Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, starting to get sucked into buying a Forester. I am not looking go crazy but while shopping I came across a 2005 STI SG9 JDM with quite a few mods, my other find is a 2007 STI with automatic transmission.

I really like the look and vision of owning an SG9 yet it has Zero Sport Exhaust. I intend to use this as a family car for drives to see family etc up and down the UK. Would anyone be able to kindly let me know their thoughts on the volume of this exhaust while driving in chill mode?

Is it going to annoy the wife and child on a 4 hour long haul? Does it have much effect on performance or is it just for show?

Any other advice you might have for a newbie would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
838 Posts
There will be more expertise along shortly I'm sure. I think with the STI's you have a 6spd gear box? In my XT it's only 5 spd so doing 70 on the motorway has me crusing at over 3000 revs which I'd imagine would be noisy with a loud exhaust...

I'm sure that's added zero information to answer your question, but blabbing away makes me feel useful...

Any chance of test driving it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any chance of test driving it?
Hi thanks for the response, blab away.

I can go for test drive so will find out later this week. As much as I want burble, I also don't want moaning from the ladies. I'm the sort of a person who would not enjoy ripping off a nice exhaust either and putting a quiet one on. :) I wonder if there are options out there with a switch of some sort, turn on for school runs.

I've seen a few 2007 XT Automatics around which might be more sensible for me, and I can add mods as I wish later. The SG9 is very appealing as it has that 6 gear system.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,936 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Dude go FSTi as you'll kick yourself having to spend your monthly allowance of £60 (something we tell the Mrs its what the recent mod costs) on the XT to make it the FSTi you never bought.
As to the zero sports exhaust, I have something similar being the H & S 3" downpipe to 2.5" center section with an STi Genome back box and can drive her pretty quietly with minimal pressure on the loud pedal albeit an animal when I push the foot down. No drone on motorway long hauls and a pleasure to drive.
You could always swap out the centre section for one with a resonator/muffler to quiet her down if you wish at a later date.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@highland forry Thanks highland, I probably will kick myself and not be happy with an automatic. How hard is it to swap these parts out yourself? If the Mrs moans I can always make a project out of it I suppose.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,971 Posts
Welcome to the forum

There was never an STI with an automatic gearbox so I'd be weary of what that vehicle actually is, even if it has STI stickers on.

The FSTI has some great benefits but also a couple of negatives
Greats
Getrag 6 Speed Bulletproof STI gearbox and drive train
Brembo Brakes
Colour options - My favourite would have to be the blue but some like the white too

Not so greats
EJ255/EJ257 that likes to munch head gaskets compared to the EJ205/EJ207 found in the Cross Sport
No heated front screen or heated front seats as standard - Was an option from the factory in Japan though from memory - If important to you
Imports generally need some rust treatment to save the underneaths as they don't carry it out as standard when in Japan - There was thread about this recently where Lockheed shared how he did his
Increased insurance?

So more greats than not-greats (y)

Exhausts can be quietened down depending on the tip design and how much work you want to put into it- I don't know specifically about the Zero Sports you mentioned
The easy option is to fit a bung, if the tip design allows this.
The other option is to fit an Apexii exhaust butterfly valve and run the control cable through the gear stick and run the cable into the cubby console/arm rest behind the centre cupholder - This would take more work but would let you quieten things down on the fly as it were, if you can find a butterfly valve
Like this:
70mm: APEXi 70mm Exhaust Control Valve
80mm: APEXi ECV Exhaust Control Valve - Pipe-Type (Manual)

If you were to change the exhaust out for something quieter, I believe the HKS Hi-Power Silent was the quietest from memory
Sound decibel chart: HKS MUFFLER SERIES

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, that's really helpful. I meant to say an XTen not STI for the auto, the STI is the other option. The colour I've found is silver but it looks in great condition, I must admit the black ones look great but I sort like the sleeper vibes from the silver.

A butterfly valve would be ideal.

While I'm here and have some attention can you advise on a good resource for a checklist of things to check when buying an STI SG9, I'm slightly worried that my lack of knowledge might catch me out later? Any unobvious ways to discover problems that come to mind?

Thanks for the welcome all.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,971 Posts
Where abouts in the UK are you @FlatBatteryMan ? There might be an owner on here that can show you around theirs to get an idea of a good example etc - Subject to Covid rules/laws in the various parts of the UK (Congrats Scotland on being able to go to the pub again finally)

These are posts I wrote in the past that should give you an idea of what to look for with regards to the XT - Excuse the American language as one was from the global section

The FSTI never got Self Levelling Suspension on the rear. The FSTI shocks can knock as they wear and can be a sign of trouble on the horizon - What you might wish to replace them for though is a whole rabbit hole of options with many hours of tea and coffee drinking to get through on here.

The FSTI also suffers from driver's side electric window switch failure occasionally - Very odd but not unheard of on here.

If it wasn't covered in the links above. The headlights have the ballast screwed to the assemblies below and water can get inside and pool, causing ballast failure. @Ianb1234 Did a great thread on how to remove the front bumper and play with the headlights from memory.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
838 Posts
I believe I actually have an XTen (manua version) I think XTen is just additional bits, so moon roof (sun roof?), Satnav pod etc..

As for my great thread :ROFLMAO: a lot of it was me talking myself through it as it's the first "major" thing I'd ever done on a car (unless you include changing wheels!). I had a lot of push and guidance from the guys here and so far it seems to be holding up. Pushed the boat out later on and did my first ever solo oil change too!

Not sure if anyone mentioned, the XT/XTen tax takes a big leap between years 06 and 07(or 08?), basically jumps up to £500+. There is a garage in Reading that sells one from time to time, that is where I got mine and another member, but we both discovered that the place they use to MOT them can be a little "flexible" on things... I didn't have too much of an issue, one sidelight bulb was dead, engine light also came on when I got home for secondary air pump failure, but it was mapped out locally and the dealer footed the bill. (But discovered in the handbook, unknown to the dealer, that the clutch had been replaced before, so I felt I had won a little) but keep that in mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey everyone thank you for the input, all really helpful. I've been super busy so had to forget Forester SG9 for bit as I was not doing my work. What do you think is a good price for an SG9 with 150k miles, 2 drive belt swaps, and yearly MOT with Prodrive and suspension mods, i'm off to see it today? :p

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,936 Posts
Hey everyone thank you for the input, all really helpful. I've been super busy so had to forget Forester SG9 for bit as I was not doing my work. What do you think is a good price for an SG9 with 150k miles, 2 drive belt swaps, and yearly MOT with Prodrive and suspension mods, i'm off to see it today? :p
Is it an FSTi or? 150k miles is a fair chunk considering I've a my04 FSTi and just tipped 100k miles. Paid 7.5k for mine when it had 89k miles but that was a fair deal as he wanted 8.5k. I've seen them go for as low as 6k up to 13k depending on age, condition, milage and location, this all being in GBP.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
838 Posts
My XT/Xten had just over 100k, think that was just under 3.5k... for reference....

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,971 Posts
Has the engine been rebuilt or had new head gaskets?

An XTen with a rebuilt engine, depending on how in depth it went could fetch FSTI money or more. If it included new pistons rings, hone, bearings etc. I would treat it as if the mileage clock had been turned back to zero in regards to the engine

If the head gaskets have been changed, it would give a lot of peace of mind for the future mileage you put on it, even with it being 150K now.......
Automatics are pretty understressed, so regular fluid changes and that mileage wouldn't put me off - The only question mark might be if it has been used for heavy towing regularly?
I would be looking for rust underneath as that can be a bigger headache to sort

What mods?

Have a look at the previous MOT history (Available free online) as that might give you an idea into the condition of it or how it has been kept in the past

Anything registered after 6th March 2006 will be on the higher tax bracket.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
838 Posts
If you haven't bought anything just yet, seems like someone is going to be selling an XT on here soon..

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,971 Posts
I'm an idiot and missed the thread 2 below this one - All is forgiven Ian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello all, I'm still here and buying, watch this space. Shall report back this week with news. Apologies for not getting back guys sooner, this bank holiday as been too busy. Your guide prices are where im at which good to know. :)

·
Registered
2007 Forester STi Manual
56 Posts
My old Impreza had a magnex-a-like 3" and a close ratio box from a 555. Top speed was 118 LOL. At 70mph on the motorway it was a nightmare. It was always in the right gear though..... And god it sounded good. Listen with headphones or decent speakers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My old Impreza had a magnex-a-like 3" and a close ratio box from a 555. Top speed was 118 LOL. At 70mph on the motorway it was a nightmare. It was always in the right gear though..... And god it sounded good. Listen with headphones or decent speakers:
That does have a nice sound indeed, it sort of has a good growl. I took the Mrs for drive today and so far no complaints from the Zero Sport exhaust, she said it sounded vintage lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts