Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!! Just recently purchased my Forester and was wondering how long did all of you wait before using a DA Polisher on it? I have no problem doing everything by hand but the DA Polisher can get some good results as well. Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance!!

Best regards,

Otulp

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I'm not sure why you'd need to wait a specific amount of time to use a random orbit polisher and some good wax.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
The first thing I do with a new vehicle is wash it with Dawn dishwasher soap to strip off any old wax, clay it to remove rail dust and atmospheric contaminants, then I put a fairly coarse pad onto my DA and polish the crap out of it with Menzerna Intensive Polish including the plastic lenses and if I'm not pressed for time, I follow that up with Menzerna Final Polish, give it another bath to remove any polish residue and finally a paint sealer, generally something easy like Klasse All In One depending upon the color of the vehicle.

The bottom line is, don't be afraid of a dual action polisher with the proper pad and polish, you won't hurt the paint and remember the baggy trick, if you can place your hand in a plastic bag and run it across the paint without feeling any irregularities you are ready for wax, otherwise it's best to clay it first to remove contaminants so that your wax or sealer has a fighting chance to do it's job properly.

These guys have many good tutorials on auto care and they are nice to talk to on the phone if you have any questions, good luck.

ProperAutoCare -- Car Care Products, Best Car Waxes, Car Polishes, Auto Detailing Products, Car Buffers & Car Accessories

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
I am with the don't wait crew as long. I suppose if they built and shipped the car so fast to the dealer that paint cure was an issue you could wait but that is highly doubtful.

I am a but more conservative than Papa_D however. I also like the Dawn wash then clay the hell out of it routine to start (mine new one is 10 days old and I washed it once with dish soap but nothing else yet.

In general I do as little as possible and use the least abrasive product I need. If you have paint issues (scratches, swirls or other "dealer installed" defects) then you may need a stronger product. I would hope that is pretty limited however. Any time you hit it with abrasive you take off paint (clear). This should be done only as NEEDED.

I personally, will use a very light abrasive and pad to bring out a luster.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
….there is no need to wait. However, I mostly agree with Frito. Use the least aggressive method(s) necessary to achieve the results you are after. Simply buffing the crap out of a new car is not the approach I would suggest taking. What course of action & tools/products/process choices you make should be entirely based on your individual situation. The fact is that some new cars simply don’t need that much correction while others may have endured harsh treatment by dealer hacks before you took delivery. Proper assessment is key to determine what methods/tool/products are right for your scenario. As far as polishing via DA vs. by hand on a new car, if you have a choice then by all means use the buffer. ….no sense in making more work for yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts