should be just about the same as the sticker price.
This is maybe ~~10% discount here in California.
Really helps too, to buy something that they have in stock on the lot.
I wouldn't follow this rule, especially if I was shopping for a 2019.

I'm in CA and taxed at 9.25%. My OTD price on 2019 Touring was $1,150 below MSRP.

The base price was $1879 below the invoice price and the added fees were tax, title, license only. And I probably could have done better if I hadn't been as eager!

That was three weeks ago and deals for 2019 still in stock should only get better. If anyone's willing to buy a 2019 and be patient, hold firm at $2000 below invoice and don't let them try to add any BS fees. Your success may very based on local inventory, of course.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
461 Posts
Generally $1000 off invoice = good deal, $1500 off = great deal and $2000 off = killer deal.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
389 Posts
First, get local TrueCar prices. They are nowhere good deals. That gives you a rough idea where you should start to haggle.
Don't shy to contact a faraway dealer. I live near NYC and got my Forester from a dealer in NH. I got ~$1700 off TrueCar MSRP. I could never figure out real MSRP. But that was the best deal any dealership gave me that I didn't bother haggling. Some dealerships also accused me of falsifying numbers for haggling purpose or someone went far enough to tell me that NH dealer is cheating me and I will come to know at the end of my auto loan.

Sometimes when you haggle, the dealerships ask you to prove the price you are getting at another dealer. That time, if your region is pretty hard on price, faraway dealer's price comes handy to haggle.

Do not rush, take your time. Most important, take multiple test drives.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ask the dealer for an invoice. I don't have an example but there are images floating here in the forums which will show you what they look like. It will be from Subaru of America printed potrait on normal sized paper.

I live in the heart of Subaru country here in the Pacific Northwest. Foresters here at every corner. Don't let them fool you into a higher price. You will be able to do 1-2k off invoice. I am a timid individual but with perseverance I managed to get 1.5k below invoice. Don't do the walk out "trick" that people love to tout here. Commit to a price, have them "talk" to the manager a few times. Don't let them give you the "but how will we make money if we're selling below invoice?" talk. Be prepared to leave empty handed and go on to the next dealership.

I know you didn't ask for negotiating tips, but I felt like you should know.
Thanks for the info. I am from WA state on the lookout for 2020 Forester Touring. Any favorite dealers? Most dealers around here are nor ready to go below invoice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am from WA state on the lookout for 2020 Forester Touring. Any favorite dealers? Most dealers around here are nor ready to go below invoice.
if you have Costco membership, use it could help you. My friend in Seattle used that got a pretty good price.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts