Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
The power output for the XT was under rated and was closer to 230HP. That would make the actual gain from stage1 roughly 35HP.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Forget about how much power the Staged maps give. The AP is a starting point for future mods. The AP could be an essential part to gains for 100hp or more.

·
Registered
1988 BMW 535is
776 Posts
I have stage1. I don't feel like it makes much peak difference but the powerband is overall MUCH meatier.

·
Registered
08 WRX 5 door
373 Posts
agree

I have stage1. I don't feel like it makes much peak difference but the powerband is overall MUCH meatier.
some gain in peak power but the powerband like you said is a larger RPM range. Turbo spins up sooner and spins longer before dropping off.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
Is an accessport really worth the cash? Esp. with free tuning software becoming more available if you get the $80 cable... I've considered an AP many times but my friend who has a WRX and is pretty knowladgable always says they're a waste cause you can only download maps that aren't specific to your car and your mods (i mean they're specific to the make and model, but every car is a little different), unless you spend a bunch more money to get the street tuner version...

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
If you don't ever intend to switch maps then the free software is good. But you have to know what you're doing with the free software.

Is an accessport really worth the cash? Esp. with free tuning software becoming more available if you get the $80 cable... I've considered an AP many times but my friend who has a WRX and is pretty knowladgable always says they're a waste cause you can only download maps that aren't specific to your car and your mods (i mean they're specific to the make and model, but every car is a little different), unless you spend a bunch more money to get the street tuner version...

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
Is an accessport really worth the cash? Esp. with free tuning software becoming more available if you get the $80 cable...
Absolutely. This is by far one of the best investments you can make. It doesn't prevent you from buying an $80 cable and learning how to use free tuning software too.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
26 Posts
Definitely worth it IMO. The bump in power wasn't as dramatic as it was when chipping my S4 but the overall improvement is quite noticeable. Low-end torque is always "right there". The AP helps wake up an already very capable engine.

FWIW, I had my wife drive before and after the reflash to get a more "non-enthusiast" take and she came away impressed.

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
I recently posted regarding the results of going stage I AP, and stated that I didn't think it felt much different than stock. I made the program change, drove it a little bit, then left town for three weeks leaving the car behind. My wife drove it a few times, but the car got driven very little.

I returned home this weekend and took the car out for a drive, but this time it felt noticeably stronger. Not peaky power bursts mind you, but just better, more noticeable power delivery across the entire RPM range. Very smooth. I put my Pro-Drive axle-back on after that drive, and now it sounds a bit better too. I am planning on doing the DP/UP and stage II map next week when my mechanical o2 CEL fix.

Overall I am much more impressed with the stage I than I thought I would be. Maybe my wife was hot-rodding the car and making the AP program learn a more agressive driving style??? ....Nah...surely not!

Anyway, the AP gives a buyer quite a few options for tuning, and if you can buy it right used like I did, then its a real deal.

JR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts