Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So it finally happened. The original Panasonic Subaru battery in my 2000 Forester finally pooped it's pants tonight. I have known that it was getting week for awhile now, but I have been putting off getting a new one. I guess I just wanted to see how long this little beast would keep going. Well, the weather here has been brutally cold the last few days and it just couldn't survive until warmer weather. A good 7 1/2 years is not a bad run though. So what I'm wondering is, how long did your original batteries last, or, are lasting?

·
Registered
2003 2.0 X
14 Posts
My battery lasted 4.5 years and 118000 miles. The problem with the battery (UK Spec) for manual cars is it is a bit weak. I replaced it with a much higher spec battery. My 2000 Outback still has its original battery, nearly 8 years and 105000 miles! It is the Auto model and all UK Auto models have the higher spec battery as standard.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Um, 9 years and 172,000 miles. I replaced it when it didn't REALLY need to be replaced, but it was close.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
309 Posts
I replaced the OEM one this winter (7 years old with 139,000 kms) only because last winter one of my kids left their door open on it while I was away on a business trip and completely drained it. I heard that once its completely dead its time to replace. I did charge it up and it lasted another year but I just did not trust it.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,785 Posts
At 40k+ miles, mine is starting to show signs of weakness.
Lights dimming slightly when stooped at a red at night, ... first cold crank is a bit weak.
I've already got a redtop ready to go in when the OEM finally croaks.
In the meantime, I've got a small gel starter pack in the back just in case.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
5 cold winters, 4 hot summers, 97,xxx miles and counting.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
OEM battery went 4 years and 88k miles.

Perfect timing. I used my car to charge my phone the other night, and it killed the battery. Figured that was a sign to replace the battery. Jumped it that night, let it run for a while, and it was dead again in the morning. Jumped it again, drove it around a bit, and it worked for 2 more days, but I am not a gambling man, so I replaced it last night with a nice Optima Yellow Top.

I contribute the death to my recent audio upgrades when I installed a 5 channel amp, touch-screen radio/dvd/cd/receiver, 2 subs, a CB radio, an Ecutek Dash Display unit that has it's own mini computer with "Intel Inside". I am hoping to get my light bar installed in the next day or 2, then make a 900 mile trip this weekend and definately didn't want to be left out in the cold.

As to our other Subaru's, both our '01 and '02 Foresters kept their OEM batteries for about the same milage, but a year longer to get there. Both were replaced with Sears DieHard Golds.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback Prem 6-Speed Manual
130 Posts
my stocker will be 3 years old and still cranks.

my wife's panasonic battery in her 2k 4runner had to be replaced last summer - so, 7.5 years.

i guess panasonic batteries have some life in them.

joel

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
my 02 wrx oem battery lasted 61 months and 122,000 miles in northeastern PA. replaced with a optima red top through remy battery

our 07 fxt too early to tell!!

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
88,000 miles so far. It's a little weak, but I think I'm going to wait until the summer to replace, it still starts the car just fine.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,436 Posts
I replaced the OEM one this winter (7 years old with 139,000 kms) only because last winter one of my kids left their door open on it while I was away on a business trip and completely drained it. I heard that once its completely dead its time to replace. I did charge it up and it lasted another year but I just did not trust it.
Not true. Batteries can withstand a few deep cycles. Certainly, 1 deep cycle will not compromise the longevity to any great length.

At any rate, there is a Braille lightweight battery FS in the classifieds. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2017 Forester CVT
103 Posts
Still going strong since the 2002 original installation (that'd be 6 to 7 years on the clock, which is a lot).

55K miles.

I checked with the dealer, btw about the OEM replacement pricing - $90 US. I think to save $100 Suby-bucks and get the OEM again by the end of this year, just as a precaution. Tis a good battery, why go for anything else.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,347 Posts
I replaced the battery in MY03 last summer. It didn't need replacing, but since I was changing the battery in my son's 95 Neon Sport, I figured I'd do mine as well. I stayed with a conventional heavy duty battery.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 XS Premium 5MT
226 Posts
Still running very well on the '04 with +/-55 000 miles.

On my previous car, a 1997 Impreza, it lasted just over 7 years and 220 000 km and it was still in perfect condition when we totalled the car. :icon_frown:

1 - 20 of 191 Posts