Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how many miles everyone went through before they first plugged in their Cobb AP? I'm just about to breach 1000miles and i'm pretty anxious to install that stage 1.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Install it as soon as break 1,000 miles. No sense waiting any longer.

And I waited until 30K b/c that is when I finally installed my STi ECU so I could use the STi AP.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I had to wait about 3 months since they didn't have a AP out for my 05 when I got it in 04.

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
I had to wait about 3 months since they didn't have a AP out for my 05 when I got it in 04.
About the same for an '06 bought in '05. I have under 7,000 miles, and Stage 1. Now when I find time to put on that VF39.......

·
Registered
2006 forester XT AT VF43
441 Posts
Question...by installing a Cobb AP or a K&N Intake..does that void your warranty?. I'm a newbie..I have a '06 xt...love it and would like to see how I can improve things but also need to understand warranty..issues..thanks..deparko

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
The thing with mods like this is that if your dealer finds out you're running any type of engine mods they will almost always immediately blame that part for any issue. The law is that they need to prove that those mods caused the problem. But then it's little you against the big dealer and manufacturer.

Ideally, you'd find a dealer that supports mods like this. If I had a local dealer that sold things like the AP for maybe $50 more than I could buy on the internet then I'd probably go with them hoping any type of issue wouldn't be as much of a fight.

But chips are nice because it's not like the dealer can immediately tell what you've done.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that Cobb made any neccessary mods so that their programming is not detectable. I had my WRX is for many services, including transmission issues, running a Cobb Stage 2 with no issues but as Deparko said it's up to the dealer. My dealer was pretty cool where as I passed emissions even with a aftermarket TBE, they were cool like that. I just installed my AP the other night and after a day of driving with it, the CPU assumingly learned my driving behavior, that XT is a BEAST. Now I really want a Cobb catback to get that nice snarl to compliment the power. Be careful though, it'll make you want to upgrade the rims/tires, brakes, suspension, shifter, etc. I know I feel that way. Got my Kartboy SS w/bushing, my STi rear sway bar, and Ominori boost gauge waiting to go in.

·
11 sec club
04 Cayenne TT
1,486 Posts
JM1 said:
Ideally, you'd find a dealer that supports mods like this.
I agree. Talk to who is going to do the service on your car for warranty issues and see what they say. Just get a feel for them. And talk to the manager.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
If you want to have anything and everything covered under warranty, have your dealership perform all the maintenances.

Trust me, I will bend over backwards for somebody that spends money with me (or buys me donuts in the morning) as opposed to the guy that bought his car down the street to save a couple bucks and now wants me to warranty his trans :rolleyes:

·
6/22/76 - 12/21/14 , Gone but not forgotten
742 Posts
I couldn't wait longer than 2K. I tried, I really did, but I got a chance to ride in my friend's '04 STI before and after the Stage 2, and I went to the parts dealer the very next hour and bought it.

It makes THAT much of a difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts