Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
I did my first change to 5W40 Motul 8100 at 1000 miles, and I change every 3k to 3500, depending on my schedule.

I change my trans fluid every 15k.

·
Registered
03 FoFo X
22 Posts
Anyone interested in this topic will find this page about Synthetics at Allpar to be quite interesting..

www . allpar . com/eek/synthetic.html

One guy, Dan Stern, is pushing his to 16,000 mile intervals!!! This is with Mobil-1 10w-30 and the XHD oil filter
Of course it all depends on driving conditions and the way you drive you car.

Allpar Webmaster said:
"General Motors has started fitting its cars with a computer based monitoring system which determines the need for oil changes based on driving habits, weather, and other conditions. They find that many customers can safely change their oil at 10,000 miles, rather than 3,000 miles. Indeed, some can stretch it out longer. "

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Why tempt fate? Oil is cheap. $30 an oil change every other month is no big deal to me. Cutting that in half wouldn't change my life or anything.

Same goes for trans fluid. The investment is marginal compared to the potential payouts. If I were driving something a little more mundane, like a N/A Outback or whatever, then I wouldn't feel bad about stretching intervals out.

I do ~5k intervals for my wifes 09 Impreza 2.5i with the same oil I use.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
Get a UOA (used oil analysis) done and it will give you a pretty good idea of how long you can go between changes. I usually go 4-5k, although the guys at Blackstone keep telling me that 6k intervals would be ok too. I like to err on the safe side, though.

Oh, and if in doubt, RTFM and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Why tempt fate? Oil is cheap. $30 an oil change every other month is no big deal to me. Cutting that in half wouldn't change my life or anything.

Same goes for trans fluid. The investment is marginal compared to the potential payouts. If I were driving something a little more mundane, like a N/A Outback or whatever, then I wouldn't feel bad about stretching intervals out.

I do ~5k intervals for my wifes 09 Impreza 2.5i with the same oil I use.
If you do oil analysis every oil change you can push higher miles, but as said, it is cheaper to just do it ever 3-5k. On my cars I strictly stick to 3k because they get a lot of commuting miles and me driving it rough on back roads :Banane35:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
for a modified turbo, I wouldn't go more than 5k. I drive mine hard and it sees shorter trips, I do 4k intervals with mobil1 EP and the pureone pl14612 or pl14610. The main issue I have is fuel dilution due to the shorter trips and cold temps here during most of the year. Also if I run longer than 4K I have to top up the oil, and I'd rather just do a full oil change at that point.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
If you do oil analysis every oil change you can push higher miles, but as said, it is cheaper to just do it ever 3-5k. On my cars I strictly stick to 3k because they get a lot of commuting miles and me driving it rough on back roads :Banane35:
My car sees mostly commuting miles as well, ~70 to 100 miles of highway/backroads per day.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
I just changed to Full Synthetic and was wondering how many miles on a Oil Change? I have been doing 3000 miles,should I go longer?
If it's under warranty, follow the recommendations in the owner's manual. It should be around 3,700 miles for normal driving conditions, and perhaps 3,000 miles for extreme conditions (such as extreme cold weather, hard driving, and so forth). Regardless, always follow the Subaru instructions in the manual, or on their web page. I use Mobil 1, or Penzoil synthetic oils, grade 5W-30, and replace it every 3,000 miles. Once the warranty is over with, then I will probably replace it every 4 months or 4,000 miles.

Also, I buy oil from whichever store has the best deal in town. It happens to be Walmart at the moment at $23.00 or less per gallon.

·
Registered
06 Forester
115 Posts
I've been changing synthetic for years now no sooner than every 6000 miles with UOA from Blackstone for every change.
This was done in my stage2 WRX and now in the family forester. As a matter of fact i go every 7500 in the forester as it is easier to remember.
UOA comes back positive every time.

on a side note, in my commuter MINI I do it according to the little oil odometer that MINI has and that puts me at about 15-16k between oil changes on synthetic German Castrol ;)

I wouldn't waste my money on 3000mile changes. People say its' a cheap insurance, but I believe in the science of my UOAs

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
I've typically used a 3,000 mile interval for oil changes using Pennzoil 10W-30 or 10w-40 on both of my vehicles.

While my Sube is still fairly new, 178,000 on my 1996 Dodge Intrepid daily driver tells me that plan works pretty well. The heads and pan have never been off the engine and the UOA results are still excellent.

·
Registered
2005 2.0 XT 4EAT
83 Posts
In Australia, Subaru recommend an oil change every 12,500kms or 7,500 miles.
Aha, I see the metric gang have arrived :Banane17:

In Singapore it's generally every 10,000km or 6,213 miles. Some fussy people change every 5,000km or 3,106 miles, and some track day nutters change before and after each track day!

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
I just changed to Full Synthetic and was wondering how many miles on a Oil Change? I have been doing 3000 miles,should I go longer?
With your mods I would invest some $ in oil analysis and go fro there anything else would be just guessing. To be honest if you drive your car hard I would not extend over 3K and I would def used synthetic but if you are changing every 3k almost any synthetic would be fine and I would not waste $ on any high end mail order oil. To be honest I would rather change more often cheaper synthetic than streatch with higher end oil. UOA won't give you the whole picture but it is better than guessing or basing your assumption on someone else experience.

·
Registered
15 FORESTER CVT
314 Posts
To recap a post I placed on the AMSOIL thread the majority of my family was/is involved in the heavy equipment/trucking industry. The road-tractor currently being discussed averages about 3K each week which comes out to roughly 144K each year. The truck is rotated out approximately ever 5 years and not because it's worn out. Regular "Dyno" oil (Shell Rotella T) is changed at approximately 40K. Yes, these trucks have a huge oil capacity and 2, if not 3 filters at times. Grossing up-to 80K in any weather condition and grade you can imagine puts more stress on the equipment in one week then you will ever put on your average car in a lifetime. Where talking about a piece of equipment that sets you back approximately 150K to purchase and is maintained properly.

I personally use Mobil 1 Extended Performance and put a new Hastings filter (anti-drain valve equipped) on at 5K with oil top off. The full change comes at 15K. I've had minimal wear verified by analyses at over 100K on the odometer in the past. One last bit of info is that I swap the factory drain plug with magnetic too.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I don't know if I'd compare street-driven cars to tractors, RPM ranges are different and engines are built differently also. Taxis though -- see what the oil change intervals on those are, it's probably pretty long.

I don't see the need to push oil changes beyond 5K in my situation, what would I be gaining?

Stan

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
I don't know if I'd compare street-driven cars to tractors, RPM ranges are different and engines are built differently also. Taxis though -- see what the oil change intervals on those are, it's probably pretty long.

I don't see the need to push oil changes beyond 5K in my situation, what would I be gaining?

Stan
A few cents.

·
Registered
15 FORESTER CVT
314 Posts
A few cents.
I don't look at it as saving money per say, but more so an unnecessary expense. 3K was great when vehicles had basic mineral oil without detergents along with a looooong list of other additives. What is really important though is that is your car and you do what you please with it......... :biggrin:

Interesting side note about synthetics is that it was invented for the aerospace industry and first seen use during WWII.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts