Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still on my first tank right now, half of tank runs 210KM (city 70%, hwy 30%, winter gas), just wondering how much longer I can drive once the gas light up. THX.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
gas light

FYI-- SOA says when light comes on, find a station. I'm sure SOC says the same.

At any rate, typically (could vary) when the light comes on, you've got about 1.5 gallons (Imperial) or about 7 litres of fuel in the tank.

In the city, I wouldn't go more than 40km before pulling into a station. On the highway, you could push it to 50km safely. Of course, all this depends greatly on your driving habits. heavier foot= find a station faster.

Also, I've noticed that on my 09 Forester X 4EAT, after the needle was clearly resting on the last line of the gauge (totally on "E"), the tank still had a little under 1 US gallon (.5 gallon imperial) or about 3.5 litres still in the tank.

Better to be safe than sorry.:icon_wink:

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot, 40~50km is definitely long enough to find a station. I won't risk that range.

·
Registered
05 FXT Broken 5-speed
239 Posts
I ran out of fuel on Super Bowl Sunday. When my low-fuel light came on, I ran it 25 miles, and ran out of fuel. Now, I am running E85, so that does have some bearing on gas mileage. All I needed was 7 miles more, to be at the E85 station, which is walking distance to my house. I even have a Walbro 255 LPH, fuel pump installed, which sits lower in the tank.
Let's just say I don't go below a 1/4 tank now.
Absubtle
CO
BTW- I have an 05 FXT.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
To the next station? Seriously, why do people try to find out. Several of my coworkers run out of gas in company vans every year. We don't even pay for our gas. It's no more expensive to fill the top half of the tank. (sorry for rant)

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
When the light comes on, you find a station. You could probably drive another 20-30 miles with it on, but there are too many variables (your driving style, type of driving, weather, climate, tires, road surface, wind, etc) to give you an exact distance or milage.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
If you do run out, you risk long term damage to the fuel pump. Also, less fuel in the tank means more room for condensation. Why risk it?

For me and the driving I do, I try to keep the tank at least 1/2 full. On some of my drives reputable gas stations are over 100 kms apart.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,970 Posts
This question has been asked a few times here, and the general answer is that there is no specific answer. People have reported lots of different numbers.

Best advice: do it!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,520 Posts
If you do run out, you risk long term damage to the fuel pump. Also, less fuel in the tank means more room for condensation. Why risk it?

For me and the driving I do, I try to keep the tank at least 1/2 full. On some of my drives reputable gas stations are over 100 kms apart.
I agree. In addition, the fuel pump motor is cooled by the fuel, so running it low can cause it to run hot & possibly cause it to fail or shorten its life. :frown:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does "Re-Fuel" light show up at this much left?

I'm a new owner, just wondering if "Re-Fuel" light shows up at this much left?

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
There have been a bunch of posts on this question, here is one example: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f107/most-miles-tank-09-a-67221/

Consensus seems to be when the light comes on, one needs to find a gas station pretty quick!

I have found my fuel gauge to be less than stellar. For example, my gauge rarely shows at the full mark after I have filled up. As such I rely more on the kms driven vs the l/100 km readout to determine how much further I can go.

Best thing you can do is go and fill up and see how much fuel goes in vs the 64l claimed capacity.

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it's my first tank though, better to know it well.
and thanks, I'll gas it up now! :)

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,970 Posts
I'm a new owner, just wondering if "Re-Fuel" light shows up at this much left?
A common question here. So common that's it's actively being discussed at this very moment in another thread. One that you started it would appear. So I've merged your new thread with the already existing one. We like to keep things tidy.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Make a note of how much gas your car takes and where the the needle sits on the gauge when the light comes on. By using the listed tank capacity and your mileage you can estimate pretty closely as to what you have left in the tank when the light comes on.

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Make a note of how much gas your car takes and where the the needle sits on the gauge when the light comes on. By using the listed tank capacity and your mileage you can estimate pretty closely as to what you have left in the tank when the light comes on.
so a tank only runs 444km = 275mi?
mpg seems not that good tho....maybe, first tank burns more than usual.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Sounds about right. There's a lot of variables. Definitely not a high mileage car with AWD. It improves as the car breaks in usually.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
275 miles on a full tank before the light goes on is very good for XT, actually. Daily driving, I get about 220 - 250 miles. I've gone 320+ miles on a tank, but only on long trips.

Stan

1 - 20 of 53 Posts