Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester LL Bean
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should my forester brake pads and rotors last?

I am getting my second brake pads and rotors at 70,000 miles and am wondering if that is normal. I do a lot of city driving.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,870 Posts

I am getting my second brake pads and rotors at 70,000 miles and am wondering if that is normal. I do a lot of city driving.
Forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever
Just kidding.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Subaru brakes last ridiculously long for some reason. I changed mine at 40 or 50K, never had brakes on any of my cars last that long. Bizarre, it's not a light car.. if only they made body panels as strong as their brakes.

Stan

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,421 Posts

I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

IMO, it depends on your driving. You do lots of stop & go in the city, so there would be more wear. :smile:

All our vehicles are still running the original brakes, even the '95 Neon Sport :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
Really really depends on how you drive and how traffic is like in your city. Stan did really well in SF actually.. I only pulled off 33k on mine in the same city :p

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
My wife went through pads AND front rotors in 35k miles once! Now she's my X-wife.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I replace mine yearly just so I can get in there and redo all the bolts and grease everything. Rotors are done every other year. My pads are usually down to about 30-40%, but they wouldn't make it another year and before winter is when I generally have the most time to work on that sort of stuff.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X AT
4,235 Posts
I replace mine yearly just so I can get in there and redo all the bolts and grease everything. Rotors are done every other year. My pads are usually down to about 30-40%, but they wouldn't make it another year and before winter is when I generally have the most time to work on that sort of stuff.
Yearly? dang! Mine are every 4 years. You should be getting at least 50,000 mi out of them.

·
Registered
Current: 2019 Forester Sport. Former: 2005 Forester XS Manual.
13 Posts
I've got over 60k miles on my 2005 Forester XS manual. The shop says that the rear are almost to the point of needing to be replaced, but the front look like they'd been replaced recently (I haven't touched the brakes on my car since I drove it off the lot). :)

·
Registered
2007 FXT 4eat
260 Posts
on my 07 fxt front lasted only for 25k km, rear lasted for 35k km.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Yearly? dang! Mine are every 4 years. You should be getting at least 50,000 mi out of them.
Using HPS and I put about 30k on a year. I could probably push 40-50k out of them, but then I would be stuck replacing them later in the year, and I like getting in there and regreasing everything, and redoing all the bolts so nothing seizes. I hate noisy/rough brakes, so I probably do more maintenance to my brakes than any other part of the car. Also it means I always have a spare set of pads sitting around.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had my fronts done (pads and rotors) at 71.5k and just had my rears done (just pads - rotors were fine) at 92k.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just had my winter/summer tire change over and the service guy told me the rear rotors were shot. Sure enough there were deep grooves in both rotors and about 50% pad left. No sign of sticking or binding calipers. Front brakes are fine. I have no problem servicing brakes for normal wear but the thing is this Forester is less than 2 years old with 16000 Km on it. A 4 year old Mazda 3 sits next to it with 65000 Km on it with original pads and rotors with very little wear! Both are 5 speed manuals so brake use is minimal.

Go figure!

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,154 Posts
OP's Last Activity: 04-15-2010 03:14 PM

First Post is Last Post:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
Does it make any difference if you have A/T or M/T?
Some times yes, in stop an go traffic some automatic owners/drivers will ride the brakes. Which wears them down faster.

How it differs from a manual? The driver of the manual can just push in the clutch and coast/roll at slow speeds or to a stop.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I live in a very hilly area. When descending with an auto you have to ride the brake all the way down. With a manual you can coast down most hills in third gear without touching the brake. Also when approaching a light or stop sign you can gear down before stopping. You can practice this with an auto also but very few people do.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts